Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

What would you look for in a "good" Charlton owner?

So we are in the final weeks of the RD era.

Im excited but at the same time hoping we dont just get another RD type character.

What characteristics do you think make a good football club owner, and what behaviours will you be looking for when the new one takes over?

For me an easy one will be how he or she handles the sale of players in the Lookman/Konsa/Gomez mould. In the recent past RD would simply pocket the cash leaving the manager to plod along with whatever has still had, basically zero benefit and potentially damaging to the squad.

If a new owner was serious about making Charlton successful we would see a huge chunk of that cash made available to the manager, and if we got another multi million influx of funds that could cover 4 or 5 quality signings at this level. Of course this kind scenario isnt something we would see straight away.

What are you thoughts on this?

Comments

• Deep pockets
  • Deep pockets

Which Roland had....
  • Common sense, business sense and an ability to connect with people, and a genuine affection with this club.
  • Sporting ambition.
  • Bags of cash, passion for football & a true desire to turn us back into a solid mid table premier league side.
  • edited January 2018
    A carbon copy of the polar opposite of any and every trait and idiosyncrasy that both Roland Duchatalet & Katrien Meire possessed.
  • edited January 2018
    I think somebody who has a plan, but is also willing to understand what the strengths of the club are and be able to incorporate them into the plan. That could be assets on the pitch, including the manager and finding ways to get the fans onboard. Football constantly changes, but when we last climbed into a Premiership team it was based on improving a bit every year for a few years. I think that is a great way for a club like us to achieve success.
  • Sponsored links:

• Clear ambition for the club on and off the pitch

The money to realise that ambition

The sense to know that achieving that ambition will take time and maybe take longer and be more expensive that she or he anticipated

An appreciation for the role that fans can play at a club like Charlton in achieving that ambition

A feeling for the history and traditions of the club and to respect and protect them

A willingness to listen to others and learn from their own, and others, mistakes.

An understanding and genuine belief that they are just the latest in a string of custodians of the club and their role is to eventually hand it on it better shape than they found it.

you missed out an 'exit plan'

:wink:
  • Just hope we don’t end up with some kind of disinterested charlatan ( not a word I get to use often!) would like a Daniel Levy / that Parrish guy at Palace, someone who cares about us, and has time, energy and finances to make it happen.
  • I think the current Brighton owner is the perfect example. Rebuilt the club, did all the right things, and its got them into the Premier League. Theyre pretty much the new Charlton.
  • Big milkers
  • stonemuse said:

Clear ambition for the club on and off the pitch

The sense to know that achieving that ambition will take time and maybe take longer and be more expensive that she or he anticipated

An appreciation for the role that fans can play at a club like Charlton in achieving that ambition

A feeling for the history and traditions of the club and to respect and protect them

A willingness to listen to others and learn from their own, and others, mistakes.

An understanding and genuine belief that they are just the latest in a string of custodians of the club and their role is to eventually hand it on it better shape than they found it.

you missed out an 'exit plan'

:wink:
    No, that was the last para
  • edited January 2018

Deep pockets and big tits

• Dazzler21 said:

Bags of cash, passion for football & a true desire to turn us back into a solid mid table premier league side.

I'd more than settle for a top half championship side.
  • Clear ambition for the club on and off the pitch

Plus a thick skin to put up with the abuse they will get the second they do something the fans don't like. Not a criticism of our fans, that is football fans all over the world.
  • edited January 2018
    CAFCTrev said:

I think the current Brighton owner is the perfect example. Rebuilt the club, did all the right things, and its got them into the Premier League. Theyre pretty much the new Charlton.

I think you are spot on here.
  • Sponsored links:

• CAFCTrev said:

I think the current Brighton owner is the perfect example. Rebuilt the club, did all the right things, and its got them into the Premier League. Theyre pretty much the new Charlton.

Same with the Huddersfield owner too

They maybe had a bit more luck getting promoted but his heart is in the right place with that club
  • My standards for good new owners has been set so low due to Roland. I would be happy if they turned up to games, communicated with the fans and could put together a competitive squad. It would be nice to keep hold of our useful young players for more than half a season as well.

Cant wait to get down to The Valley and start enjoying the basics again.
  • We're basically looking for our version of Patrick Cryne of Barnsley, who sadly passed away the other week.

All the traits that @Henry Irving and @bobmunro summed up above were what he brought to his club. We can but dream!
  • CHG said:

It would be nice to keep hold of our useful young players for more than half a season as well.

or at least invest the money of their sales back into the squad.
  • edited January 2018
    Saga Lout said:

Plus a thick skin to put up with the abuse they will get the second they do something the fans don't like. Not a criticism of our fans, that is football fans all over the world.
    I couldn't disagree more. I think if they are not arrogant idiots like Duchatelet and Meire who actually seemed to make an effort to tell fans that the owner did things how he pleased and fans just had to lump it, they will get a lot of support and encouragement from supporters.
  • Saga Lout said:

I couldn't disagree more. I think if they are not arrogant idiots like Duchatelet and Meire who actually seemed to make an effort to tell fans that the owner did things how he pleased and fans just had to lump it, they will get a lot of support and encouragement from fans.
    And will still get stick regardless from a few.
  • Maybe, but not most. I think Meire was a communications nightmare before she was gagged. She had opportunities to put an inclusive spin on certain things, but was more intent to feed her own and her boss's ego.
  • Someone who understands that ALL the senior non footballing staff must go, including Murray, little Tone & Parkes, we need a complete clean sweep.

Someone who is prepared to put a proper football structure in place and have a decent plan for the club.

Someone who is keen to get the fans back onside and then put in place a proper fans forum with ongoing organised dialogue.

Someone who is willing to invest sensibly and not just piss money away.

But finally and most importantly somebody who buys the whole shooting match, nothing to be left in the hands of the Belgian.
  • Good sense of humour, charm and a winning smile.
  • CAFCTrev said:

CHG said:

It would be nice to keep hold of our useful young players for more than half a season as well.

or at least invest the money of their sales back into the squad.
    Steady on