Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Great songs that you suddenly remember

13»

Comments

• Played today on 6 Music -

Prairie Rose by Roxy Music

Loved the song some 43 years ago!!
  • A partial list of songs I've recently rediscovered (I am truly ashamed I forgot about the first one btw):

- Helicopter - Bloc Party
    - Walking on Broken Glass - Annie Lennox
    - My Number - Foals
    - I'll Take You There - Staple Singers
    - Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) - Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings
    - Hit Me With Your Best Shot - Pat Benatar
    - 1 Thing - Amerie
    - Fishing For A Dream - Turin Brakes
    - It's Oh So Quiet - Bjork
  • PaddyP17 said:

A partial list of songs I've recently rediscovered (I am truly ashamed I forgot about the first one btw):

- My Number - Foals
    - Just Dropped In (To See What Condition My Condition Was In) - Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings
    - 1 Thing - Amerie

I have got this by Marcel Bontempi, never heard this version, really good!
  • Moonlight feels right - starbuck.
  • Sensei said:

Played today on 6 Music -

Prairie Rose by Roxy Music

Loved the song some 43 years ago!!

Great song.
  • Starship Trooper.....Yes.
    Always takes me back to happier days.

Did you get the tissues out?
  • Caroline by Machin Mole
  • edited March 2018
    PaddyP17 said:

A partial list of songs I've recently rediscovered (I am truly ashamed I forgot about the first one btw):

- My Number - Foals
    - 1 Thing - Amerie

Try the Bettye Lavette version :smiley:
  • Not sure if this has been mentioned already.

Driving home last night I got pissed off with Radio 4 so changed to my iPod and randomly fancied listening to some Bee Gees. I like their early stuff more than post Night Fever and have always recognised them as brilliant song writers (for themselves and for others). I had forgotten what a great song "Ive gotta get a message to you' is. Must have played it four or five times, singing along on my own at the top of my voice.
  • Up town top rankin.
    Dunno why but someone put this on at work today. No idea what it's about but not heard it for years.
  • Sponsored links:

• Then Jericho-The Motive & Big Area
    Icicle Works- Love is a Wonderful Colour
  • A Girl Like You - Edwyn Collins

https://youtu.be/YcsfjbqaZ2o
  • bobmunro said:

Not sure if this has been mentioned already.

Driving home last night I got pissed off with Radio 4 so changed to my iPod and randomly fancied listening to some Bee Gees. I like their early stuff more than post Night Fever and have always recognised them as brilliant song writers (for themselves and for others). I had forgotten what a great song "Ive gotta get a message to you' is. Must have played it four or five times, singing along on my own at the top of my voice.

I also like their early stuff.
  • I heard something on the radio about the Bee Gees the other night. Apparently, they used to get bored sitting in their trailer between shooting the film about Sgt Pepper ( Didn’t know there was one???) so they wrote songs. Apparently, in about an hour and a half they had come up with 3 future hits ( Love So Right, Too Much Heaven and Tragedy, I think they were)
    That’s a pretty impressive and lucrative 90 mins of work eh.
  • Macronate said:

Then Jericho-The Motive & Big Area
    Icicle Works- Love is a Wonderful Colour

Came on here to put Then Jerico and spookily you had beaten me to it.
    That was a great album.
  • My world - Secret Affair.
    Casanova (your playing days are over) - Coffee
  • stonemuse said:

bobmunro said:

I also like their early stuff.
    Always liked this one

https://youtu.be/ZQHuNHsce6E
  • Dr Robert & Kym Mazelle - Wait : This song always reminds me of driving to Tottenham Away in 1989 with my uncle....I clearly remember it playing on Capital. Heard it on Spotify the other day...probably for the first time since.
  • bobmunro said:

Anyone who can get the words tender and fanny in a song title deserves great credit
  • bobmunro said:

Only You - Yazoo

Written by Vince Clarke just before he left Depeche Mode! Offered it to them initially but they turned it down! Oh well.

Mind you, Moyet's original version is excellent and no one else has done it justice like she did/still does in my opinion.
    Great song. Am I alone in believing The Flying Pickets version is the best?
    Saw them at the tram shed, God knows how many years ago, great group.
  • Sponsored links:

• Now these aren't necessarily to my taste, I used to run a pretty successful mobile disco and here's a selection of floor fillers I could fall back on. Pure pop, some more sickly than others and shows the trick to shifting a lot of records is to write a chorus

Sugababes - About you now
    Girls Aloud - Love Machine
    Justin Timberlake - Like I love you
    Christina Aguilera - Dirty
    Beyonce - Crazy in love
    Kanye West - gold digger
    Jocelyn Brown - Somebody else's guy
    Britney Spears - Toxic
    The proclaimers - 500 miles
    George Michael - fastlove
    Wham - Freedom
    B52s - Love shack
    Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

You could argue that these should be sent into some kind of bin for bad taste but the great British public fucking loved them. Some songs that have become massively popular actually make me angry listening to them, Sisqos dreadful thong song and Nelly doing hot in here make me feel pretty murderous but they used to get played due to demand. Novelty songs also made my teeth itch such as band aid and anything involving tv characters. Again, if I got asked for that shit I'd play it. Nothing worse than a DJ who gets above his station when playing to a pub full of pissed up 30 year old WKD assassins thinking he's judge Jules. Play to the crowd as much as it feels like you are dying inside

I used to give Dennis Waterman an airing too occasionally, and at a wedding I was asked to play the home and away theme for the first dance which made me piss myself laughing and question the happy couples sanity but what the public want the public get. Always made me laugh when some cabbage would bend your ear about how they are a DJ and ask if I'm going to play progressive techno or deep house. At a fucking 50th, once I'd got bored of listening to their bullshit I'd stick Apache on and start working out how I'd spunk the money I was getting for the old rope I was peddling
  • fadgadget said:

Girls Talk - Dave Edmunds. I can't remember what programme but it was randomly plonked on something last week. It took me back to a great free lunch-time gig Rockpile did in The Three Tuns bar at the LSE around 1978. Pub rock as an art form.
    One of my Fav songs along with Nick lowe , Cruel To Be Kind .
    Out of the blue I played this today. About a dozen times. One of those songs you know at what stage of your life when it originally came out.

A perfectly imperfect proper pop song - tight drum fills, the acoustic backing, bass line, simplistic but effective guitar solo, harmonies, melody you can't get out of your head and words that will resonate with anyone who has been on the receiving end of that sort of relationship.

Then I found this on YouTube - Daryl Hall and Tom "T-Bone" Wolk accompanying Nick Lowe in an acoustic version that puts a somewhat authentic element to the song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6no9DKxJhW0