Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Things to do at Feb half term

Comments

• Options
    cafcpolo said:

LenGlover said:

razil said:

What are those with little ones up to?

My missus usually organises a programme with military precision.

This year for a change im lucky enough to be spending three days with 8 year old son.

En route Portsmouth for the Victory, then next on tomthe tank museum in Dorset.

Should be other stuff to see, perhaps in Dorchester.

I think Monkeyworld is quite near Portsmouth. There is also Peppa Pig World down that way although he may have outgrown Peppa Pig at the age of 8.
    Nope, Monkey World is right by the Tank Museum...Peppa Pig World is part of a larger place called Paultons Park. Aged 8 is a pretty good age to be going there (not to the Peppa Pig world bit). You drive past Paultons Park on the way to Monkey World from Portsmouth, it's J2 of the M27, a little after Southampton.

You've got the Sealife Centre @ Weymouth which is a short drive on from the Tank Museum. Not bad for the kids.
    Can confirm monkey world is near tank museum. I grew up a stones throw a way from both. In fact, I once held a baby monkey when I was 16 during my shift at the local village shop. The monkey world owners used to pop in after work.
  • Options
    Dumped the kids on my parents for a couple of days. They've gone to the Bluebell Railway today, as its kids for a quid this week. A nice little day out if you're in to steam trains. And who isn't eh? They're going to the sea life centre in Brighton tomorrow, which is pretty good from memory. I'll be down the pub for the next couple of evenings :-)
  • Options

cafcpolo said:

LenGlover said:

razil said:

This year for a change im lucky enough to be spending three days with 8 year old son.

I think Monkeyworld is quite near Portsmouth. There is also Peppa Pig World down that way although he may have outgrown Peppa Pig at the age of 8.
    Nope, Monkey World is right by the Tank Museum...Peppa Pig World is part of a larger place called Paultons Park. Aged 8 is a pretty good age to be going there (not to the Peppa Pig world bit). You drive past Paultons Park on the way to Monkey World from Portsmouth, it's J2 of the M27, a little after Southampton.

You've got the Sealife Centre @ Weymouth which is a short drive on from the Tank Museum. Not bad for the kids.
    Can confirm monkey world is near tank museum. I grew up a stones throw a way from both. In fact, I once held a baby monkey when I was 16 during my shift at the local village shop. The monkey world owners used to pop in after work.
    Quite possibly my favourite ever post in 10 years of reading this forum.

If ever a post sums up the depth and breadth and broad range of topics discused on CL this is up there.

:-)
  • Options
    Swisdom said:

We are going to Efteling on Thursday afternoon and coming back on Sunday evening. It's a theme park in Eindhoven. Looks a lot of fun - if a little nippy at the moment. I reckon the kids will enjoy themselves and me and wifey get to spend a few days away from the grief of work.

https://efteling.com/en

aside from that they are outwith Grandma today and then childminders for Tuesday and Wednesday

@Swisdom @blackheathaddick
    Efteling is fantastic, I put the Pandadroom attraction in, probably 10-years ago now.
    It’s probably only super fantastic up to the age of 8 or 9 though although I think they do have a couple more grown up rides now for teenagers they didn’t really when I was last there.
    Lovely place but yeah it will be totally freezing.
    It’s rumoured a certain Mr Disney visited the park just prior to starting up his own moderately successful business and when you see their main character “Pardooes”(nb may be spelt incorrectly) you can certainly see a bit of a likeness to a particular mouse, especially around the eyes which they’re all still a bit annoyed about.....
    Stay at the parks hotel and even though the nippers won’t have heard of any of them they’ll still be entertained by free characters at breakfast and make sure you try all the meat and soup products in the park restaurants literally stunning food compared to any of the slop Merlin would serve up....Enjoy
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    McBobbin said:

Booked to see Coco at the cinema, then daughter wants a maccy D. It's amazing what passes for a treattorture when you are 6. Planning a bike ride as well.

• Options
    Ski-ing. A bit late for this year but worth considering for next year.

From experience, I can recommend travel insurance.
  • Options
    T_C_E said:

Me, 4 dogs, 30 on loan children and a ladder are waiting at the station for that miserable git @cantersaddick. ;)

I like being miserable. It makes me happy!
  • Options
    Dinosaurs in the wild is £22 for kids. Bit of a piss take.
  • Options
    There is a dinosaur museum in central Dorchester, worth an hour or so.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

£26 actually and £29.50 for adults. Looked it up this morning whilst looking for ideas. utter piss take.

We ended up down Leeds Castle. Expensive there but the entry fee gives 12 months access and think we’ve had 4 visits in those 12 months. Gorgeous place when the sun is out, so works out decent value.

One of my boys did the maze in just under 3 mins while it took me 13 mins!

What to do tomorrow...
  • Options
    Greenwich
    Take their wellies, check the tides and do some mudlarking.
    Thames clipper just for the ride
    The museum is free.
    The market has stuff going on for kids.
  • Options
    Chislehurst caves (if you haven't already been)?
    London Transport museum?
    https://ltmuseum.co.uk
  • Options
    There's an aviation museum down in Eastchurch that's free, Leysdown for fish and chips and a nature reserve but it's bloody cold, the Minster here in Minster.
  • Options

£26 actually and £29.50 for adults. Looked it up this morning whilst looking for ideas. utter piss take.

We ended up down Leeds Castle. Expensive there but the entry fee gives 12 months access and think we’ve had 4 visits in those 12 months. Gorgeous place when the sun is out, so works out decent value.

What to do tomorrow...
    If you've checked the weather forecast it'll need to be something indoors.
  • Options
    cafcpolo said:

LenGlover said:

razil said:

And don't forget Swanage Steam railway if you are in the area.
  • Options
    Fumbluff said:

Swisdom said:

We are going to Efteling on Thursday afternoon and coming back on Sunday evening. It's a theme park in Eindhoven. Looks a lot of fun - if a little nippy at the moment. I reckon the kids will enjoy themselves and me and wifey get to spend a few days away from the grief of work.

https://efteling.com/en

aside from that they are outwith Grandma today and then childminders for Tuesday and Wednesday

@Swisdom @blackheathaddick
    Efteling is fantastic, I put the Pandadroom attraction in, probably 10-years ago now.
    It’s probably only super fantastic up to the age of 8 or 9 though although I think they do have a couple more grown up rides now for teenagers they didn’t really when I was last there.
    Lovely place but yeah it will be totally freezing.
    It’s rumoured a certain Mr Disney visited the park just prior to starting up his own moderately successful business and when you see their main character “Pardooes”(nb may be spelt incorrectly) you can certainly see a bit of a likeness to a particular mouse, especially around the eyes which they’re all still a bit annoyed about.....
    Stay at the parks hotel and even though the nippers won’t have heard of any of them they’ll still be entertained by free characters at breakfast and make sure you try all the meat and soup products in the park restaurants literally stunning food compared to any of the slop Merlin would serve up....Enjoy
    Cheers - we are staying st the hotel there and very much looking forward to it. Will report back next week

• Options
    Davo55 said:

I believe Dippy the Diplodocus has just started his UK tour in Dorchester this weekend too.
  • Options

What to do tomorrow...
    Going on friday if it doesn't rain!
  • Options
    Any of you lot going down to that Eden project this week I’ve still got an annual male adult ticket left over from last year. I’m never gonna use it again so happy to send it on. If not for half term I think it’s valid up until July
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

What to do tomorrow...
    @AFKABartram What is Leeds castle like for 6 and 3 year old. Is there much to do? Was looking at it today but decided we may go in the Easter holidays as it’s a bit too cold now.
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Dino thing at Greenwich pen was a bit pricey I think we got preview tickets a little cheaper (a lot of things are about that price nowadays). Got into Portsmouth historic harbour to see all the attraction with reciprocal membership of RMG Greenwich, still £29 for two of including student discount too. The Dino thing at Pen is actually top quality though and recommended age is 5+.

• Options
    Dylan said it was his best day ever and loved both ships - particularly now I can bore him with naval history. He thought the Mary Rose was like the ghost ship in the latest pirates movie
  • Options
    Drive to work in half the time!
  • Options

I think the standard thing to do is get on a busy commuter train with 4 children, 8 bags, a dog, a pram and a ladder. Get on the front of the train as that is the busiest part and start ordering commuters around so you can sit some of your little shits together. Complain you cant all fit in together. Block the doors with your pram/buggy. Do nothing while your little shits scream their heads off, cry, kick people, and generally annoy literally everyone on the train. Push through people to take the little shits to the toilet one by one. Delay the teain leaving by about 15 mins whilst you gather each of your little shits bags, toys and items together before getting off the train.

Just generally go out there to ruin people's day.

That's what people usually do at half term.

Still better than dickheads with fold up bikes mind.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

What to do tomorrow...
    @AFKABartram What is Leeds castle like for 6 and 3 year old. Is there much to do? Was looking at it today but decided we may go in the Easter holidays as it’s a bit too cold now.
    They do an Easter treasure hunt there for kids and there's a decent play area.
  • Options

Davo55 said:

I believe Dippy the Diplodocus has just started his UK tour in Dorchester this weekend too.
    Nope, still in Charlton I'm afraid
  • Options
    Nicholas said:

What to do tomorrow...
    Kids of that age will find the castle itself boring however if you buy some bird feed when you pay they will have a great time feeding the ducks/swans/geese whilst walking through to where the attractions are, plus they can have a good runaround.

There is a large outside play area with a lot of climbing/hiding places for them to burn off some energy. Next to this is an outside cafe that is good for a burger/cake, coffee/tea.

The maze is just up from the play area and there is a bird of prey display at certain times of the day/year which is very good.

There is also a land train that you can get to ride around the grounds that the kids love....choo, choo.

And of course no attraction would be complete without the obligatory exit via a gift shop where the kids will unburden you of your hard earned cash buying toot that will be in the bin by Easter.

And as others have said your ticket is good for 12 months so you can do it all over again.
  • Options

What to do tomorrow...
    bit further afield but Drusillas Zoo near Eastbourne is a great little zoo for kids.