Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Cyber Attack

Any of you boffins have a view on the cyber attack warning issued on Monday?

It seems the Ruskies are infiltrating not just the routers of business and commerce, but also our home hubs. They are not so interested in whether Charlton play with one or two up front, but rather more in using our collective space to cause damage.

I know it’s possible to change the password of the home hub - something not strictly speaking recommended, but would it help in making things more secure?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/us-uk-issue-first-of-its-kind-joint-warning-about-russian-cyberattacks-1.3463935

Comments

• I posted the message below in the "Amazon Alexa" thread back in November 2017. I got laughed at and the piss taken.

All of these devices are gathering data on the users and sending it back to big brother on a mega server somewhere. When the servers get hacked by the Russians and all the data stolen they will all be on Ebay for a tenner.

• Any of you boffins have a view on the cyber attack warning issued on Monday?

It seems the Ruskies are infiltrating not just the routers of business and commerce, but also our home hubs. They are not so interested in whether Charlton play with one or two up front, but rather more in using our collective space to cause damage.

I know it’s possible to change the password of the home hub - something not strictly speaking recommended, but would it help in making things more secure?

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/uk/us-uk-issue-first-of-its-kind-joint-warning-about-russian-cyberattacks-1.3463935

I thought it was the exact opposite - that you are recommended to change it! (Not that I've bothered with mine!)

bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40382877
  • A lot of "Internet of things" appliances are hopelessly insecure. There have already been attacks that employed an army of hacked household devices. I turn my router off when I'm not using the internet.
  • Close down the internet would be the logical conclusion. There must be big switch in Tim Berners-Lee's study, he could turn it off.
  • If Russia have the capability of infiltrating and shutting down our systems then rest assured we also have the capability to do it to them.

MAI - mutually assured inconvenience.
  • There are lots of mature Russians on Redtube at the moment. Could they have started already?
  • Just turned on Red Tube and got a speech by Corbyn ?
  • Any of you boffins have a view on the cyber attack warning issued on Monday?

Always change your password from the default.

I have changed the router name and password on every router I have had.

Make sure your passwords are random and contain at least 12 characters (inc upper case, lower case, symbol and numbers) and you should be fine