Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Nine games left, only three at home... how many points for the play offs?

Comments

• If we don't make it then Karl "the guru" Robinson can take a bow. All those defeats snatched from jaws of 3 or 1 point.

Thanks Karl, thanks Roland!
  • You’re all looking at this completely the wrong way. Consolidationism calls for 5 draws and 4 defeats. And in memory of the father of consolidationism (Russell Slade), I would like nothing more than for our season to peater out in such fashion. I will go to Walsall next season, nothing will stop me
  • Sage said:

..... Get behind the team and hopefully Bowyer is still in charge. I would expect something like this from the remaining 9.

Home games:

Rotherham (H) 02/04 - 3 points
    Scunthorpe (H) 14/04 - 3 points
    Blackburn (H) 28/04 - 1 point

Away games:

Northampton (A) 30/03 - 3 points
    Bristol Rovers (A) 07/04 - 1 point
    Wimbledon (A) 10/04 - 3 points
    Shrewsbury (A) 17/04 - 0 points
    Portsmouth (A) 21/04 - 1 point
    Rochdale (A) 05/05 - 3 points

Sage, you need to be positive. It's going to be better than that :smile:
    We've got Bowyer & Jacko, and Curbs & Peacock watching from the Director's Box.

Home games:

Rotherham (H) 02/04 - 3 points
    Scunthorpe (H) 14/04 - 3 points
    Blackburn (H) 28/04 - 3 points

Away games:

Northampton (A) 30/03 - 3 points
    Bristol Rovers (A) 07/04 - 3 point
    Wimbledon (A) 10/04 - 3 points
    Shrewsbury (A) 17/04 - 3 points
    Portsmouth (A) 21/04 - 3 point
    Rochdale (A) 05/05 - 1 point

"It was 20 years ago today,
    That Curbs got Charlton to play
    Winning 8 games on the spin,
    Without letting a goal in.

So may I introduce to you
    The act you've known all these years
    Oggy Red's La-La Land."

• It’s gonna be tough and no mistake. If only Robinson had walked a week earlier, before Blackpool and Fleetwood, then we could be an extra three points at least better off and then things would look a lot rosier. I think it’s going to be touch and go but ultimately we will fall a point or two short. Hope I’m wrong but I fear Robinson has left us to much to do.
  • Think we’ll lose at least three of those and draw a couple. Not enough.
  • Right, lets get this right, we all know how this ends, we will be in 6 place on last game of the season and miss out on a playoff spot in the last minute of injury time. It's Charlton !!!
  • edited March 2018
    It’s not a bad position to be in as it goes. Get enough pints for the play offs, great. Don’t make it and we start to rebuild with the takeover
  • Forget about the playoffs - a couple more wins first....
  • We need 19 points minimum, as i think 74 points should be enough.

Circumstances of the games at this time of year come massively into play as well.

For example, we need to hope Blackburn are already promoted by the time they come to the Valley then they'll hopefully already be on holiday and will roll over. Likewise on the last day, it'd be a huge bonus for us if Rochdale are already safe or already relegated. If they need points to survive it makes our game much more difficult.

• One game at a time - and see where we are after that.

It's in our own hands, isn't it?

• Sponsored links:

• At least three 6 pointers to come! Rotherham, Scunthorpe, Pompey being playoff rivals, with 2 further matches against automatic chasers

I don't see why we would fear Rotherham or Scunthorpe, neither are in form at the moment. The Pompey match looks crucial though

Plus a lot of the top teams are playing each other as well beginning this weekend. We are all chipping away at each other.
  • We need 19 points minimum, as i think 74 points should be enough.

Circumstances of the games at this time of year come massively into play as well.

For example, we need to hope Blackburn are already promoted by the time they come to the Valley then they'll hopefully already be on holiday and will roll over. Likewise on the last day, it'd be a huge bonus for us if Rochdale are already safe or already relegated. If they need points to survive it makes our game much more difficult.

Can work the other way round - Rochdale alreeady down so they play with freedom & no pressure. Much prefer them needing something - 0-0 with 10 to go then they may have to go all out for a win leaving them exposed at the back.
  • Win our game in hand against Wimbledon (Yes I know its technically Shrewsbury), as that'll put us into 6th

We then just need to ensure we match the results of Peterborough / Plymouth / Portsmouth
  • Tough run in would say 50/50 at mo whether we make it, have to win a couple at home at least. Away games a few more winnable, reckon 15 points should do but who knows, just get us to the play offs in reasonable form and we can dream!
  • It’s gonna be tough and no mistake. If only Robinson had walked a week earlier, before Blackpool and Fleetwood, then we could be an extra three points at least better off and then things would look a lot rosier. I think it’s going to be touch and go but ultimately we will fall a point or two short. Hope I’m wrong but I fear Robinson has left us to much to do.

Sadly, I have to agree. Too much to expect everything will fall nicely for us, but we have to battle on and hope the Gods are looking favourably on us.
  • edited March 2018

Tough run in would say 50/50 at mo whether we make it, have to win a couple at home at least. Away games a few more winnable, reckon 15 points should do but who knows, just get us to the play offs in reasonable form and we can dream!

Other teams around us have some tough runs in too ..... and they have to play us :smile:
  • Rotherham (H) 02/04 - 3 points - Another poor side that we must beat
    Scunthorpe (H) 14/04 - 3 points - An unknown quantity after the sacking.
    Blackburn (H) 28/04 - 1 point - Was very unimpressed with them when they beat us, if we play like we did at the weekend i fancy us to get something

Away games:

Northampton (A) 30/03 - 3 points - Must Win
    Bristol Rovers (A) 07/04 - 3 points - We always seem to beat Bristol Rovers
    Wimbledon (A) 10/04 - 3 points - Must Win
    Shrewsbury (A) 17/04 - 0 points - Can't see us getting any change here
    Portsmouth (A) 21/04 - 1 point - Keep Pittman quiet and this is easily winnable
    Rochdale (A) 05/05 - 1 point - Was actually very impressed with Rochdale when they came to the Valley, could be trickier than expected

18 points should be enough this season
  • If I'm being completely realistic, I don't see us making it. Hope has me wanting it though.
  • Rochdale could be a case of there playing to stay up and were playing for a playoff spot, as they have 2 games in hand around most in that part of the table win those 2 and could be in a serious shout of staying up.
  • Reckon we'll do a Millwank, scrape into playoffs and end up going up
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

Reckon we'll do a Millwank, scrape into playoffs and end up going up

You forget... this is Charlton so we do the opppsite, means we'll either miss out on the Play-Offs at the last minute or end up losing in the Final thanks to an 85th min goal!!
  • One concern I have looking at that table is Peterborough's goal difference, don't think we can cover that ground so we can't have a fight for 6th with them
  • It's the hope that kills you
  • One concern I have looking at that table is Peterborough's goal difference, don't think we can cover that ground so we can't have a fight for 6th with them

Win every game 2-0 and we'll be fine.
  • Rochdale could be a case of there playing to stay up and were playing for a playoff spot, as they have 2 games in hand around most in that part of the table win those 2 and could be in a serious shout of staying up.

Rochdale have no wins in their last 4 matches, I'd be amazed if they weren't down by the time they play us, they've only won 7 games all season

Fleetwood are the team in form, having won 2 matches since their draw with us, while MKD are also on a good run. I think Northampton are in trouble, on a bad run and with a terrible GD of -27
  • sam3110 said:

Reckon we'll do a Millwank, scrape into playoffs and end up going up

You forget... this is Charlton so we do the opppsite, means we'll either miss out on the Play-Offs at the last minute or end up losing in the Final thanks to an 85th min goal!!
    Make that a 92nd minute goal!
  • granted Saturday was a good result but aren't some getting a bit carried away, that a team of under performers for 3/4 of the season are suddenly going to go on a 9 match unbeaten run.

minimum 4 out of the next 2.

I agree but its difficult not to think that its possible, most of the teams in this league (Wigan & Shrewsbury aside) are pony and easily beatable