Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton women news - 2023-24 fixtures (p56)

Comments

• Options
    we were better in defence and attack but lost the ball quite a lot in the middle of the pitch, but overall good attacking and as others have said didn't give up, well done!
  • Options
    Davo55 said:
    Cracking goal to win it. Pleased for the girl who crossed it, having previously missed a sitter.
    She was grinning from ear to ear after that assist but before that looked devastated with herself
  • Options
    Thoroughly enjoyable game. Could have gone either way but our subs were well used and gave us renewed energy when we were tiring. Finished the stronger, the goal given offside should have stood as well. Definitely onside as the ball was played. 
  • Options
    Turned the game on in the 60th minute. Very rare that a match improves after I've started watching 😂
  • Options
    Win the game in hand and could be top!
  • Options
    Rob7Lee said:
    Win the game in hand and could be top!
    Our game at Lewes next week was the postponed game and is the only game scheduled for next week. So everyone will have played the same number then 
  • Options
    7.30pm Wednesday is the first league cup game, away at Spurs who play at The Hive, i.e. Barnet FC. Anyone wanting to go along and wanting a ticket in advance, they're £6.50 adults, £3.50 seniors from The Hive's ticket site. Nearest tube is Queensbury at the northern end of the Jubilee. For the rest of us, it will be live on FA Player; best to get signed up for an account on there beforehand, as some people have had problems getting in in the past. An away game at one of the best sides in the WSL is a bit of a big ask, but it will be interesting to see how big the gap really is. There's also a fair chance Kit Graham will be playing, which I think will be the first time she's played against us since she left. She was the stand-out player in our 2018 promotion side.
  • Options
    7.30pm Wednesday is the first league cup game, away at Spurs who play at The Hive, i.e. Barnet FC. Anyone wanting to go along and wanting a ticket in advance, they're £6.50 adults, £3.50 seniors from The Hive's ticket site. Nearest tube is Queensbury at the northern end of the Jubilee. For the rest of us, it will be live on FA Player; best to get signed up for an account on there beforehand, as some people have had problems getting in in the past. An away game at one of the best sides in the WSL is a bit of a big ask, but it will be interesting to see how big the gap really is. There's also a fair chance Kit Graham will be playing, which I think will be the first time she's played against us since she left. She was the stand-out player in our 2018 promotion side.
    Promotion?
    I assume you mean “our 2018 promotion chasing side”?
    😎
  • Options
    I was thinking of the side that won promotion to the Championship via the National League play-off in 2018, but it's fair to say she was the stand-out player in the 2018-19 promotion-chasing side, too.
  • Options
    I was thinking of the side that won promotion to the Championship via the National League play-off in 2018, but it's fair to say she was the stand-out player in the 2018-19 promotion-chasing side, too.
    Ah! I see. I didn’t realise we were promoted that season. Thought we’d been in this division a while.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Kit Graham making a real nuisance of herself so far. Very nearly scored just now. We're struggling to get hold of it, as you might expect against WSL opposition.
  • Options
    Well that was about as one-sided a 1-0 defeat as you could imagine. A really excellent display of defence and goalkeeping to almost keep Spurs out despite being completely second-best all game. We did create a couple of half-chances right at the end which could have taken it to penalties but I don't think we can complain.
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Yes, you couldn't see how we were going to score a goal but despite all of the play, Spurs didn't create much. It is useful to compare ourselves against sides like Brighton and Spurs and that looks to be our next step and for me that is only two or three players. I won't single any out as they all battled gamely but a few of ours were just two weak in the challenge and we need a bit of pace up front at this level. Of course we are playing at Championship level and we have a decent chance in that. But we find the right couple of players it could be quite exciting.
  • Options
    Brighton and Spurs are in the next tier after Chelsea, Arsenal and Man City (despite City's poor League form due to injuries)

1-0 defeats show a good defensive shape against teams that have been professionally run for a number of years now. It Augurs well for this season in the Championship where Durham look the strongest team and I believe Kit Graham's strike partner Ajupi at Cafc a few seasons ago now plays.

Lewes lost on penalties to Palace, and Cafc need to play on the front foot and beat Lewes to rise up the table on Sunday and make the game in hand count.

• Options
    Yes, you couldn't see how we were going to score a goal but despite all of the play, Spurs didn't create much. It is useful to compare ourselves against sides like Brighton and Spurs and that looks to be our next step and for me that is only two or three players. I won't single any out as they all battled gamely but a few of ours were just two weak in the challenge and we need a bit of pace up front at this level. Of course we are playing at Championship level and we have a decent chance in that. But we find the right couple of players it could be quite exciting.
    one thing I am not clear on is ages. I believe, but not sure, many of our players are young and near the start of their careers. Plenty of time for them to improve and strengthen. 
  • Options
    I have 3 potential games to go to over this weekend, including a FA youth cup tonight, a Kent trophy match tomorrow and the Cafc woman's match on Sunday. 
    May need some decent weather for me to do all 3 as I'm still recovering from a battering( caused by a storm) two weeks ago in Deal.

The Dripping Pan in Lewes would be a new ground to go to.
  • Options
    I have 3 potential games to go to over this weekend, including a FA youth cup tonight, a Kent trophy match tomorrow and the Cafc woman's match on Sunday. 
    May need some decent weather for me to do all 3 as I'm still recovering from a battering( caused by a storm) two weeks ago in Deal.

The Dripping Pan in Lewes would be a new ground to go to.
    The Dripping Pan is just one minute from the station. (It should be noted there are no trains between Victoria and East Croydon this weekend so London Bridge is the station to go for.)

I've arranged to my COVID-19 booster at 0830 on Sunday in Thamesmead so I can get there.
  • Options
    I see from the match preview that Shanell Salgado is now with Lewes. She was our second-choice keeper in the early part of our time in the Championship, before getting injured. Looks like she's second choice there now, as the preview says she played in their league cup game.

Anyway, more importantly, if we win this we're top of the league. Yes, we've had a relatively easy set of fixtures to start with and things will get tougher, but if nothing else it's a nice antidote to the doom and gloom elsewhere at the club.
  • Options
    I was surprised to see that another former keeper who joined Brighton is out on loan again. Katie Startup rejoined us on loan for a while last season and is now at Liverpool. 
  • Options
    edited October 2021
    Is it on the tv today?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Don't think so Ray....
  • Options
    Best pie I’ve ever tasted at a football ground. £4 for steak and ale. Full of tender steak. 
  • Options
    losing 1-0
  • Options
    2-0
  • Options
    Can I apologize to all Cafc fans ?

This is my 4th live Charlton match this season  after the defeats to Wimbledon, Wigan and Cheltenham.

Getting better this half but struggling to get a shot on target. Attacking well down the right but no one getting on the end of crosses.

• Options
    We have been pretty toothless throughout sadly.
  • Options
    The wheels on the bus came off today. Team selection was wrong.  Better 2nd half but not enough to get a shot on target. 
  • Options
    Never really got going today. Having been playing some nice football for most of the season but saw little of it today. Quite a scrappy game which Lewes were worthy winners. Lewes pitch seemed bigger than the one at VCD which made us much more disjointed (seemed it anyway!). Forwards had to try and feed off scraps. Work to do to be able to mount a serious challenge.