Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Boys of Summer 2018

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Hey sorry I'm late to baseball on here but can I ask who you all support? Curious to know and if there are any stories behind it (they have a cool logo is a perfectly acceptable answer).

I'm Chicago White Sox as mentioned. My dad was grew up in Chicago on/near the south side going to games at the "Old Comiskey" Park. And I was brought up with baseball and the Sox despite moving from Chicago to LA when I was three.

Anyway sorry I know this will be repetitive for a lot of you.
  • Options
    Red Sox here. Came to Boston on business in 1984. I was here for a week, so added the weekend on, and wandered over and bought a ticket. Beautiful day, Red Sox won, and I was interested.

Followed their result on the Reuters terminal, and the people I’d been visiting would always talk about them when we were on the phone.

I ended up working for that company in the UK, but it meant quite a few visits to Boston, before I ended up moving here. I saw 29 games in that time, including an epic 8 games in 7 days. That was the start of Morgan Magic in 1988 when they went on an incredible winning streak. My record was 29-0.

And then I moved here, and learnt what is was like to be a real Red Sox fan.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    SDAddick said:

Hey sorry I'm late to baseball on here but can I ask who you all support? Curious to know and if there are any stories behind it (they have a cool logo is a perfectly acceptable answer).

I'm Chicago White Sox as mentioned. My dad was grew up in Chicago on/near the south side going to games at the "Old Comiskey" Park. And I was brought up with baseball and the Sox despite moving from Chicago to LA when I was three.

Bear with me...

Got into baseball in about 2000/01 I think when Baseball on 5 was on the box in the uk. I was working late shifts, so I'd be wide awake after midnight and would catch the occasional game. Found it intriguing and didn't realise how much detail and nuance there is in the game. Became addicted immediately.
    Choosing a team was odd, because I just watched any team to start with, then I started to think about following a team. I nearly went for Oakland A's, just because of the "Athletics" bit, but somehow it didn't seem right.
    Boston v Yanks was often featured when matched up, so I got into that rivalry and my fate was sealed when I realised a couple of things:
    1) I really took to Fenway Park - the odd shape, the green monster, the history.
    2) I found myself wanting them to lift the curse. Which links to...
    3) I really didn't like the Yanks from day 1. Always seemed like the ultimate plastic team. Exacerbated by starting to notice at that time how many people in the UK wear Yankee merchandise.
    4) I yelled F***ING GET IN! If Boston scored or got out of a jam.

So, Team 1: Boston Red Sox

Now then. I might be considered 'not a true fan' by some, because I also follow another team. Some similarities to the Red Sox story:
    1) Field: Great Baseball ground with history and style.
    2) Curse: Check
    3) Rivals: Not so much. White Sox (sorry @SDAddick ) and Cards (sorry @Henry Irving ) sort of fit the bill, but I don't actively dislike them like I do the dirty Yanks (not apologising to anyone for this - hate everything about them, right down to their pathetic "No beards" rule. Twats.)
    4) Yelling when winning: Check

So, team 2: Chicago Cubs

On my only previous trip to the US (2004) I took in New York, Boston and Chicago and went to games at Shea, Fenway and Wrigley. Absolutely loved it, and Fenway and Wrigley were just as good as I'd hoped.

I am fond of a couple of other teams. Mets (Due to game at Shea), Mariners and Dodgers spring to mind, but I don't follow them.
    I am, however taking a little more interest in what will be my local team later this year. I've never given them a second thought before and they'll never displace my beloved Red Sox and Cubs, but I plan to go to see them while living locally.

So, team 3: Washington Nationals

And that's my teams.
    I think it's ok to follow more than one team isn't it? If you disagree, I don't really care, because I just love the game!

• Options
    Red Sox here as well as most on this board will know. Started back in the mid 80s when we had family come to stay from New England who bought me over a Sox cap and baseball mitt and ball. Didn’t even know what the sport was but I was told they were the proverbial losers in sport and as a 6 year old Charlton fan that was familiar territory for me so I stuck with them! Got myself to Fenway whenever I can over the years and am one of the people that help run the Boston Red Sox Fans of the UK club.

Love Baseball - there is more depth to the sport than pretty much any other imo
  • Options
    I follow the DBacks, simply because they are a "new" team and I had a work colleague who was from Arizona and followed them.

Thankfully I didn't choose to follow the Phoenix Suns because of him though!
  • Options
    Spent the summer of 2006 (April to September) in Philadelphia. Watched a few games on tv and dismissed it at first, wasn't long before I started to notice the strategy and was hooked pretty soon after. I've adopted all Philadelphia teams and before this year it had been pretty miserable. Though the World Series win in 2008 and the short period of success after that was great fun. Hoping the rebuild is coming to completion in the next year or two.
  • Options
    Also Red Sox. I followed baseball when I was younger, went to a few games but never really had a team that caught my attention. Went to Boston when I was about 19, and got the bug for the city and the team.
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Blue Jays as I work for a Canadian company. Second team are the Yankees.
  • Options
    1StevieG said:

SDAddick said:

Like saying I support Cardiff but my second team are Man Utd. Scum.
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

1StevieG said:

SDAddick said:

Like saying I support Cardiff but my second team are Man Utd. Scum.
    My second team is whoever is playing the Yankees.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The young Braves are on fire right now!
  • Options
    http://www.espn.co.uk/mlb/story/_/id/23394047/mlb-announce-new-york-yankees-boston-red-sox-games-london

The Sox fans among us can look forward to next June. A regular season game v the Wankees is the biggest fixture in US sports so what a game for MLB to debut in the UK.

Both games Sox home fixtures so that means Dirty Water, Tessie, Sweet Caroline etc.

Hope it doesn’t sell out too quickly to casual fans / corporates and the hardcore fans get a chance to go.
  • Options
    Dodgers fan since I went to LA on my first visit to the States many years ago. 30 years now since we last won the World Series in 88. Thought we might break that last season but not to be. Got off to a slow start again this season but early days yet.
  • Options
    DanDavis said:

The young Braves are on fire right now!

The fire brigade arrived this weekend... Giants 8-2 in the last ten games. Won't last of course.
  • Options
    The Yankees' run of form is starting to annoy me now.
    Impressive that they've won 14 of their last 15 games, don't get me wrong, and I should just be happy about the great start to the season the Red Sox have made, but it's irritating me that the Sox are only 1 game up despite being 25-9!
    No pleasing some people eh? :wink:
  • Options

http://www.espn.co.uk/mlb/story/_/id/23394047/mlb-announce-new-york-yankees-boston-red-sox-games-london

The Sox fans among us can look forward to next June. A regular season game v the Wankees is the biggest fixture in US sports so what a game for MLB to debut in the UK.

Both games Sox home fixtures so that means Dirty Water, Tessie, Sweet Caroline etc.

Hope it doesn’t sell out too quickly to casual fans / corporates and the hardcore fans get a chance to go.

Wonder what a baseball game would be like in a football/athletics stadium. I've only ever been to purpose built baseball stadia (Philly, Citi Field and Seattle).
  • Options
    Walk off homer in the 14th v the Cubs and top of the division.

Cardinals going well but have lost Molina for at least a month.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Walk off homer in the 14th v the Cubs and top of the division.

Cardinals going well but have lost Molina for at least a month.

Yeah, 2 walk offs in a row to secure the sweep.
    Last night was particularly painful as it was lost on a home run that was:
    1) A two run homer on the final out, turning a one run win into a one run loss.
    2) Almost caught by ex-Card Jason Heywood.
    3) Hit by ex-Cub Dexter Fowler.
    Triple whammy

That’s what this game can do though, which is why we love it!
  • Options

The Yankees' run of form is starting to annoy me now.
    Impressive that they've won 14 of their last 15 games, don't get me wrong, and I should just be happy about the great start to the season the Red Sox have made, but it's irritating me that the Sox are only 1 game up despite being 25-9!
    No pleasing some people eh? :wink:

I think it’s a given that the wildcard in the AL will be he Sox or the Yanks.

Reminds me of the days when this was standard - when so many great Sox teams (in many cases the second best record in baseball), won nothing simply cos the Yankees existed
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Naughty boy Robinson Cano.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

Phillies might actually maybe be relevant possible for once maybe.... probably not though. Be nice to win half our games.

I may have been a bit pessimistic here. The Fightin's just beat the Orioles to go 24 and 16, which puts them at .600, the second best record in the National League and the fourth best record in all of baseball behind the Yankees, Boston and Atlanta.

The pitching staff has been lights out with Nola showing that he is a top 10 or 15 starter (baseball ref has him as the fourth best player in all of baseball so far), Arrieta has been everything we hoped he might be and the other starters have all outperformed expectations. Nick Pivetta (who they got in a trade from the Nationals for Papelbon, which was worth it just for that one time Papelbon choked Bryce Harper in a game against the Phillies) just threw seven innings with 11Ks giving up a single run (HR).
    Odubel Herrera has an on base streak of 42 games and is leading the majors in batting average, is 4th in OBP and again according to BR has been the 6th best hitter in baseball. Hes not alone though, Santana had a slow start and is starting to heat up, while Hoskins, Hernandez and Franco have all been solid to very good this season and in Hoskins case he probably has room to improve.

I know almost no one will care about this but after 5 years of falling between misery and mediocrity its fun to be excited about the Phillies again. Especially given the way Charltons season just ended, and that came just after the Sixers limped out of the NBA playoffs.
  • Options
    el-pietro said:

el-pietro said:

Phillies might actually maybe be relevant possible for once maybe.... probably not though. Be nice to win half our games.

I may have been a bit pessimistic here. The Fightin's just beat the Orioles to go 24 and 16, which puts them at .600, the second best record in the National League and the fourth best record in all of baseball behind the Yankees, Boston and Atlanta.

The pitching staff has been lights out with Nola showing that he is a top 10 or 15 starter (baseball ref has him as the fourth best player in all of baseball so far), Arrieta has been everything we hoped he might be and the other starters have all outperformed expectations. Nick Pivetta (who they got in a trade from the Nationals for Papelbon, which was worth it just for that one time Papelbon choked Bryce Harper in a game against the Phillies) just threw seven innings with 11Ks giving up a single run (HR).
    Odubel Herrera has an on base streak of 42 games and is leading the majors in batting average, is 4th in OBP and again according to BR has been the 6th best hitter in baseball. Hes not alone though, Santana had a slow start and is starting to heat up, while Hoskins, Hernandez and Franco have all been solid to very good this season and in Hoskins case he probably has room to improve.

I know almost no one will care about this but after 5 years of falling between misery and mediocrity its fun to be excited about the Phillies again. Especially given the way Charltons season just ended, and that came just after the Sixers limped out of the NBA playoffs.
    I think others get where you're coming from here. A lot of the clubs live in a cycle, where they have a few seasons as contenders and a few seasons rebuilding, and some clubs seem to spend a lot longer in 'rebuild' mode than they should. With my Cubs head on, I can certainly appreciate how nice it was to see some success after what seemed like an eternity of mediocre/rubbish baseball.
    You're right that we don't care about the Phillies themselves :wink:, but the sentiment is appreciated.
    (One thing about the Phillies that has always irritated me - is that really the best name they could come up with? It's like Charlton being called the Charlton Charlies, or Boston being the Boston Bosties :smiley: )
  • Options
    Yeah its a pretty terrible name but people weren't all that creative in 1883. They have experimented with different names over the years, The Quakers and The Blue Jays. Apparently they were originally the Quakers but people didn't like them and colloquially called them the Phillies and it stuck.
  • Options
    Had the pleasure of watching the Sox-Cubs game over the weekend. The White Sox are...not very good at baseball. It's unfortunate that they just seem to be weak at pitching, hitting, and fielding. I'm thinking maybe baseball isn't their thing, maybe it' s haberdashery.
  • Options
    We will get there
  • Options
    SDAddick said:

Had the pleasure of watching the Sox-Cubs game over the weekend. The White Sox are...not very good at baseball. It's unfortunate that they just seem to be weak at pitching, hitting, and fielding. I'm thinking maybe baseball isn't their thing, maybe it' s haberdashery.

They are just in that part of the cycle lordromford mentioned. They, along with the Miami Marlins and the Cincinatti Reds are going to have a very rough season, there is no relegation so there's no consequences for losing every game, and there are in fact rewards for being really bad through the draft (though there is no guarantee that the player you get will turn into anything special, the Phillies had the first pick a couple of years back and based on his career so far Mickey Moniak probably needs to find a new career).

If relegation didn't exist in football than people like Alan Pardew, Sam Allardyce etc wouldn't have jobs and instead younger players would be given an opportunity to play in those teams who are having really bad seasons. Charlton would probably be a feeder team for the likes of Arsenal in that scenario, which is sort of what a certain Belgian businessman had in mind anyway.
  • Options
    My blesséd DBacks have slipped recently
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    el-pietro said:

SDAddick said:

They are just in that part of the cycle lordromford mentioned. They, along with the Miami Marlins and the Cincinatti Reds are going to have a very rough season, there is no relegation so there's no consequences for losing every game, and there are in fact rewards for being really bad through the draft (though there is no guarantee that the player you get will turn into anything special, the Phillies had the first pick a couple of years back and based on his career so far Mickey Moniak probably needs to find a new career).

If relegation didn't exist in football than people like Alan Pardew, Sam Allardyce etc wouldn't have jobs and instead younger players would be given an opportunity to play in those teams who are having really bad seasons. Charlton would probably be a feeder team for the likes of Arsenal in that scenario, which is sort of what a certain Belgian businessman had in mind anyway.
    You've combined two lovely things here, an intelligent and insightful baseball post and imagining a world where Pardew and Allardyce don't have jobs.

Yeah I know. And this is, hopefully, the darkest hour before the dawn. There are some really good prospects in the system who I think we'll start to see one or two (Jiminez and Kopech potentially) after the All Star break. But right now it's a team full of injuries to some of its best players, including the promising ones like Garcia, Rodon, and Moncada. And what's left is a combination of young, really raw players and veteran journeymen and then like Jose Abreu and Welington Castillo.

It's obviously hard seeing what the likes of Chris Sale, who I had the pleasure of seeing pitch in person early in his career and he looked very special, and Quantana et al being successful with other teams. Meanwhile I've seen a former first rounder Carson Fulmer pitch a couple times now and he looks...just so raw. And while he's not considered the best pitching prospect in the organization it's really hard to tell if he'll get his control in order or if he'll just kind of drift.

But even by next season I think we'll see three or four of the really special kids up in the majors, and that will make a big difference. A young, inconsistent team with a potentially bright future is different to what we have now which is just a shit team that seems to be going through the motions.
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B10jXploAoE

A really lovely moment on Friday night. A couple months ago Danny Farquar passed out in the bullpen during a game. It turns out he had a brain aneurysm, was rushed to the hospital and lived. He's been recovering incredibly well, and on Friday night he threw out the first pitch at Comiskey. By all accounts a super popular guy wherever he's been, and it sounds like he might even be able to play baseball again one day.