Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cold vs Flu, aka Facts vs myth

124»

Comments

• Options
    Was scared mine was meningitis in early November, it was that bad, doc said viral flu.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    There's clearly a difference between colds and flu, but I think it's important that we don't use that fact to be dismissive of colds. There are huge individual differences in how one person will be affected to another. What may just be a sniffle to someone could seriously lay someone else very low.
    Agree.  I’ve still never had the flu and having listened to/read how people feel when they get it, I know that all I’ve ever had are heavy colds.  Just coming off the back of a 24 hour one and chest is still mucus’ed up.  They’re a pain.  I finished for work the Friday before last, but had I still been working, I’d have definitely had to take the day off.  If someone feels like crap, even with a cold, they feel like crap
  • Options
    Of course a cold is very unpleasant and in rare circumstances can lead to complications like bacterial chest infections. The real difference is that although when you have a heavy cold you might retreat to your bed because it’s warm and comfortable to do so, with an infection of influenza you don’t get a choice. You’re laid up in bed and can’t get up. Although just like with colds and other rhino viruses, there are degrees of influenza and how it impacts but a heavy infection of influenza compared to a heavy cold is like comparing Man City with Charlton.
  • Options
    I have had flu just the once, about 1970 in my early 20’s, I lost 6 days of my life in a semi coma.
    I can honestly say that if I caught it again now I would be hospitalised immediately and it would be 50/50 whether or not I survive.
    In a nut shell, if you’re lying in bed and a £50 note floated past the window you’d say fuck it, I’m staying right where I am.
    If you have a cold you’ll manage to go and fetch it.
    The number of people who call in to work and say they have flu but I’ll be in tomorrow, oh no you won’t, who are you kidding.🧐
    I think people say 'flu' because they don't have a better word to describe what's going on. Saying 'I have a cold' doesn't really cover it. And 'man flu' is such a stupid term is annoys me. 

If I have this correct I think the 'common cold' is a catch all for many types of coronavirus or a rhinovirus.  COVID-19 is a type of coronavirus. The flu is a range of influenza viruses and they can be relatively mild and present as a common cold, but do have the potential to cause far more damage to the lungs. 

What I am suffering from today could be any of the above, I haven't got a fucking clue. 
  • Options
    Same as SoundAs, had flu once and to date is the most unpleasant illness I've had. Nightmare just to get up for the bog. Always had the jab since. 
  • Options
    Had the flu before and severe glandular fever and was hospital for it, awful and wouldn’t wish it on anyone. There is a very clear difference between a cold and the flu but what I have noticed is that I have become far more susceptible to illness and when I become unwell, even a common cold, I’ll seem to get extremely run down very quickly.

I currently have some sort of cold or something. Started with chills and high temperature which moved onto headaches and body aches, and now have the really sore throat and chesty cough. Feel fine mainly within myself, but didn’t at first. Can’t even get through to the doctors and have to wait until next week Thursday for them to reply to an e-consult.
  • Options
    Sage said:
    Had the flu before and severe glandular fever and was hospital for it, awful and wouldn’t wish it on anyone. There is a very clear difference between a cold and the flu but what I have noticed is that I have become far more susceptible to illness and when I become unwell, even a common cold, I’ll seem to get extremely run down very quickly.

I currently have some sort of cold or something. Started with chills and high temperature which moved onto headaches and body aches, and now have the really sore throat and chesty cough. Feel fine mainly within myself, but didn’t at first. Can’t even get through to the doctors and have to wait until next week Thursday for them to reply to an e-consult.
    Sounds awful. Have you done a covid test? @sage
  • Options
    Sage said:

It sounds like you might have a post-viral issue. My friend had glandular fever 20 years ago and he says he has never entirely recovered and every sickness now is ten times worse for him. 
  • Options
    Sage said:

Sounds awful. Have you done a covid test? @sage
    Yes, all clear. Thank you.

Feeling better today to be honest, and hoping a good nights sleep tonight (fingers crossed) and I’ll be even better tomorrow.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JiMMy 85 said:
    Sage said:

It sounds like you might have a post-viral issue. My friend had glandular fever 20 years ago and he says he has never entirely recovered and every sickness now is ten times worse for him. 
    Exactly that. It’s difficult to explain but does seem to have had that impact where I never get just a sniffle or lighter cold anymore, but instead feel really rough. I’m either all good or not at all.
  • Options
    I don't know what I have (except I had Covid a month ago so it's probably not that), but whatever's torpedoed my Xmas has entirely robbed me of the ability to speak. Unfortunately for you lot, I can still type fine 
  • Options
    Leuth said:
    I don't know what I have (except I had Covid a month ago so it's probably not that), but whatever's torpedoed my Xmas has entirely robbed me of the ability to speak. Unfortunately for you lot, I can still type fine 
    the only thing to stop that would be a total paralysis .. Merry Christmas Voiceless One  o:)