Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Great songs that you suddenly remember

Comments

• Friday on my Mind - Easybeats, proper fun pop song, give it a listen

Great song. Bowie's version on Pin Ups is pretty good too.
  • Caught myself humming River Deep Mountain High while I was out with the dogs this morning. I was coming down a small hill with stream at the bottom. My brain must be in a thousand billion times exaggeration mode this morning.
  • bobmunro said:

Friday on my Mind - Easybeats, proper fun pop song, give it a listen

Great song. Bowie's version on Pin Ups is pretty good too.
    Wasn’t aware of a Bowie version, knew that Springsteen had covered it, will have a look for it, cheers for the heads up
  • Having looked at the quiz questions from the other night that @Henry Irving posted I thought of Norman Smith our old player.

Norman Smith (not our old player) was a record producer involved with The Beatles and also did his own stuff as Hurricane Smith in the early seventies.

Hence why I suddenly found myself singing 'Don't Let It Die'

In my head only I hasten to add. I wouldn't subject the world at large to my singing voice unless as part of a large crowd.
  • Just heard "Where I find my heaven" by the Gigolo Aunts. Quality tune, and not heard it since Game On finished
  • Bill Withers- ''Ain't No Sunshine''
  • edited February 2018
    Fifteen feet of pure white snow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sfhvxTZ0wo
  • All I Want For Christmas Is a Dukla Prague Away Kit - Half man half biscuit

or

The Trumpton Riots
  • magic1999 said:

All I Want For Christmas Is a Dukla Prague Away Kit - Half man half biscuit

or

The Trumpton Riots

Half Man, Half Biscuit have some of the greatest ever song titles, best of which I think is I Left My Heart in Papworth General.
  • Sponsored links:

• King of Rock n Roll - Prefab Sprout

I trump that with Cars and Girls.
  • A couple I've come across recently:

Smokin' in the Boys' Room - Brownsville Central Station
    Pinball - Brian Protheroe
  • Light in your eyes Todd rungren
  • fadgadget said:

Girls Talk - Dave Edmunds. I can't remember what programme but it was randomly plonked on something last week. It took me back to a great free lunch-time gig Rockpile did in The Three Tuns bar at the LSE around 1978. Pub rock as an art form.

One of my Fav songs along with Nick lowe , Cruel To Be Kind .
    I love the sound of breaking glass - another Lowe corker.
  • LenGlover said:

Having looked at the quiz questions from the other night that @Henry Irving posted I thought of Norman Smith our old player.

Norman Smith (not our old player) was a record producer involved with The Beatles and also did his own stuff as Hurricane Smith in the early seventies.

Hence why I suddenly found myself singing 'Don't Let It Die'

In my head only I hasten to add. I wouldn't subject the world at large to my singing voice unless as part of a large crowd.

Don't Let it Die - my first ever favourite song.
  • When I’m dead and gone -McGuiness Flint
  • edited March 2018
    Absolute played The Weight, by The Band. Seriously good.
  • Girls Talk - Dave Edmunds. I can't remember what programme but it was randomly plonked on something last week. It took me back to a great free lunch-time gig Rockpile did in The Three Tuns bar at the LSE around 1978. Pub rock as an art form.

Your post brought this to mind and made me want to say “Well answer the fucking door” good tune.

https://youtu.be/TTwJr2NJmJQ
  • Arms of Mary..sutherland brothers
  • edited March 2018

King of Rock n Roll - Prefab Sprout

King of Rock n Roll - Prefab Sprout

I trump that with Cars and Girls.
    One of my favourites of theirs Wild Horses https://youtu.be/Zv_jxrAMThI
  • Sponsored links:

• Joe Jackson - Stepping Out
  • 3blokes said:

Was just noodling around on the guitar earlier, and suddenly remembered “ Debris” by Ronnie Lane from the Faces Nod’s as good as a wink album.
    Dug it out, as I realised how much I used to like it. What a track. Back when the other Ron and Rod were also at the top of their game imho.
    It’s here if anyone else wants a listen -

Http://youtu.be/0sSXQtkFwtw

Wrote it about his dad apparently. Think that is one of my all time favourite songs.

Just played the whole album on cassette twice over...
  • Girls Talk - Dave Edmunds. I can't remember what programme but it was randomly plonked on something last week. It took me back to a great free lunch-time gig Rockpile did in The Three Tuns bar at the LSE around 1978. Pub rock as an art form.

Your post brought this to mind and made me want to say “Well answer the fucking door” good tune.

https://youtu.be/TTwJr2NJmJQ
    This was No.1 when I first started listening to music, along with ‘When I’m dead and gone’ which I think was at no. 2 at the time.
    I can remember listening to the Dave Edmunds’ track and wondering if this was the fabled “ underground” music being talked about by everyone at school, because his voice sounded to me like it had been recorded at an underground station.
    I hadn’t heard of ‘reverb’ back then.
  • edited March 2018
    I checked my phone this morning for the weather temperature then began singing “When will I see you again, when will we share precious moments.....”
  • Solidgone said:

I checked my phone this morning for the weather temperature then began singing “When will I see you again, when will we share precious moments.....”

Do you normally sing that to your phone?
  • lolwray said:

Arms of Mary..sutherland brothers

and quiver, wasn’t it?
  • bobmunro said:

Only You - Yazoo

Written by Vince Clarke just before he left Depeche Mode! Offered it to them initially but they turned it down! Oh well.

Mind you, Moyet's original version is excellent and no one else has done it justice like she did/still does in my opinion.
    Great song. Am I alone in believing The Flying Pickets version is the best?
    No, I do too.
  • Solidgone said:

I sing this song when I look down in the shower
  • Solidgone said:

Do you normally sing that to your phone?
    I suppose I should have mentioned that the temperature was 3 degrees.