Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Is gingerism as bad as racism?

Link

Any views Ollie?

World going PC mad yet again? Next thing it'll be a ban on blonde jokes!!

Comments

• Options
    Why is it any different, apart from people are allowed to terrorise gingers, being called a ginger c**t is as racist/predjadice as being called a B***k c**t.

If anyone disagrees they are in the dark ageS!

I was lucky enough to have big enough shoulders in my youth to take it all in my stride, but i tell ya what, some gingers do get a right barracking just for there hair colour, which in my opinion is as bad as racism!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]LinkNext thing it'll be a ban on blonde jokes!!

But they are just jokes aint they, people dont actually hate blondes, but some people hate gingers!
  • Options
    technically it is.

Its abuse, and that covers colour, race, height, build, features, anything you like really.

Is it as bad ? not really. Most people generally know the line between what is acceptable and not.
  • Options
    Do they actually hate them though or is it just that because they / you are different the majority then they're / you're an easy target?
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    As a red head and proud of it I don't think it is as bad as racism. No one has been enslaved or put in a gas chamber for being a red-head but on the other hand there is no hierarchy of oppression.

I do think that the abuse described here and laughed about is unacceptable. "it's only a joke" isn't a good enough answer when it is constant and vicious as is sometimes the case.

I never had a problem and most don't think I'm a red head now for some reason. If it was good enough for Jesus and Elizabeth I it's good enough for me.

Say it loud
    I'm red headed and Proud
  • Options
    red head henry - more like strawberry blonde LOL
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Say it loud
    I'm red headed and Proud

And you're head's stuck in a big ginger cloud....
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]
    Say it loud
    I'm red headed and Proud

And you're head's stuck in a big ginger cloud....

I hope that wasn't a size-ist remark Mr Bartram : - )
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Ledge Knows[/cite]red head henry - more like strawberry blonde LOL

See what I mean :- )
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Is it as bad ? not really.

to be fair tho Dan, your not ginger are you, so how can you possibly know?? who is it that decides the limits to racism, well its the people on the end of the racism isnt it! As a ginger i see it as as bad as racism, because we are a minority maybe not an ethnic one, but still a minority. I cant see how can say that!
  • Options
    See straight away people on here have taken the piss already, wouldnt of happened if it was a real ethnic minority debate.

Its looked upon like its not important, were all the time people are trying to kick out racism, perhaps they should be looking a little closer to home, and kick gingerism out of football!

This is a touchy subject for me, as so many different people have an opinion about whether its like racism or not, well i am ginger, and i tell ya it flippin well is.

I thank you
  • Options
    i'm short and tubby, and get mickey taking about both. Is that as bad as racist comments ?

Of course it isn't, chill out MCS and celebrate your carrotness !!
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: MCS[/cite]kick gingerism out of football!

Sorry Ollie, I know you're sensative about this but that is fu*king hilarious!!
  • Options
    Vertically challenged Smudge not short
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    [cite]Posted By: CharltonDan[/cite]Do theyactuallyhate them though or is it just that because they / you are different the majority then they're / you're an easy target?

To a point but if you are treated differently, giving less consideration or ridiculed because of it it is still wrong.

My own view is that people tell ginger jokes becuase no longer, and thank goodness this is the case, can they openly tell racist jokes.
  • Options
    What about blonde jokes, or jokes about essex girls or anything really.

I know I don't have to put up with it so can't take the same view point as you MCS but I still think its a little bit of PC gone mad.
  • Options
    what's the difference between a ginger and a brick ? At least a brick can get laid...

Give us a smile Ollie :-)
  • Options
    bullying is just wrong,no matter how it's wrapped up.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Thread Killer[/cite]bullying is just wrong,no matter how it's wrapped up.

spot on.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    When I was at school a ginger kid got bullied to the point that he stayed at home. From what I remember, he was a good kid but got bullied purely because of his hair colour. This all went a lot further then telling a few ginger jokes ...........
  • Options
    Agree bullying is out of order.

However in our office we have a shorty, a balding gingerish (me), a 30 yr old with grey hair and he's fat, a fella who hasnt changed his hairstyle since Britpop, a fella who dyes his hair, another fella with a slick.

If we couldnt take the piss out of each other it would be dead in our office.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]what's the difference between a ginger and a brick ? At least a brick can get laid...

Give us a smile Ollie :-)

Who is this character? BAN HIM!!!
    ;o)
  • Options
    It's human nature to take the p*ss out of others, be that other person black, white, thin, fat, tall, short, have ginger hair, grey hair, green hair.....

It's pretty sad if we can't take the p*ss out of each other every now and then, but we all know that's how this country is going
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]It's human nature to take the p*ss out of others, be that other person black, white, thin, fat, tall, short, have ginger hair, grey hair, green hair.....

It's pretty sad if we can't take the p*ss out of each other every now and then, but we all know that's how this country is going

Too right! I mean could you imagine not being able to take the mick out of Westside cos it was classed as slapperist!!??
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Medders[/cite]

the main difference is when its kept between friends. If its addressed at people you don't know, then its a form of abuse, and wrong.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Of course, but then you wouldn't just walk up to ginger Joe Bloggs in the street and call him Duracell would you....
  • Options
    But some people do that or similar. See the link.

It's about power. If you can take the piss out of me and I out of you then we have equal power. If there is a mob outside your house or a gang of kids in a school taunting you then there is not. Doesn't matter if it is hair or fat or something else.
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: Henry Irving[/cite]As a red head and proud of it I don't think it is as bad as racism. No one has been enslaved or put in a gas chamber for being a red-head but on the other hand there is no hierarchy of oppression.

I do think that the abuse described here and laughed about is unacceptable. "it's only a joke" isn't a good enough answer when it is constant and vicious as is sometimes the case.

I never had a problem and most don't think I'm a red head now for some reason. If it was good enough for Jesus and Elizabeth I it's good enough for me.

Say it loud
    I'm red headed and Proud

Sorry Henry but you are going to have to re read some history, OK no gas chambers but throughout the inquisition most witches were burnt through no more than being red haired. Since Biblical times prostitutes have traditionally been represented as Red heads and even up to the fifteenth century one William Shakespeare would insist that the villains of the piece wear red wigs just in case the audience needed any more evidence that Macbeth, Shylock, Iago and Richard III weren't nice people.

Having said all that I don't really give a toss. I've been Ginger most of my life apart from a period in the late seventies whilst at Art College and I have always been comfortable with it. Historically it's on a par with left handers (the word sinister in the Latin denotes the left but has since become synonymous with evil etc).

Yeah, you get the piss taken, normally by morons who need something different to pick on just to show that they are exactly the same as the herd but I don't take it to heart, in fact I've always found a decent smack in the mouth or a kick to the b*llocks tends to reinforce my more intellectual arguments. Didn't tend to get bullied at school much, can't think why.
  • Options
    Didn't know that about the witches but you could argue that they weren't burnt for being witches even if it was the red hair that caused them to be identified as such. Can't see the Red head thing with Shakespeare as the queen at the time was very much a red-head.

Don't really think about it unless someone makes a ginger remark. All a bit pathetic as you say.