Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

If Tottenham offered us....

2»

Comments

• Options
    we are bigger than southampton who sold a championship left back to spurs for £9m.
  • Options
    If the club are strong and can say 'we can afford to keep him for anything less than 18mill' then I see no reason why we shouldnt get the money.

It boils down to the nerve of the board and if they really can afford to keep him.
  • Options
    not that many decent left backs about where as there is a plethora of decent strikers about.
  • Options
    Really Mart? A striker guranteed 14 goals a season in the league? Only 6 made it last season... Berbatov, Drogba, Rooney, Ronaldo, Macartney & Bent.

Bent scored more league goals in the past 2 season than Henry, Drogba, Lampard, Keane, Ronaldo, Defoe, Johnson, Rooney, Crouch, Owen... in fact any one at all. He's the leading scorer in the league for the past two seasons, a fact which is often overlooked. In fact having said that is £18m enough?

You're probably right about the need to sell and him being worth more in the future, which is why we should get the most we can for him now
  • Options
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]not that many decent left backs about

well i would put cole, bridge, baines, shorey and to an extent p.neville above him in england pecking order. then there is riise, clichy, evra, heinze from abroad. there are also players like matthew taylor and michael sylvestre who can also play left back.
    all are proven prem left backs.
    if you offerred £9m for one of those, apart from cole and perhaps riise & bridge, you would probably get.
  • Options
    as much as i don't like bigging up spurs signings, i really believe that within a few years bale will be one of the best left backs in the country, so much so that if he was english i would put him in the england squad right now!
  • Options
    paulbaconsarnie, bale is welsh mate.
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Obviously I'm answering as the only Spurs fan on here:
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]Anthony Gardener, Wayne Routledge, + £7m cash for Darren Bent

would you accept

Too right we would. But I dont think you would. If we upped the cash to £10m then your board might accept it.

From your point of view, when fit, Anthony "Snoop" Gardener is better than anything you've got at centre-half. He's very tall, wins everything in the air and is damn quick. The only thing which lets him down is his concentration. That is the one thing which has held him back from being Ledley King's regular partner in the back-four over the last four or five seasons. He is still young though and has loads of potential. Would be a good signing for Charlton. Then there's always the case he may fail the medical again!

Routledge has been unlucky as Spurs and perhaps unfairly treated. He started well but then got injured in his first pre-season giving Lennon his chance and he's been behind in the pecking order ever since. Perhaps too similar to Rohmedahl to make an impact at Charlton but he would be a good squad player. Hopefully, Andy Reid will show his true worth next season for you.
    [cite]Posted By: AFKA Bartram[/cite]
    [cite]Posted By: mart77[/cite]if spurs offered £9 mill + tainio + routledge that wouldn't be bad.

its also unrealistic, see as Tanio made 32 appearances last season, and is well thought of there.

Tainio is the unsung hero of our midfield and Jol loves him. Seems to becoming as injury prone as Anderton but when he plays he really makes a difference. When he is fit, Jol tends to pick him. Aston Villa have been sniffing around him for a while and have had two bids turned down for him but if the rumours are true that Jol wants Reo-Coker (god help us) then Tainio may be the player to make way. If you could persuade him to drop down a division to come to Charlton then he would become a fans favourite in no-time.
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]out of interest how much do people think bent is worth realistically?

£8-10m cash (plus two fringe players thrown in).
    He'll go for more and I would be disappointed if we had to break our transfer record to get him. Berbatov has been worth every penny of the £10.5m we paid for him, since the FA Cup game against Fulham. You just cant compare Bent and Berbatov - two very different players and a league apart, literally.
    [cite]Posted By: paulbaconsarnie[/cite]we are bigger than southampton who sold a championship left back to spurs for £9m.

Spurs stated that it was £6m in cash and the remaining £3m was structured around milestones, like qualification for the Champions League. And dont forget that Bale is a current International too, allbeit Wales though. I'm really looking forward to seeing Bale play on the left-side of Midfield, balancing the threat of Lennon on the right. We've missed a quality left-sided Midfielder since when Graham sanctioned the sale of Ginola to Villa years ago.
    [cite]Posted By: cunningstunt87[/cite]£10m + Berbatov + Lennon + King.

Lol so what would we get for that then, Darren Bent + all your other players + The Valley + Sparrows Lane Training Ground

In all seriousness, I'd much rather Jol was after Johnson or Ashton than Bent.
  • Options
    Johnson, he might have ex palace connections, but i just cannot see what everyone else see's in him at all. His goal scoring record isn't great and it's not like he lays on many goals for people either... his like Kevin Lisbie but with a slightly better scoring record.

In hindsight Berbatov was a snip, you'd be talking what £30mil if Man Utd wanted him now, in that respect Bent is worth £18m.
  • Options
    18 million any less I would feel that the board has let us down. Speaking for myself of course some people would feel different.

If Blackburn is looking for 1.5 million for Jeffers and Derby looks like they are going to buy him. We let him go for nawt. our history for selling is not very good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    [cite]Posted By: pete_tong1[/cite]
    If Blackburn is looking for 1.5 million for Jeffers and Derby looks like they are going to buy him. We let him go for nawt. our history for selling is not very good.

He was out of contract, and wasn't our player to sell !!
  • Options
    There is selling an asset and selling a liability... what we save on payments to arsenal and wages probably account for the 1.5m we would have got on a fee paid by someone finally willing to take a chance on him.

As far as assets go we sold Parker for £10million the most that any club has paid for him so far and at the time in a depressed transfer market. Which was decent business, i see the club being as hard regarding any deal for Bent. "We want to keep him, he wants to stay, how much are you willing to pay to get him?"
  • Options
    The point about Berbatov is how much is he worth now.. we could find out soon. Then there's Carrick, etc..
  • Options
    You just cant compare Bent and Berbatov - two very different players and a league apart, literally. [Quote]

Yes, Berbatov is a better player BUT he is playing with a bunch of other class players in a successful side.

Benty has been doing the business playing with an absolute load of shite apart from his first 12-15 games when we had our strongest side for a while.

I would have Berbatov over Bent, obviously, but Bent's record should not be sneezed at and is phenomenal when you think of the service he has received, especially away from home.
  • Options
    Bent at 18m is a bargain. I have been really impressed with his attitude and the fact that he has played on a shyte team this year and hasn't muttered one dissenting word. You can take all your Joey Barton's and shove them where the sun doesn't shine. This guy is a credit to Charlton and football and deserves to play for the best. I honestly believe in 2 or 3 years he maybe as good as Henry if at the right club. Good luck Darren.
  • Options
    Torres is an over-rated ponce who would flop in the prem. There's no way he would come here - unless it was to ManYoo - and even then he'd fail.

Villa, on the other hand, is an excellent player. Nice turn of pace, decent in the air, very good finisher and has a bit of flith about him, so would be able to adapt better to the Premiership.

That said, Villa is in the Morientes mould and he didn't exactly set the world alight with the Mickeys, so maybe I'm wrong.

We won't get more than 12 million plus a loanee/reserve muppet for Bent - unless Rafa has his sights set on him and Curbs can't prise Johnson away from Everton. If that happens, we might get a bit more cos a bidding war could break out - but even then it won't be more than 14. Our one saving grace regarding the fee could be that Bent doesn't seem like the kind to do a Spotty and chuck his toys out the pram.
  • Options
    If Curbs went for Johnson ahead of Bent how would that make Darren feel?

a) Just like all the others like Sven, McLaren etc who wont pick me because i play for Charlton or
    b) I suppose he just doesnt want to damage Charlton as he loves them so much

?