Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

League 1 scores

Comments

• edited April 2019
    Like how those who say they took 4-pts from us fail to realise we didnt have a full strength team when we've faced them - Certainly not in the first game
    Just for reference Marshall, Pratley and Lapslie all started that day

Bielik, Cullen, Williams and Sarr all not involved. 

If Sunderland fans knew that the 4 point line would be out the window.
  • Am I the only one who wants us to finish 5th and get Sunderland at home first leg. The way we're playing at the moment, I can see us winning both legs. Peterborough are the dark horses and spoil the party if any of us underestimate them
  • _MrDick said:
    Am I the only one who wants us to finish 5th and get Sunderland at home first leg. The way we're playing at the moment, I can see us winning both legs. Peterborough are the dark horses and spoil the party if any of us underestimate them

Peterborough are not even guaranteed a playoff spot yet plus I think Donny will win their last game.
  • edited April 2019
    clb74 said:
    se9addick said:

Imagine if Doncaster or Peterborough won the playoffs! 
    I might be the only one , but I don't agree with the play offs 
    I realise I'm influenced here by my love of Aussie Rules but the various play-off systems used in the leagues gives greater rewards if you finish higher in the table, the main thing being one-off matches with the higher-ranked team having home advantage and a second chance if you lose the first match.

For example, in a four-team system team 1 hosts team 2 with the winner going through to the final. Team 3 plays team 4 with the loser going home and the winner travelling to the loser of the first match.

It means that if you enter the play-offs in the final spot you have to beat all the other sides away from home in order to get promoted.
    Isn’t this system already in place in England though? I thought this was what happens in the National League South and North or something very similar anyway. 

(Edited first couple of paragraphs to clarify that this is the National League's current system)

There's something similar in the National League (and North and South divisions): the quarter-final stage sees 3 play 6 and 4 host 5, with the top two teams given a bye until the semi-final stage where they are at home to the winners of the quarters BUT there's no "double chance", a key feature in the Aussie systems.

The AFL has increased the number of teams involved in the play-offs (or 'Finals' as they call them) over the years, from four and then five teams in the old VFL days, up to six and now eight as the league has expanded from the original 12 in the VFL to the 18 now in the national comp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntyre_System
  • clb74 said:
    se9addick said:

Imagine if Doncaster or Peterborough won the playoffs! 
    I might be the only one , but I don't agree with the play offs 
    I realise I'm influenced here by my love of Aussie Rules but the various play-off systems used in the leagues gives greater rewards if you finish higher in the table, the main thing being one-off matches with the higher-ranked team having home advantage and a second chance if you lose the first match.

For example, in a four-team system team 1 hosts team 2 with the winner going through to the final. Team 3 plays team 4 with the loser going home and the winner travelling to the loser of the first match.

It means that if you enter the play-offs in the final spot you have to beat all the other sides away from home in order to get promoted.
    Isn’t this system already in place in England though? I thought this was what happens in the National League South and North or something very similar anyway. 

There's something similar in the National League (and North and South divisions) but there's no "double chance", a key feature in the Aussie systems.

The quarter-final stage sees 3 play 6 and 4 host 5, with the top two teams given a bye until the semi-final stage where they are at home to the winners of the quarters.

The AFL has increased the number of teams involved in the play-offs (or 'Finals' as they call them) over the years, from four and then five teams in the old VFL days, up to six and now eight as the league has expanded from the original 12 in the VFL to the 18 now in the national comp.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/McIntyre_System
    Blimey that’s changed a lot since the days I used to watch the Hawks at MCG. 
  • Rossman92 said:
    Blimey.  Hopefully knocks confidence out of both, they rest players and lose again Saturday so we can get Donny in the play off semi’s
    If Doncaster draw vs Coventry and Peterborough beat Burton, the Posh grab 6th. Nothing even close to cut and dry yet. Would love a chance to somehow get one over on Peterborough
    So would I....
  • Peterborough are in great form. Best avoided.
  • Congratulations to Luton and Barnsley. Over the season, deserved promotions.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rochdale are no pushover, looking at that!
  • edited May 2019
    Peterborough only recently lost to Walsall... WALSALL!!!

They're far too Jekyll and Hyde for me - Not convinced they can get the result they need against Burton
  • That goals conceded column for us though compared to everyone else is frightening

Charlton (5) | Portsmouth (13) | Sunderland (12) | Doncaster (13)
    ....and look at Peterborough. Conceded more than they scored.
  • the only sad thing is a couple of results and we would be right in the mix/up. the penalty miss against pboro and loss to oxford spring to mind
  • Redrobo said:
    That goals conceded column for us though compared to everyone else is frightening

....and look at Peterborough. Conceded more than they scored.
    Not to mention the goals conceded over the course of the entire season rather than just form

Charlton (40) | Portsmouth (50) | Sunderland (45) | Doncaster (58) | Peterborough (61); Only Barnsley have a better defence than us in the whole Division - We keep it tight during the Play-Offs and make no stupid mistakes then we surely stand the best chance
  • the only sad thing is a couple of results and we would be right in the mix/up. the penalty miss against pboro and loss to oxford spring to mind
    Maybe, but its important not to look at with bias. Doncaster goal ruled out in the last minute, a ridicolous amount of penalties given this season some of which are very suspect (luton, Oxford H) come to mind.
  • Sponsored links:

• anyway not worried about anyone we are the best team in the playoffs so hopefully get the job done, we are 3rd faves in the betting market 

pompey 7/4
    sunderland 7/4 
    charlton 4/1
    doncaster 8/1
    peterborough 20/1
  • Strange odds. If I had any money I'd get involved. 
  • Peterborough seem to start every season scoring plenty of goal, winning games, then they have a slump and then finish well just missing the playoffs.
  • That goals conceded column for us though compared to everyone else is frightening

Stunningly good

• Oh dear .... you mean we're no longer underdogs? I'm not sure I'm very comfortable with that. And first off, Rochdale might not be such a push-over. Maybe they've got used to winning and they find they like it and want to do it some more. I think this is going to be a very big game, a play-off prequel.

What a fabulous job our coaching staff have done to get us this far, how brilliantly the team have  overcome so many difficulties, and what a thankless task it must feel like to be involved with an absentee Owner such as ours. It seems we must always do things the hard way. So really that makes us underdogs after all, right?

• Such a big game that I might even check the score during my first league cricket match of the season 

• Oh dear .... you mean we're no longer underdogs? I'm not sure I'm very comfortable with that. And first off, Rochdale might not be such a push-over. Maybe they've got used to winning and they find they like it and want to do it some more. I think this is going to be a very big game, a play-off prequel.

What a fabulous job our coaching staff have done to get us this far, how brilliantly the team have  overcome so many difficulties, and what a thankless task it must feel like to be involved with an absentee Owner such as ours. It seems we must always do things the hard way. So really that makes us underdogs after all, right?

Depends where we finish; if we take third then no we cant be considered Underdogs

If we stay fifth then yes we are still as based on League position you've got to favour the two teams that finish above us
  • Play offs are class. Without them our season would of been dead by Jan like most. Would you really be bothered and interested mid table in jan? I wouldn't. The play offs are a great idea. 
    How would our season have been dead in Jan when we were in the race for 2nd about 3 weeks ago? 
    If I'm correct, in January we were some way of the top 2. We needed to keep winning to solidate our play off place as I remember being tight. Then I belive a win against pompy in march made pretty sure of play offs.

What I'm trying to say is without play offs there would be no interest by Jan. Teams would be on holiday mode for pretty much half the season. 

Also can you beat a play off? Just a pure emotion roller-coaster, one I cant wait to ride. Just hope we turn up this year at minimum. 

• No, I'm sorry Mr Addickted (or may I call you Forever) - I can't accept that fifth means automatic underdoggishness. If 3rd to 5th all win we stay 5th, but on current form we are actually well ahead. Ignoring the early-season table distortions our lowest point has been 13th on 27 Oct, by coincidence the last time we played Rochdale. Since then we've been pretty steadily on the march, and it's only the consistency of our rivals that have held us back in 5th.

Although I am the eternal optimist I'm not happy being top dog - something's not normal!!