Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

What would you look for in a "good" Charlton owner?

Comments

• Options
    Deep pockets,and an understanding of football and football supporters wouldn't go amiss.
  • Options

Saga Lout said:

Clear ambition for the club on and off the pitch

The money to realise that ambition

The sense to know that achieving that ambition will take time and maybe take longer and be more expensive that she or he anticipated

An appreciation for the role that fans can play at a club like Charlton in achieving that ambition

A feeling for the history and traditions of the club and to respect and protect them

A willingness to listen to others and learn from their own, and others, mistakes.

An understanding and genuine belief that they are just the latest in a string of custodians of the club and their role is to eventually hand it on it better shape than they found it.

Plus a thick skin to put up with the abuse they will get the second they do something the fans don't like. Not a criticism of our fans, that is football fans all over the world.
    I couldn't disagree more. I think if they are not arrogant idiots like Duchatelet and Meire who actually seemed to make an effort to tell fans that the owner did things how he pleased and fans just had to lump it, they will get a lot of support and encouragement from fans.
    And will still get stick regardless from a few.
    Thanks Henry.

Many years ago I was on a train and got chatting to the guy opposite, who told me he owned a football club, I don't know which one as I was too cool to ask him!. Anyway, he said he had put millions of his own money into the club, attended all the games, listened to the manager, all those things we all want from our owner, yet he still got abuse for not doing enough quickly enough. This convinced me that when I win the Euromillions I won't be buying a football club .
  • Options
    Football ambition.

Respect for the club's history, traditions and fan base.

Financial stability.

A huge and perhaps unrealistic ask in the current climate but that would be a great initial prospect.

A shed load of cash to match the football ambition and develop the club on and off the pitch would be excellent too of course albeit remote in likelihood.

Don't expect them to listen or even overly engage with the fans as everyone's idea of what is Charlton and what is best for the club and should not be down to a vocal minority to dictate.

However as long as they want to do well football wise and don't jeopardise the club and alienate swathes of the fan base as the current mob have then surely it'll be an improvement on the status quo.

Been sick of the shite Duchatelet's ownership has bestowed on Charlton the past few years and in particular the petty in fighting and division amongst the fan base it has been a catalyst for.

Just want an owner we can all unite and get behind knowing they have Charlton's best interests at heart.
  • Options
    Any owner, of any nationality, race, creed, colour or religion. It doesn't matter at all. As long as they meet the following, four, simple criteria.

The new owner should:

1. Have an obscene amount of liquid assets
    2. Be fully committed to leaving a legacy of several hundred million pounds to a charity set up to own, manage and run Charlton after he - or she - dies
    3. Be at least 90 years old
    4. Be generally in very, very poor physical health
  • Options
    Most important thing is that they look like Gemma Arterton. :smiley:
  • Options
    Misogony
  • Options
    The surname 'Muir'
  • Options
    New ownership who took the holistic approach to running a football club where the tea lady is as important as the 25 goal a season striker (thou if it was a choice between the two they could get a academy lad to do the brew up) New ownership who embrace our history while creating their own place in the Charlton Museum to join Jimmy Seed, Alan Curbishley and Eggert Jonsson. New ownership who want football supporters not just customers. Where we forget the stench of douchebag and smell the roses of myrrh. In our history Roland is just a hiccup in the great burp of CHARLTON'S existence. The Renaissance starts soon.
  • Options
    Basically NOT Roland (or similar)
    Simple really
  • Options
    Any name starting with Sheikh or ending with Vic will do me, apologies for the fickleness but that’s football nowadays £££
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    A train magnate. Someone who made their money in the business of "big trains."
  • Options
    You do all realise that we ain't getting any of those don't you?
  • Options
    First order of business for the new owner should be to sell Konsa in the summer for as high as they can, then use most of that revenue to build a decent squad be it in League 1 or the Championship
  • Options
    stonemuse said:

Clear ambition for the club on and off the pitch

The money to realise that ambition

The sense to know that achieving that ambition will take time and maybe take longer and be more expensive that she or he anticipated

An appreciation for the role that fans can play at a club like Charlton in achieving that ambition

A feeling for the history and traditions of the club and to respect and protect them

A willingness to listen to others and learn from their own, and others, mistakes.

An understanding and genuine belief that they are just the latest in a string of custodians of the club and their role is to eventually hand it on it better shape than they found it.

you missed out an 'exit plan'

:wink:
    That would be sell when we win the champions league.
  • Options
    Bringing in Walk on Girls when the teams come out - would buck the trend for the major job losses currently being seen for this work in other sports
  • Options
    Someone with Champions league ambitions, money to do it, willingness to do it and the knowhow to do it.
    I know that sounds as unrealistic as it is but what’s the point of supporting a club unless you can dream of better things than you have previously experienced? I started supporting our club, as a boy in the ‘70s when we were the eternal 2nd , 3rd division team. In the 80’s I got my dream, we made the top flight but the gloss was taken away from it because of where we played and the lack money made it impossible to complete. The ‘90s were the things dreams for obvious reasons. In the ‘00 we finished 7th one year just a sniff away from my present dream.
    We may never reach the heights again that we did with Curbs but we certainly won’t even get close unless we have an owner who at least want to compete.
    Hopefully the present owner will bugger off very soon and we can start competing again.
  • Options
    Someone that decides to not start dancing if the team loses
  • Options
    Macronate said:

Good sense of humour, charm and a winning smile.

Wrong thread mate.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

A train magnate. Someone who made their money in the business of "big trains."

Pwoarr!!!
  • Options
    Mark Hulyer .......... with money
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Their attendance would be a good start.
  • Options

Mark Hulyer .......... with money

Mark Curry ....... with money (and free Blue Peter badges for all season ticket holders)
  • Options
    A shred of humanity.
  • Options

Any name starting with Sheikh or ending with Vic will do me, apologies for the fickleness but that’s football nowadays £££

All this sporting ambition, understands what the club stand still got blar blar blar isn’t going to happen, BR7 right it’s not millionaires we all want it billionaires who couldn’t give a shit about history the a club but what competition they can win by buying it.

Gone are the days of local business man gone good buys his local team and want what’s best for his beloved club

I just want someone who will make me proud to support cafc again

• Options
    Someone that is not so bad at PR that they won't openly say "you lot only equate to 1.5% of my business interests, so even though I decided to buy the business, it's not my fault it's failing, because it's not that important to me and I haven't got the time for it"
  • Options
    51% fan ownership of the club.
  • Options
    loads of money, willing to lose loads of it, attends games so gets the passion, lets the football people do the rest - and if a woman, got a nice arse and a decent set, ideally
  • Options
    Their wealth is largely unimportant to me. Surely RD has proven that having wealth means diddly squat.

I want someone who wants to win football matches and make Charlton as successful as they possibly can. The end.
  • Options
    Many of Billions of pounds in funds, that is all that is required and the willingness to spend it.