Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

london marathon 2018

Comments

• Options
    Great day watched my 2 pals and Scp who shook our hands, watched from temple
  • Options
    Sir Chris must have got injured cos I stalked him looked at his split time and he was on for 4hrs 40 mins (double ish the time at the halfway point )
  • Options

Sir Chris must have got injured cos I stalked him looked at his split time and he was on for 4hrs 40 mins (double ish the time at the halfway point )

He was busy. The embankment was like Capernaum for poor old Chris!
  • Options
    RIP Matt
  • Options
    He was the guy in Masterchef that cooked all the healthy food. So sad.
  • Options
    shows aswell that that's a man that took his running seriously, we was actually discussing yesterday should if be a criteria of the london marathon that you have to do a half marathon?, he done the Manchester marathon in under 3 hours i think, RIP
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

shows aswell that that's a man that took his running seriously, we was actually discussing yesterday should if be a criteria of the london marathon that you have to do a half marathon?, he done the Manchester marathon in under 3 hours i think, RIP

As weird as it sounds probably one of the factors (probably not the place to assume, I know) as you push your body to the limits.
  • Options
    DRAddick said:

Well done to anyone who took part. Must have been a killer in that heat.

My nephew done it in 5hr & 5mins....not a great time (his previous best for London was 4.20), said the heat really got to him.
  • Options

DRAddick said:

Well done to anyone who took part. Must have been a killer in that heat.

My nephew done it in 5hr & 5mins....not a great time (his previous best for London was 4.20), said the heat really got to him.
    I think times went out the window when running in that kind of heat. Most people I know who finished did so well outside their estimated times. Credit to anyone for just getting through it yesterday.

Very sad about the guy who has passed away. RIP.
  • Options

We was actually discussing yesterday should if be a criteria of the london marathon that you have to do a half marathon?

I don't think that's a bad idea actually... there are plenty of Half-Marathon's out there so it wouldn't be like having to achieve a qualifying time... Would highlight just how far you have to run to do a Marathon and would stop some people from risking their lives if they aren't fit enough.

My Sister for example would be someone like this... She's just entered the ballot for next year, but bless her she's never even done any running before now and no offence to her, would be shocked if she's there on the start line next April even if she gets a place.
  • Options

We was actually discussing yesterday should if be a criteria of the london marathon that you have to do a half marathon?

I don't think that's a bad idea actually... there are plenty of Half-Marathon's out there so it wouldn't be like having to achieve a qualifying time... Would highlight just how far you have to run to do a Marathon and would stop some people from risking their lives if they aren't fit enough.

My Sister for example would be someone like this... She's just entered the ballot for next year, but bless her she's never even done any running before now and no offence to her, would be shocked if she's there on the start line next April even if she gets a place.
    i think it would be a great idea, not being funny but yesterday was quite extreme with the heat, but there was some people that were in seriously bad ways at mile 24 it cant be healthy.
  • Options

i think it would be a great idea, not being funny but yesterday was quite extreme with the heat, but there was some people that were in seriously bad ways at mile 24 it cant be healthy.
    Or alternatively they could take part in a check-up prior to the event, say when they visit the excel in the days leading up to the event when numbers need to be collected.

Yes it's arduous and time-consuming but this happens in amateur cycling events with doctors carrying out all sorts of tests, it's compulsory.
  • Options

Its frustrating in a way because of the BBC and their attitude... each year the run out the same words: "Think you can do it next year, come and give it a go, the ballot opens blah blah blah"

Hate to say it but no, you shouldn't ever think you can handle a Marathon, you should know your able to handle it

Yes the conditions were bad yesterday yet thats why you should prepare accordingly for it - the BBC and media should be encouraging those who want to give it ago, to join a running club, then work at it for a few years by racing at the various distances (5k | 10k | 10-mile | Half-Marathon | 20-mile | Marathon) and then enter for the full distance.

Took me two years before I even considered entering the London Marathon for that reason, and in that time I got used to running in all kinds of conditions, from cold winters to battering rain to lovely sunshine

And on the day it was the hottest Marathon on record (2007) and even I really struggled
  • Options
    Howells said:

Or alternatively they could take part in a check-up prior to the event, say when they visit the excel in the days leading up to the event when numbers need to be collected.

Yes it's arduous and time-consuming but this happens in amateur cycling events with doctors carrying out all sorts of tests, it's compulsory.
    I don't think that is practical with over 40,000 people taking part. Perhaps a GP could be required to sign the application but incidents like yesterday's tragic death are unlikely to be prevented as there must have been an undiagnosed underlying condition.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Howells said:

I don't think that is practical with over 40,000 people taking part. Perhaps a GP could be required to sign the application but incidents like yesterday's tragic death are unlikely to be prevented as there must have been an undiagnosed underlying condition.
    all participants in the paris marathon, and all french sports events, need a doctor's certificate. most brits either get a friend who's a doctor to do it or just make their own on ms word as gps don't like to commit to saying someone is fit- presumably due to compensation culture

even if it were done properly by gps with full medical checks, I'm not aware of any recent death in the sport where the person wouldn't have received a certificate so a lot of work would have saved no one. it's just an unfortunate fact that if 40, 000 people exert themselves like that you'll occasionally get a death
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Its frustrating in a way because of the BBC and their attitude... each year the run out the same words: "Think you can do it next year, come and give it a go, the ballot opens blah blah blah"

Hate to say it but no, you shouldn't ever think you can handle a Marathon, you should know your able to handle it

Yes the conditions were bad yesterday yet thats why you should prepare accordingly for it - the BBC and media should be encouraging those who want to give it ago, to join a running club, then work at it for a few years by racing at the various distances (5k | 10k | 10-mile | Half-Marathon | 20-mile | Marathon) and then enter for the full distance.

Took me two years before I even considered entering the London Marathon for that reason, and in that time I got used to running in all kinds of conditions, from cold winters to battering rain to lovely sunshine

And on the day it was the hottest Marathon on record (2007) and even I really struggled
    I done it in 1986, other than football, never did much running. Started training for it in Dec, 16 weeks training. Didn't help that three weeks before it, I went on a 10 day Gaelic football tour of Ireland. Struggled for the last 3 miles and done it in 3 1/2 hrs.
  • Options
    C_A_F_C said:
    as i didn't have scp bib number i had to map him by his name there were 3 chris powell's running yesterday.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the 29 year old chef who died and the fact that he ran a marathon under 3 hours recently tells you he was pushing his body to the limit for a non professional athlete. Yesterdays heat was an accident waiting to happen but would we be called the nanny state if you had to have completed 3 half marathons to even be considered ?

RIP Matt Campbell.
  • Options
    RIP - Fortunately his death will not be in vain, his charity page has shot up to over £30,000 since his death was announced.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

RIP - Fortunately his death will not be in vain, his charity page has shot up to over £30,000 since his death was announced.
    Remembered him on Masterchef - seemed a very talented guy. Sad news.
  • Options
    So sad. Unfortunately any sort of extreme physical activity you run an element of risk, look at the pro cyclist that died last week after having a heart attack on his bike.
    If he did run a sub 3 marathon 2 weeks ago then he is obviously very fit, which is even more scary.
  • Options
    Congratulations to all on here that completed it in adverse conditions for distance runners.

RIP Matt Campbell.

Nobody can predict reaction to extremes of temperature. Look at Callum Hawkins in the Commonwealth Games (yes it was hotter in Australia but what about humidity?). One observation of mine which is probably rubbish in reality is that, as a chef, he must have been used to hot, airless conditions so just shows that all the preparation in the world is not 100% foolproof.

• Options
    stonemuse said:
    I had a tenner on him winning it! Seriously -Well done Sir Chris.
  • Options
    Just heard that one of my best friends collapsed last night after completing the marathon and is in a high dependency unit at Kings. Conditions must’ve been brutal and I’ll be praying for a speedy recovery
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

Just heard that one of my best friends collapsed last night after completing the marathon and is in a high dependency unit at Kings. Conditions must’ve been brutal and I’ll be praying for a speedy recovery

Fingers crossed that he'll be okay