Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

International Break - March 2018

Comments

• Options
    No idea what formation we're playing with this XI...

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I can’t work out what he’s playing. Trippier and Walker?

Trippier right of a back 3?
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    SDAddick said:

If Holland have any sense get plenty of crosses in cos Pickford won't get anywhere near them.

I mean they won't because they're not a home nations team and they have Ryan Babel playing up front.

But yeah Pickford looks dodgy under the high ball. And his distribution, or rather his decision making, is poor at times. He had a couple of bad ricks in the U21 Euros on that front.

He's clearly very talented and promising, but I think he and Butland are helped by the "grass is always greener" idea because Joe Hart has been the #1. Both are still young, but both have things to work on in their games.
    agree. we are really struggling when it comes to our No 1.

out of interest, sorry if you have already mentioned... as you are a yank do you support them or us or both? like me when it comes to Italy for example you follow both?
  • Options
    What on earth is that team
  • Options

SDAddick said:

If Holland have any sense get plenty of crosses in cos Pickford won't get anywhere near them.

I mean they won't because they're not a home nations team and they have Ryan Babel playing up front.

But yeah Pickford looks dodgy under the high ball. And his distribution, or rather his decision making, is poor at times. He had a couple of bad ricks in the U21 Euros on that front.

He's clearly very talented and promising, but I think he and Butland are helped by the "grass is always greener" idea because Joe Hart has been the #1. Both are still young, but both have things to work on in their games.

out of interest, sorry if you have already mentioned... as you are a yank do you support them or us or both? like me when it comes to Italy for example you follow both?
    Yeah at international level I largely support England. I just like pain and frustration really.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

SDAddick said:

Yeah at international level I largely support England. I just like pain and frustration really.
    yeah I thought I could get away from that by supporting the Azzurri. how wrong I was
  • Options
    343 with Walker as one of the 3 I think.

I guess a friendly is the right time to experiment, we know what Walker can do at wing back already.
  • Options
    Trippier right wing?
  • Options

No idea what formation we're playing with this XI...

I suspect it's

Walker Stones Gomez
    Tripper Ox Henderson Rose
    Sterling Rashford Lingard

It might be a 1-2 with Lingard behind Sterling and Rashford.

I've always liked the idea of playing a fullback in one of the back three. It usually adds pace and the ability to carry the ball out of defense. Even though I think his defending had come on leaps and bounds under Guardiola, I'm not sure that Walker would be the fullback I'd put in a back three (nor would it be Tripper but going on numbers I'm guessing it's Walker). Even with the improvement I'm not convinced by his ability to sit deep and defend and read the game. I think Bertrand is the fullback best suited to playing that type of role, especially since he's naturally left footed on the left, but he's obviously out.

This is what friendlies are for though, experimenting with different systems and personnel.

The problem for me remains in that central midfield two. I know I don't get any points for stating the obvious.
  • Options
    Why isnt one of Maguire / Tarkowski / Mawson playing instead of either Walker or Trippier, is confusing!!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Happy with Trippier getting a try and Pickford starting but agree I'd have rather had Maguire-Stones-Gomez tried as I think it could be our best option if we go for a back 3. Unless we choose Dier in there to 'step out' into midfield when we go forward.
  • Options
    Loving the banging tunes. We should try and implement something similar. Maybe in crossbars?
  • Options
    I enjoyed the brass band national anthems that made it sound like a cross between the Salvation Army at Christmas and Last of the Summer Wine.
  • Options
    England defenders dropping like flies.
  • Options
    Gomez off injured.
  • Options
    HT 0-0 zzzzzzz
  • Options
    well Glenn and Clive on commentary are impressed by us. I bloody wasn't. possession is alright but not a lot else.
  • Options
    I'd like to see Vardy come on for the second half
  • Options
    Karl Robinson school of boring sideways backwards football. No wonder so many don't bother watching England.

All set for a 94th minute Dutch winner.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Quite enjoyed that. Rashford is slightly isolated but nice to see crisp passing between their lines. Henderson looks better alongside Ox. Wing backs suit us.
  • Options
    Did I just see Joe Gomez in an advert for a Nivea body shaving stick?
  • Options

Did I just see Joe Gomez in an advert for a Nivea body shaving stick?

Yes
  • Options
    How hard can it be to play players in the positions they actually play for their clubs each week?

Why is Walker playing in a back 3 instead of a natural centre back? How many games has Gomez played as a left centre back in his career?
  • Options
    Our Joe just appeared on Sport Relief dressed as one of the Beatles.... more entertaining than the actual game??
  • Options
    England missing that spark up front and poor crosses from rose and trippier at least twice. On the other hand how poor do Holland look... I remember the days when you would wince at every Holland attack expecting them to score... so far tonight not at all. Koeman has a huge job on his hands.
  • Options
    Watching England-Holland. Oh, how a great team has declined. And then there's England.
  • Options
    cabbles said:

Don’t get all this lad banter on my twitter feed with crying with laughter emojis showing England fans chucking bikes in rivers in Amsterdam etc. Fine to have a drink and get smashed but throwing people’s property into rivers and showering other members of the public with beer etc makes them dickheads.

Actually quite glad I didn’t bother with this one, a friendly always attracts a lot of non regulars as easy to get tickets in home end so no need for memberships
  • Options

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43373928

Incidentally, I couldn't help noticing this comment concerning Will Grigg

In-form Wigan Athletic striker Will Grigg is another notable absentee after scoring seven goals in his last nine club games.

O'Neill said on Monday that he, along with Wigan boss Paul Cook, believes it best that Grigg remains with his club as there are League One matches on the same date as the friendly.
    Interesting how this never came up with Josh. If Bowyer had been in charge earlier, might he have also got Josh to pull out?

It's possible he wants to change things? Hard to know. But even if he'd dropped Josh he'd need him on the bench.