Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Seven Ages of Rock

I was really looking forward to this series but it's been a big disapointment.

This week looked at the punk boom in the 70's.

From the content of the program you'd think that the only bands to have any significant influence were the Ramones, Pistols, Clash abd the Buzzcocks.

No mention of the New York Dolls, The Damned, Conflict, GBH, Iggy Pop, The Jam, Sham 69 or even the Stranglers. And if you've got an interview with Don Letts surely they could also have found space for a mention of the record labels that helped pioneer the movement such as Charly and Stiff.

I suppose next week, looking at the Heavy Metal will be devoted to Black Sabbath.

Comments

• Options
    Guaranteed - it will be Sabbath, Venom, Iron Maiden and Metallica
  • Options
    I enjoyed the first one - the sixties through the story of hendrix but the follow up on Bowie etc was pretty boring. Not seen the punk one yet, but i guess from your message it has been well dumbed down - what a shame. Tired of hearing how the Pistols invented punk, it was alive & kicking years before that thru the MC5, Stooges, Dolls etc.
  • Options
    The problem with these programmes is that they seem to be concentrating purely on three or four acts per genre - which is fine if this includes one of your favourites but not if it doesn't. Also, there seem to be a lot of holes in the story, people being missed out completely in favour of other acts that were no more influential or important. All in all a bit disappointing really.

And another thing, apparently Led Zeppelin are being included in the "Stadium Rock" programme but not the heavy metal one - which seems a bit strange to me!
  • Options
    And Paper Lace have been completely overlooked. Pathetic.
  • Options
    the show was shite. they did mention the damned tho there was a brian james interview....still very poorly done, with no footage.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: DJ Davey Dave[/cite]And Paper Lace have been completely overlooked. Pathetic.

Davey, don't be a hero.

I actually saw the bloke from Paper Lace live at Pontins in Camber Sands when we went there for a mates stag do. He finished his set by singing Nessun Dorma - and very impressive it was too!
  • Options
    saw this too. don't like john lydon, they gave him far too much time to talk!

found it quite interesting personally as wasn't aroudn in that era so learnt a bit, but yeah, it was quite limited

really enjoyed the re-recording of st peppers by other artists. think it educated some modern bands into how difficult it was back then. i think kasier chiefs for one, were pretty humbled, and makes you appreciate how good musicians some of them really are.

last night there was a bob marley docu on bbc2, started to watch it but thought it was terrible. the brief that they were trying to deliver was poor. a year in the life of bob marley. 77 the year of exodus. there were accounts and opinons of random people who you didn't see just heard whilst they showed footage of things happening in that year, and with his songs playing in the back ground and occasionaly words from his songs scrolled up the screen in whichever random colour they saw fit. it was very messy, very confusing.
    the accounts by those close to him, relatives, friends from jamaica etc were interesting and interviews with him but it was far too messy. i gave up after 45 mins.
  • Options
    On the Maley Exodus show. Very strange. Great footage from 1977 but often not explained. A bit like a poor "rock and Roll years".

Would love to have seen more clips of Marley and the Wailers live and in interview but it was chopped all over the place and as Suzi says faceless uncredited vox pops.

Still don't think Exodus was even his best LP (that's what we used to call CDs you young uns) and this was shown by the clip of the original Wailers doing Stir it Up on Whistle Test in 1973. Wasted opportunity.

Seven ages was very strange. The punk show had some great footage such as Patti Smith "jesus died for somebody's sins but not mine" and the Ramones Live very early on but why focus on Television and not the NY Dolls. They talked about a London/New York axix but then went on about the Buzzcocks (great band) but they came from Manchester.

It was almost as though they looked a what clips they had and then built the show around it. Really skimmed over the impact and reason for punk and how it lead to EVERYTHING you see in rock now, good and bad
  • Options
    Punk did not lead to everything, it was just another chapter in the story that is Rock 'n Roll. Fact.
  • Options
    Many of the bands over the last 20 years have been influenced by punk. You may not have liked it, and there's no doubt that a lot has not improved with age, but it had a major impact on the music scene at the time and since.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    and would it be fair to say there hasn't been such an influencial era of music since?

not much in music is new these days, some is reasonably original, but its all taken from somewhere.
  • Options
    Think in 20 years time people will cite Oasis, Kaisers and Arctics as influences.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: suzisausage[/cite]and would it be fair to say there hasn't been such an influencial era of music since?

not much in music is new these days, some is reasonably original, but its all taken from somewhere.

Agreed - there are still some great bands around but little is brand new apart from bands such as Asian Dub Foundation
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Think in 20 years time people will cite Oasis, Kaisers and Arctics as influences.

maybe oasis, but to put the friggin kaiser chefs and the artic monkey boys in the same sentence is criminal, bordering on illegal!
  • Options
    only people that don't know any better. i wasn't around when punk turned up, nor in the 60s for the beatles or stones but arctics and oasis have taken their influences from that era.

was listening to the original "time is on my side" which i thought was by the rolling stones, obviously not, as wikipedia'd it when it was on, but it could have been amy winehouse for all the similarities. people think she's original, she's great, but its nothing new.

kaiser chiefs won't be remembered for much i dont think. oasis yes.
  • Options
    The Arctics will for their Attitude probably more than their music.

Morrisseys still performing so would he count?
  • Options
    Smiths and Morrissey would definitely count
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]maybe oasis, but to put the friggin kaiser chefs and the artic monkey boys in the same sentence is criminal, bordering on illegal!

Artics have only just started their musical careers, so time will tell. No fan of theirs but I'd listen to their stuff over Oasis who are nothing more than a decent pub band in my opinion.
  • Options
    Morrissey is a Legend.

The Queen is Dead is one of the best albums of all time!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Morrissey is a Legend.

superb album but all of their stuff is great
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: stonemuse[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]Morrissey is a Legend.

superb album but all of their stuff is great

Definitely. Thats just the stand out album for me.
  • Options
    Not a huge Smiths fan but Stephen Morrissey was a huge NY Dolls fan and very much influenced by punk.

Nothing will ever be new or fresh in rock as Little Richard or Elvis where in '56. Before then there was white music and black music. Now, as Joss Stone and Amy Winehouse prove, there is just music.

What punk did was to create an culture of anyone can do it. You don't need to have had classical musical training or 5000 watt amps. YOu could rip it up and start again, you could make you own records or fanzines and and people did . The current day version of this is Myspace and the Arctic Monkeys are a great example of this. Everything was laid open again and British bans writing about british subjects in british voices was allowed.

"You fall in love with
    Any guitar and any bass drum
    When you're young"
  • Options
    The Bromley Contingent should of been given a proper mention...
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Being from Bromley At the time it was great ,bloody good time and went to some great gigs,used to drink regularly with William broad(Billy idol)the oak widmore green,he lived in shawfield park,saw the Pistols at Ravensbourne College of art and design,Heartbreakers & 999 at bromley arts college, and used to go to
    Siouxsie & the Banshees rehersals in the basement of the the Jean Machine Bromley high street opposite medhursts,it was just a brilliant time.

Am i wrong in suggesting that music hasn't really moved on? or am i showing my age.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Never knew those details but wasn't living in Bromley then. Billy Idol lived in Shawfield Park! Very nice. My next stop from Widmore Lodge Rd when my boat comes in : - )

I don't think it is that music hasn't moved on and developed but there was not been the big leap that was punk. 10 years between Heartbreak Hotel and Sgt Pepper and 10 years between Pepper and God Save the Queen.

Maybe the closest was Madchester scene and rock music getting closer to soul dance music with kids no longer - from my distant view anyway - in either a rock or "disco" camp. The old tribes of pop (Mods, rockers, skins, punks, soul boys, funkster, headbangers, hippies, twotone, grebos, goths etc etc) just don't seem to exist or be that important anymore.
  • Options
    There still is a pretty decent punk scene in Bromley, with bands like Moosehawk and Wonk Unit playing at the Railway quite often.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: badger[/cite]
    Am i wrong in suggesting that music hasn't really moved on? or am i showing my age.

It has moved on, because there are so many different types of music now, that didn't really exist then, or are a phase on from soul and reggae - dance, r+b, rap and hip hop, trance etc. Might not be everyone's taste, but probably more popular globally now than pop and rock.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Friend_Or_Defoe[/cite]There still is a pretty decent punk scene in Bromley, with bands like Moosehawk and Wonk Unit playing at the Railway quite often.

Is that the pub opp. bromley Nrth st?
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Friend_Or_Defoe[/cite]There still is a pretty decent punk scene in Bromley, with bands like Moosehawk and Wonk Unit playing at the Railway quite often.

Is that the pub opp. bromley Nrth st?
    Yes, but Marian and Albert aren't the owners any more and it's gotten far too expensive!
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Used to drink in there when I worked in the office next to the station. Was a bit of a dive then.