Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Jim Davidson

Comments

• Options
    More an Alf Garnett fan meself 
    His only fault was supporting Tottenham.
    West Ham - Warren Mitchell supported Spurs
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    West Ham - Warren Mitchell supported Spurs
    Easy mistake to make though, you'd never see both together in the same room
  • Options
    Rob said:
    I found Jim funny back in the day. He is who he is.

There are a lot of people on here whose shit doesn't stink. It must be nice to be so perfect.

'He is who he is' 

So it's not an act then and he just spouts his opinions like a politician at a rally ? 

• Options
    West Ham actually!
  • Options
    rananegra said:
    He was very popular in the 70s and my parents enjoyed him. I thought some of his stuff was funny but even as a teenager I was uncomfortable with his racist stuff. To put it into context though, there were 3 TV channels and they included things like "Love Thy Neighbour" (a sitcom that was basically a very long "joke" about racial differences), Mind Your Language (a sitcom whose entire point was racial stereotypes) and the Black and White Minstrels Show (yes really - musicians and dancers blacking up on prime time TV). 

I get that he is good at what he does, it fills a niche, I haven't seen him in years and strongly suspect I'd not like it. Whatever else you say about him, he is definitely a Charlton fan though. 
    Fair and balanced.

WTF are you doing here? ;)
  • Options
    Has anybody seen Love thy Neighbour?

Jimbo is a choirboy in comparison.
    Subtle difference being that Love Thy Neighbour was aired in the 70s, and hasn't been in telly for thirty odd years
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    Leaving JD aside, what's wrong with people saying what they want, as long as it doesn't incite violence against another like, for example, an acid attack on someone because you don't agree with their politics
    Or "pick up a rifle and head for the front lines"...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    If I wasn’t already a happily married doris, I’d ask @SoundAsa£ out for a light ale or three. 

Thing is. There are people out there who steal from food banks (as in they can afford to eat just choose to take free food as it’s there). And he made a joke of it. You either find it funny or you don’t. Can’t see the point of wasting energy getting offended by it. 

Still, as Mr Davidson has blocked me on Twitter, I couldn’t care less. 

LLLBH. 
  • Options
    This forum does seem to have a very high propensity of extreme left wing snowflakes, who's views are 100% correct, and enlighting for us older members, who by being born in the fifties and sixties are deemed racist bigoted, right wing, Thatcher loving Nazi scum. 

On behalf of my parents I apologise to you all for being born 30 years to early and missing out on the utopian world that you all dwell in. 

And by not supporting your views, does not mean I support the opposite, it just means . I am from an age, where I believe a variety of elements can make up a world. An not that I personally am the only one who is 100% right. 
    Crikey. 
    Am going to have bring more money for this round. 
    Fair play Ralph, fair play. 
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Classic? I liked him in the snooker program and generation game, but maybe I've had my sense of humour ruined by the left. Maybe.
    I was being ironic - just illustrates how dreadful his comedy was.
    But back in the day that wasn’t the case......it was full on main stream, with BBC and media acceptance.
    Something you and many others fail to realise or accept.
    I was around at the time and found him unfunny and offensive then - the Chalky character shows how crap he was. It may have been mainstream but it was dteadful.
    But obviously not a view not shared by millions of fans at the time.
    Fortunately times have changed and racist, homophobic comedy is not so popular.
    Sadly they’ve been replaced in the mainstream by racist homophobic politicians. 
  • Options
    shine166 said:
    This forum does seem to have a very high propensity of extreme left wing snowflakes, who's views are 100% correct, and enlighting for us older members, who by being born in the fifties and sixties are deemed racist bigoted, right wing, Thatcher loving Nazi scum. 

On behalf of my parents I apologise to you all for being born 30 years to early and missing out on the utopian world that you all dwell in. 

And by not supporting your views, does not mean I support the opposite, it just means . I am from an age, where I believe a variety of elements can make up a world. An not that I personally am the only one who is 100% right. 

Plenty of rightwing snowflakes that dont stop pissing and moaning too ! 

That’s usually incontinence.    
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    Classic? I liked him in the snooker program and generation game, but maybe I've had my sense of humour ruined by the left. Maybe.
    But back in the day that wasn’t the case......it was full on main stream, with BBC and media acceptance.
    I was around at the time and found him unfunny and offensive then - the Chalky character shows how crap he was. It may have been mainstream but it was dteadful.
    and so called politically minded left wing comedians (the description is an ironic laugh all by itself) who advocate chucking battery acid on their political opponents
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do laugh when people try to defend the man that created Chalky White as not a racist. It was deemed racist in the 1970s as well, so nothing to do with 'the changing times'. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019
    And Alf would probably have replied something like this;

'Bloody Tottenham! Bloody Tottenham! They never never won the world cup, we did you silly git! Bobby, Geoff and Martin all went for tea with Her Majesty the Queen they did, God bless her and them. I'm forever blowing bubbles'. :smiley:
  • Options
    I do laugh when people try to defend the man that created Chalky White as not a racist. It was deemed racist in the 1970s as well, so nothing to do with 'the changing times'. 
    All about changing times actually. 
    I remember the film The Dambusters . The dogs name in the film was Nigger.

That film must have been shown on tv for years and I don't think anyone at the time thought it was racist. 
    Whenever the film is shown now the part where the dog is called by his name it is dubbed wigger or logger.

Times and attitudes change all the time.
  • Options
    Has anybody seen Love thy Neighbour?

Jimbo is a choirboy in comparison.
    Subtle difference being that Love Thy Neighbour was aired in the 70s, and hasn't been in telly for thirty odd years
    It was on mine last week.
  • Options
    McBobbin said:
    and so called politically minded left wing comedians (the description is an ironic laugh all by itself) who advocate chucking battery acid on their political opponents
    One joke for which she had since apologized. So not really comparable to a career’s worth of Chalky White jokes, or the belligerent and repeated homophobia of someone like Anne Widdecombe. Or for that matter, just to show I’m not a one eyed leftie, the anti Semitic crap that comes out of certain sections of the Labour Party.  
  • Options
    He certainly gets all the bed wetters wetting the bed.  Never found him particularly funny in the day but he maintains my interest because of the reactions on here and he is undoubtedly an Addick.

• Options
    God I hate Charlton Life sometimes. 
  • Options
    edited June 2019