Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Airstrikes against Syria

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018
    Greenie said:

Missed It said:

As a 40-50 year old football supporting bloke on a forum with an opinion on everything who also happens to be an RAF reservist, I'd stand a good chance of having to go to another desert shithole war.

The question is, are we happy to live in a world where, by degrees, the use of chemical weapons becomes accepted practice. If there are no consequences to Syria's use of chemical weapons, and Russia will do their utmost to ensure all reasonable diplomatic efforts are scuppered, they will just carry on gassing civilians. One day this shit will find it's way on to the London Underground.

Having said that, I expect the Syrians will carry on using chemical weapons and accept the air strikes that follow as the cost of doing business. The whole thing will rumble on for years until Assad has killed every last rebel.

And that is the illogical argument, and this is where they get you, wether we bomb Syria or not has absolutely no bearing on Russian chemical weapons hitting our underground, look at Salisbury last month.......and how easy it was......!
    I don't see it as a huge leap in logic.

I'd say our permissive approach to Russia's behaviour in the UK has led to numerous dissident ex-pat Russians and people with unfortunate business connections meeting a bad end. If there is no consequence to these actions, they just carry on and become even more brazen.

Chemical weapons used to be the norm back in WWI. The world got a grip of itself and banned them, even got through WWII without using them on the battlefield. Now they're being used again, and nobody does anything to stop it so they will continue to be used, mostly against civilians.

• Options

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

I'm not in support of this

Im not a coward or a snowflake or a leftie or a hippy. I'm just fucked off with us bombing people, for all the advances humanity makes it can't shake off fucking slaughtering each other can it.

shiite this, sunni that, Christian this

how about human being this or human being that

I'd have a grudging respect for the anuses making these calls if they were honest and said "it's about oil, it's about money, it's about hedging my bets for the defence company me and my partner are large shareholders of"

No, it can't. But do you stand idly by while one particularly nasty c**t, with the full backing of another, drops illegal poisoned gas all over unarmed civilians to flush out pockets of resistance? Perhaps you do.

Yes we should, harsh as that may seem, we have no bloody business out there, every time we intervene we and our puppet masters the USA, make it worse, we invaded Iraq in 2003 and executed Saddam and then Libya and Gaddafi, not understanding or not caring more like,the two aforementioned bastards kept it under control, now the centuries old unstable middle east has dissolved into fractioned anarchy, with various factions trying to gain power. As soon as we and the USA (the worlds unelected Police force) get rid of one dictator, another comes along. It has been the same for years and will never ever change.
    Also all the people calling for bombing, lets take it too its full logical conclusion should Russia decide to retaliate. Guess who goes to war (assuming its not Nuclear), not the 40-50 year old football supporting blokes on a forum, with an opinion on everything, its kids, 18/19/20 etc, my kids, my nephews, your kids, your grandkids, and definitely NOT the shit house politicians that sanctioned bombing another country without due diligence and the backing of our combined general counsel. And if anyone buys into the humanitarian excuse then your are so naive, its laughable, its oil, its firearms, its money and in some cases it garners political brownie points to the less intelligent.
    If we are true to humanitarian reasons for defending the world, then Mugabe would have been removed years ago.
    So yes we do stand idly by, because if that means my kids dont have to go to war, like I have been lucky enough not to, then its worth it.
    Its bullshit and we are swallowing it.

“if you tolerate this, then your children will be next”.

We are in the position to intervene and we should to show the world using chemical weapons is unacceptable.
    I really don't get the distinction between easily and crudely made chlorine bombs (that we and others used in WW1) and fire and forget missiles or cluster bombs. They all kill innocent people.

The UK, US and France are not the world's self-righteous police - if we do intervene it is because there are motives other than the moral high ground. The west acts as if it is holier than thou all the time - it is not.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

Im not a coward or a snowflake or a leftie or a hippy. I'm just fucked off with us bombing people, for all the advances humanity makes it can't shake off fucking slaughtering each other can it.

I'd have a grudging respect for the anuses making these calls if they were honest and said "it's about oil, it's about money, it's about hedging my bets for the defence company me and my partner are large shareholders of"

No, it can't. But do you stand idly by while one particularly nasty c**t, with the full backing of another, drops illegal poisoned gas all over unarmed civilians to flush out pockets of resistance? Perhaps you do.

Yes we should, harsh as that may seem, we have no bloody business out there, every time we intervene we and our puppet masters the USA, make it worse, we invaded Iraq in 2003 and executed Saddam and then Libya and Gaddafi, not understanding or not caring more like,the two aforementioned bastards kept it under control, now the centuries old unstable middle east has dissolved into fractioned anarchy, with various factions trying to gain power. As soon as we and the USA (the worlds unelected Police force) get rid of one dictator, another comes along. It has been the same for years and will never ever change.
    Also all the people calling for bombing, lets take it too its full logical conclusion should Russia decide to retaliate. Guess who goes to war (assuming its not Nuclear), not the 40-50 year old football supporting blokes on a forum, with an opinion on everything, its kids, 18/19/20 etc, my kids, my nephews, your kids, your grandkids, and definitely NOT the shit house politicians that sanctioned bombing another country without due diligence and the backing of our combined general counsel. And if anyone buys into the humanitarian excuse then your are so naive, its laughable, its oil, its firearms, its money and in some cases it garners political brownie points to the less intelligent.
    If we are true to humanitarian reasons for defending the world, then Mugabe would have been removed years ago.
    So yes we do stand idly by, because if that means my kids dont have to go to war, like I have been lucky enough not to, then its worth it.

We are in the position to intervene and we should to show the world using chemical weapons is unacceptable.
    I really don't get the distinction between easily and crudely made chlorine bombs (that we and others used in WW1) and fire and forget missiles or cluster bombs. They all kill innocent people.

The UK, US and France are not the world's self-righteous police - if we do intervene it is because there are motives other than the moral high ground. The west acts as if it is holier than thou all the time - it is not.
    And thats the rub, we have chemical weapons stockpiled, I wonder what they are for..........?
  • Options
    Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

And thats the rub, we have chemical weapons stockpiled, I wonder what they are for..........?
    We have smallpox stockpiled in labs. What for? Because we can still learn a lot from these chemicals/bacteria.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Greenie said:

Missed It said:

As a 40-50 year old football supporting bloke on a forum with an opinion on everything who also happens to be an RAF reservist, I'd stand a good chance of having to go to another desert shithole war.

The question is, are we happy to live in a world where, by degrees, the use of chemical weapons becomes accepted practice. If there are no consequences to Syria's use of chemical weapons, and Russia will do their utmost to ensure all reasonable diplomatic efforts are scuppered, they will just carry on gassing civilians. One day this shit will find it's way on to the London Underground.

Having said that, I expect the Syrians will carry on using chemical weapons and accept the air strikes that follow as the cost of doing business. The whole thing will rumble on for years until Assad has killed every last rebel.

And that is the illogical argument, and this is where they get you, wether we bomb Syria or not has absolutely no bearing on Russian chemical weapons hitting our underground, look at Salisbury last month.......and how easy it was......!

I'd say our permissive approach to Russia's behaviour in the UK has led to numerous dissident ex-pat Russians and people with unfortunate business connections meeting a bad end. If there is no consequence to these actions, they just carry on and become even more brazen.

Chemical weapons used to be the norm back in WWI. The world got a grip of itself and banned them, even got through WWII without using them on the battlefield. Now they're being used again, and nobody does anything to stop it so they will continue to be used, mostly against civilians.

Then if we are threatened or we get info that it may, then we do something, bombing a country thousands of miles away from us, in distance and ethically and culturally, does not, has never and will never stop Russia attacking us, if they see fit and wish to start WW3.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Missed It said:

Greenie said:

Missed It said:

Then if we are threatened or we get info that it may, then we do something, bombing a country thousands of miles away from us, in distance and ethically and culturally, does not, has never and will never stop Russia attacking us, if they see fit and wish to start WW3.
    They won’t start world war 3. It’s not in putin’s interests. The bloke is a very good gambler and will push anything as far as it can go without pinging back on him. The reason putin got involved in Syria because he saw a chance to grab influence in the region from the west. He doesn’t want a world war, his oligarch friends would not be happy with losing their London assets and Europe stopping buying gas from them.

This military action was about saying to Syria not to use chemical weapons.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

The UK has no chemical weapons stockpiled. The lack of chemical weapons was identified as gap in NATO capability back in the 1980's. Thankfully, Thatcher was dissuaded from her notion of starting up a chemical weapons production facility. Whatever small amounts of material are at Porton Down are used for research and defence.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Greenie said:

Missed It said:

Greenie said:

Missed It said:

They won’t start world war 3. It’s not in putin’s interests. The bloke is a very good gambler and will push anything as far as it can go without pinging back on him. The reason putin got involved in Syria because he saw a chance to grab influence in the region from the west. He doesn’t want a world war, his oligarch friends would not be happy with losing their London assets and Europe stopping buying gas from them.

And you know this do you? Are you in the know?

No it was not, it was about A) Giving Russia a bloody nose (do you really think our government give a shit about kids in Syria (they dont look after the less fortunate people they govern in their own country) and b ) Protecting the natural resources available in the middle east, no more no less.
  • Options
    Missed It said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

The UK has no chemical weapons stockpiled. The lack of chemical weapons was identified as gap in NATO capability back in the 1980's. Thankfully, Thatcher was dissuaded from her notion of starting up a chemical weapons production facility. Whatever small amounts of material are at Porton Down are used for research and defence.
    You genuinely believe that?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Missed It said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

Behave.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Missed It said:

Greenie said:

Missed It said:

And you know this do you? Are you in the know?

No it was not, it was about A) Giving Russia a bloody nose (do you really think our government give a shit about kids in Syria (they dont look after the less fortunate people they govern in their own country) and b ) Protecting the natural resources available in the middle east, no more no less.
    I could equally give the exact same retort you gave me in “how do you know? Evidence? Are you in the know?”.

Read up about how putin got to power by essentially blackmailing the oligarchs. He’d either end up president or dead. He lucked out and became president.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Missed It said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

Behave.
    Well sourced reply.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Missed It said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

Yes. I'd be interested to see the evidence on which you base your belief that the UK has a deployable stockpile of chemical weapons though.

I understand your cynicism on this issue though. Successive governments have lied through their teeth to us about many things, but not on this I believe.

• Options
    Great to see the Russian misinformation campaign of the last few years have really come to fruition.
  • Options

Great to see the Tory misinformation campaign of the last few years have really come to fruition.

There you go.......
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Missed It said:

bobmunro said:

Missed It said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

Yes. I'd be interested to see the evidence on which you base your belief that the UK has a deployable stockpile of chemical weapons though.

I understand your cynicism on this issue though. Successive governments have lied through their teeth to us about many things, but not on this I believe.

Of course I have no evidence and we would certainly not be informed if it were the case - it is based on probability.

We know the Russians have stockpiles, I'm sure China does too and our little chum in North Korea. For NATO not to have the same level of access would be strategically naive.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Great to see the Tory misinformation campaign of the last few years have really come to fruition.

There you go.......
    So there’s another “deep state” over here that all the hard working people in the intelligence services and ministry of defence are all in on it, and there’s zero evidence for your belief. But sure, there’s a deep state conspiracy.

• Options
    Was there this much outrage for the Saudi toxic gas attack in Yemen?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Missed It said:

bobmunro said:

Missed It said:

Greenie said:

bobmunro said:

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

Of course I have no evidence and we would certainly not be informed it it were the case - it is based on probability.

We know the Russians have stockpiles, I'm sure China does too and our little chum in North Korea. For NATO not to have the same level of access would be strategically naive.
    The US does have a stockpile of these weapons. They had an absolute shit-ton of this stuff and it's currently being destroyed under the terms of the Chemical Weapons Convention. That said, they don't expect to finish the job until well into the next decade so while the US is getting rid of it, they maintain a 'nod and a wink' deterence policy when it comes to this stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Greenie said:

There you go.......
    So there’s another “deep state” over here that all the hard working people in the intelligence services and ministry of defence are all in on it, and there’s zero evidence for your belief. But sure, there’s a deep state conspiracy.

I trust May, Johnson, Rudd and the other incompetent abominations that are in British government only slightly more than I trust Putin. And believe me its a low level of trust, the evidence points out that I have every reason not to trust these nest feathering faeces.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

Brilliant, you are now quoting Manic Street Preachers in a matter of potential world war...go and sit in a dark room for a good while, and when you are ready, come out and apologise.
    It’s a quote from a Spanish republican civil war poster actually aimed at welsh volunteers re fascism (which Assad and putin’s Russia are fascist states). And the poster was right. The Spanish civil war was the precursor to the second world war. MSP took it and put it into a song.
    Excellent googling :wink:
  • Options

Imagine it was all fake news and anyway Russia wasn't involved. The lovable old Saudis are our allies and have a great record over human rights....

To imply that we're not consistent in the UK is pretty shocking.

The easiest thing is just to follow Fox News and the Daily Mail. Clear answers to complex problems!
  • Options

That's why this whole thing is fucked. The Russians thought everybody was operating on one set of rules - "It's OK to gas them a bit, just don't do it too often" that the US and UK were applying to Saudi Arabia in Yemen and then it turns out that these are not the rules after all and Russia's ally Syria gets bombed instead. It's not surprising that they cry "Not fair!", even though they are among the biggest cheaters in the game.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

Brilliant, you are now quoting Manic Street Preachers in a matter of potential world war...go and sit in a dark room for a good while, and when you are ready, come out and apologise.
    It’s a quote from a Spanish republican civil war poster actually aimed at welsh volunteers re fascism (which Assad and putin’s Russia are fascist states). And the poster was right. The Spanish civil war was the precursor to the second world war. MSP took it and put it into a song.
    Well, you google “if you tolerate this” and it’s literally the first thing on the MSP wiki page. @Greenie has access to incredibly secret information that everything we know is a lie but can’t use google. Strange.
  • Options
    Assad is a fascist and an abominable human being, no doubt about that, but he is a SECULAR fascist. So, the scenario for a regime change would most likely involve Syria being run by a fundamentalist Islamic regime. That should be fun, I'm sure Israel and the West would welcome that. Just take a look at what happened to other Middle-East regimes. I really don't know what the answer is but I'm fed up to the back teeth with what's happening out there dominating our lives.
  • Options

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

Well, you google “if you tolerate this” and it’s literally the first thing on the MSP wiki page. @Greenie has access to incredibly secret information that everything we know is a lie but can’t use google. Strange.
    Im calling 'bullshit'. You know and I know you were quoting Manic Street Preachers.
  • Options
    Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

Im calling 'bullshit'. You know and I know you were quoting Manic Street Preachers.
    I was quoting a poster that’s quoted in a great song. Just because you didn’t know that the song is from a poster doesn’t mean others are as ignorant.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

Greenie said:

IdleHans said:

Carter said:

I was quoting a poster that’s quoted in a great song. Just because you didn’t know that the song is from a poster doesn’t mean others are as ignorant.
    Thats right, of course you were. Ultimately it doesn't matter, what matters is we leave those countries to sort themselves out.