Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Kent CCC 2018

Comments

• Options
    Well done Joe!
  • Options
    Yep, well done Joe !!
  • Options
    Great news, well done Joe!

Should really be in the ODI squad too in place of Dawson, but you can't have it all!
  • Options
    well deserved recall up for Joe Denly after an 8 year wait ! .. he's got better with age .. be great to see him win a test cap .. this shows that selector Smith (a man of Kent/Kentish man ?) is being true to his word and county form will merit international selection .. the same goes for Burns and Stone
  • Options
    Could Joe be a 21st Century David Steele?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    LenGlover said:

Cant see any resemblance of playing styles
  • Options

Incredibly well deserved! Well done Joe. I bet SNE is quietly fuming...

Joe's bowling has definitely benefited from the change of captaincy, Billings trust him far more

Playing overseas in T20s must have been a real benefit, the big crowds and pressure AND playing in the sub continent, and being able to practice his bowling there, alongside other spinners
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Incredibly well deserved! Well done Joe. I bet SNE is quietly fuming...

Joe's bowling has definitely benefited from the change of captaincy, Billings trust him far more

Playing overseas in T20s must have been a real benefit, the big crowds and pressure AND playing in the sub continent, and being able to practice his bowling there, alongside other spinners
    The stand-in skipper when Bilbo was away on IPL and England duty fancied his bowling too ...
  • Options

Congratulations to Joe for making the England squad.

Reckon Rob Key had something to do with that?

Well played tho joe
  • Options
    PeterGage said:

LenGlover said:

Cant see any resemblance of playing styles
    I meant in terms of being an unfashionable, long unfancied county stalwart belatedly making good in test cricket rather than playing style.
  • Options
    This is what happens when you are in the big boys league.
    Players get picked for England.

All joking aside well done Joe and good luck.
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

Steele never toured with England. There was no overseas tour 1975/76 (probably was scheduled for SA) and despite Tony Greig personally assuring him that he would go to India in 76/77 he was not selected, he is still bitter about it to this day. Graham Barlow took his No.3 slot and failed.
  • Options

Ironically, our squad, in terms of numbers, is now as light as it has ever been but the recruitment policy appears to have paid dividends with less of the squad being non starters.

In fact 8 players - Ball, Coles, Hartley, Barnard, Gidman, Hunn, Northeast and Tredwell - have all left in the last 12 months and been replaced by just 3 signings in the shape of Kuhn, Podmore and now Milnes although the emergence of Stewart, Crawley and Robinson has helped to fill some of those gaps.

With Blake and Qayyum and probably Claydon too only being used in white ball matches, we now have a squad of just 15 for Div 1 next season:

Bell-Drummond
    Billings
    (Blake)
    (Claydon)
    Crawley
    Denly
    Dickson
    Haggett
    Kuhn
    Milnes
    Podmore
    (Qayyum)
    Riley
    Robinson
    Rouse
    Stevens
    Stewart
    Thomas

Will await news of potential signings with interest although, as said already, the re-signing of Henry and a top batsman might be all that is required for the CC.

I imagine recruitment will be a little easier now we're in Div 1.
  • Options

SO pleased for our Joe, bless his cotton socks!

Thoroughly deserved for a hard working, no frills team player who gives his all for his county.

I,m sure he,'ll grasp his opportunity with both hands.....a safe pair of hands indeed

Here’s hoping.
  • Options
    Ivan Thomas has been operated on for an anterior cruciate ligament tear after injuring his knee training last week. Feel desperately sorry for the lad. He's 27 this week and has been dogged with injuries for virtually every season. Wish him a speedy recovery.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Ivan Thomas has been operated on for an anterior cruciate ligament tear after injuring his knee training last week. Feel desperately sorry for the lad. He's 27 this week and has been dogged with injuries for virtually every season. Wish him a speedy recovery.

Gutted for him. Any idea whether he’ll be back for the next season or not?
  • Options

Gutted for him. Any idea whether he’ll be back for the next season or not?
    I'm no expert but I would say at least six months and in could be up to a year. So we probably need to plan to be without him and the CC squad could now be down to just 14 (see above).

The good news is that we have the capacity to recruit - as opposed to going into Div 1 with say 20 players under contract of which half a dozen wouldn't be good enough.
  • Options
    CHGCHG
    edited September 2018
    Hopefully Henry might fancy a return. If not I think a similar bowler is a must for our overseas signing next season.
    Edit, just looked at NZ future tours programme, we will need to look elsewhere.
  • Options
    Stand up Joe Denly and take a bow, well done to the young whipper snapper.
  • Options
    CHG said:

Hopefully Henry might fancy a return. If not I think a similar bowler is a must for our overseas signing next season.

Shame if Henry not available as he fitted in well.

Rabada maybe or Parnell?
  • Options
    LenGlover said:

CHG said:

Shame if Henry not available as he fitted in well.

Rabada maybe or Parnell?
    Won't be Parnell - he's signed a 3 year contract with Worcs
  • Options
    Would love Rabada back.
  • Options
    Maybe a good SA bowler with our coach being well connected in that area?
  • Options
    Kent are batting first, 7-1 with Crawley our cheaply

Interestingly Riley plays at the expense of DBD
  • Options

Kent are batting first, 7-1 with Crawley our cheaply

Interestingly Riley plays at the expense of DBD

I'm sure DBD was already aware that he has become vulnerable but he really needs to go away during the winter and work on his game if he wants to be part of the CC Team next season. Pleased that Riles has been given another opportunity.