Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

More deaths of horses at Cheltenham Racecourse. Please sign a petition.

Two horses died today on the opening day of the Cheltenham Festival.

RIP Mossback and RIP Report To Base.

More horses have died at Cheltenham Racecourse than any other in Britain. In 2017, twelve horses died there, four of whom were killed during the four-day Cheltenham Festival. Last Spring, I wrote to the racecourse, via its website, to register my sadness and to request information about what - if anything - was to be done to reduce injury and fatality. I did not receive a response.

Jockeys Ruby Walsh and Patrick Mullins have both been handed suspensions for over-use of the whip in the OLBG Mares' Hurdle today.

Animal Aid, a Kent-based animal welfare charity, has recently launched an e-petition urging the government to set up an independent regulatory body, with horse welfare as its only interest.

I invite Charlton Lifers to sign and share the petition. Thank you.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/211950

Comments

• Yeah what crap - innocent animals dying. Signed.
  • You sure that isnt Robinson?
  • It's all opinions either way
  • I'm for Cheltenham being banned just if it stops my social media feeds being filled with people posting their accys that came through for them. Oh, you managed to guess what would happen did you, you must be some kind of genius.
  • Sponsored links:

• Signed.
  • Signed
  • Signed.

Well done for raising awareness and posting this thread.
  • Signed!
  • Sponsored links:

• Signed.
  • The Guardian's racing correspondent writes:
    Patrick Mullins, Rathvinden’s jockey, was suspended for six days for using his whip above the permitted level and without giving his horse a chance to respond after jumping the final fence.
    Ruby Walsh, who rode Mullins’s Benie Des Dieux to win the Mares’ Hurdle, was banned for two days for using his whip above the permitted level from the approach to the last.

Reported in the media then.
  • Not a UK citizen so won't sign, but would otherwise. I used to live just up the hill from Del Mar race track and in 2016 (just after I moved) they had 27 deaths in one summer (season is ten weeks maybe). This is insane. Whether or not you like or agree with horse racing there must be a better way.