Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

On the up

Is it me or does everything feel a bit positive about Charlton at the moment? Everyone i speak to agrees that we now appear to have the firepower that will see us into the play offs, minimum. Along with the assurance that rd is on his way out, i don't think i've felt as positive about our prospects as i have sine we won the league 1 title. Genuinely expecting to turn up at the valley next saturday and see us tear oxford apart - haven't felt like that for a while, COYR!!!!!!

Comments

• While I don't feel I should comment about on the pitch performance or non performance as I don't feel I'm in the position to being an armchair supporter. I do feel theres a certain buzz about the club at the moment, it certainly started with the news the the club is being sold and her ladyship moved on. Nothing RM had to say enlightened me anymore than my expectations had already told me, maybe there's more to be said from him. I was particularly impressed with those in Blackpool this weekend, supporters, players and staff showed their class. That's something we've always done so well at and that was left in storage for the past four years while we fought a different battle. With the death of Jimmy Armfield and the immediate announcement there would be no protest but instead we would join Blackpool fans to celebrate a footballing legends life was a class act, but no more than I would expect of those representing this famous football club. I can't wait to return. :)
  • You seem to be forgetting one minor thing......

We are Charlton!

Since when did we do things the easy way!

;-)
  • Swisdom said:

You seem to be forgetting one minor thing......

We are Charlton!

Since when did we do things the easy way!

;-)

Too right! We are Charlton... where would the fun be if we just won every game, won the FA Cup every other year, moaned constantly because we were not in the top four all the time or hadn't spent £500,000,00 on Juan Fandango from Inter Juventus.
  • Definitely feel more positive for a number of reasons.

Whether we go up or not is unknown, but I feel that a corner has been turned.
  • edited January 2018
    DOUCHER said:

Is it me or does everything feel a bit positive about Charlton at the moment? Everyone i speak to agrees that we now appear to have the firepower that will see us into the play offs, minimum. Along with the assurance that rd is on his way out, i don't think i've felt as positive about our prospects as i have sine we won the league 1 title. Genuinely expecting to turn up at the valley next saturday and see us tear oxford apart - haven't felt like that for a while, COYR!!!!!!

I’ll have what your having please. I’ll only start feeling more positive when RD has sold up to buyers with some actual ambition for the club.
  • Went to Oxford (h) last year full of optimisim on a Tuesday night. We were on a good run if I remember rightly (for last season) and strong favourites. Ended up losing 1-0 in a game that makes its way into my top 10 (or maybe even 5) worst Charlton games I've ever witnessed.

As I'm able to go to this one, am predicting the exact same result and set of emotions.
  • Speaking of the worst Charlton games in recent(ish ) memory mine would be:

The one when we lost 6 nil at home to Leeds united late in Curbishley's reign

Another when we lost 3 nil at home to Southend but cannot remember when that was

The Millwall defeat that Pigott played in that I think was televised

The FA cup tie against non league opposition Forest Green (?) at the end of Powell's time in charge which was also televised and that was a defeat

That home defeat to Gillingham a few weeks before Christmas

The Full Members Cup final against Blackburn

Are there any worse than the above mentioned horror shows ?

• Some real horror shows when we were first relegated back League 1
    Too many to recall.
  • feels a bit too little too late.
  • Sponsored links:

• ashley said:

Speaking of the worst Charlton games in recent(ish ) memory mine would be:

Another when we lost 3 nil at home to Southend but cannot remember when that was

The FA cup tie against non league opposition Forest Green (?) at the end of Powell's time in charge which was also televised and that was a defeat

Dont be so dramatic and make it sound worse that it was......it was 1-6.

Re Forest Green - was that not a 1-0 defeat at Northwich under Parkinson?

See it’s not nearly as bad as you thought?
  • Ashley ,i think 11-1 at villa which i saw takes some beating
  • Brighton 7-0 was down there with the kids....
  • We have more to be hopeful about but we also know that we can still be kicked in the teeth.
  • ashley said:

Nothing will be as bad as losing a home cup quarter final to a side (Wycombe) 3 leagues below us.

Would've then had a 2 legged semi final with Chelsea. I doubt many (or any) of us will get to see a league or FA Cup semi final involving Charlton in much of a hurry.
  • edited January 2018

ashley said:

Nothing will be as bad as losing a home cup quarter final to a side (Wycombe) 3 leagues below us.

Would've then had a 2 legged semi final with Chelsea. I doubt many (or any) of us will get to see a league or FA Cup semi final involving Charlton in much of a hurry.
    I’d agree with the Wycombe game.... I’ve never felt so low after a game. Sheff Utd away in the Cup wasn’t far off though.
  • There have been numerous low points - fortunately you can blot most of them out of your memory.

The Northwich Victoria FA cup game was pretty dire.
  • ashley said:

I think you need to cheer yourself up and list a few best games! I think I was at all of your worst, except the Millwall games due to my brother in laws wedding, but as you say sadly it was on tv and I watched it. Funnily the Leeds game does not rank as a worst as it became a farce and almost pantominesqe, worse than that was the next week lising 1-0 to Birminham.
  • Sponsored links:

• My particular low, of which there are many, was the 2-2 draw at the Toolbox in the late 80s, having been 2 up with 4 minutes to go.
  • Grief I forgot about most of these. I had better take some happy pills. I remember a home defeat by Luton 1-5.
    In the eighties I think.
  • The 7-0 defeat at Brighton on my 30th birthday in 1983 is just one of a fairly large number of disappointments I have endured in the 59 years I have been an Addick. However, they have made the good times that much more enjoyable as they don't come along that often. I hope the next one will be confirmation that the Belgian idiot has crawled back from where he came from. Now that will be one of the highest points of those 59 years.
    To return to the opening post, I feel a little more positive about the quality of our squad and see a play-off space within our grasp. However that could be torpedoed should we lose one or two of our better performing players between now and when the transfer window closes.
  • edited January 2018
    Watford 5-0 away with Luzon kind of in charge, but without a work permit. The sign of things to come that day. The Fraeye era 2-1 cup defeat away to Colchester was bad too, you really could feel the anger in the crowd.

I hope we push on now with the new loan additions, but I agree with AFKA; too many false dawns
  • Croydon said:

Watford 5-0 away with Luzon kind of in charge, but without a work permit. The sign of things to come that day. The Fraeye era 2-1 cup defeat away to Colchester was bad too, you really could feel the anger in the crowd.

I hope we push on now with the new loan additions, but I agree with AFKA; too many false dawns

Those two certainly stick in my mind...

I am reasonably positive about our squad at the moment, but I had similar feelings earlier this season, and that didn't last so not getting carried away...
  • Find it slightly amusing that a thread about a positive feeling with the current team has turned into a discussion of the most abject CAFC performances ever witnessed within about ten comments.
  • Beating Arsenal after we should have been at least 4 nil down after 10 minutes.

Drawing with them 1-1 at Selhurst.

Happy Days!
  • Find it slightly amusing that a thread about a positive feeling with the current team has turned into a discussion of the most abject CAFC performances ever witnessed within about ten comments.

Just what I was thinking - does nothing to dispel the whiff of vinegar piss that's for sure - for me, any defeat against millwall is worse than anything else - luckily I wasn't at the 4-0 at the toolbox and also missed the old den one circa 88 when 2 up after 90 mins only to draw 2-2/ I've suffered at plenty of others though trust me. I'm currently under a similar gypsy type curse with a millwall mate I play snooker with