Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

london marathon 2018

13»

Comments

• Options
    edited April 2018

_MrDick said:

Just heard that one of my best friends collapsed last night after completing the marathon and is in a high dependency unit at Kings. Conditions must’ve been brutal and I’ll be praying for a speedy recovery

Fingers crossed that he'll be okay
    She’ll .. it doesn’t look good. Just been told a she’s in a coma :(
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

_MrDick said:

Just heard that one of my best friends collapsed last night after completing the marathon and is in a high dependency unit at Kings. Conditions must’ve been brutal and I’ll be praying for a speedy recovery

Has she fallen into it or have they put her in it?

Really sorry to hear that regardless :(
  • Options
    edited April 2018

_MrDick said:

_MrDick said:

Has she fallen into it or have they put her in it?

Really sorry to hear that regardless :(
    Not sure. Have been speaking with her son who says she’ll be in a coma for a few days so that suggests to me it’s induced? She’s also had a number of seizures which I assume are fits?
  • Options
    Hope she pulls through.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    When I've raced my bike in France I've had to have a doctor's letter but it's a formality. You can pay someone to sign a pro forma for you. In order to hold a race license (I'm not talking about sportive here, but actual races) in most European countries, a signed medical statement is part of the license application every year

Sadly, its both impractical and pointless to get non-competitive riders (same applies for runners) to get a medical letter because the briefest of medicals requires isn't going to uncover any underlying heart issue - only a full ECG in test protocol *might* do that.

Last year in the amateur world champs an English rider I passed on one of the climbs died after overheating - not getting enough to drink and then collapsing with organ failure. It can easily happen if you're not used to putting yourself through serious punishment in heat - though perversely, I believe most deaths in distance running events like marathons are because people actually drink too MUCH water.

Hope your mate pulls through
  • Options
    RIP Matt Campbell.

Can't wait for @Anna_Kissed's thread on the number of marathon deaths in the past 20 years, with a petition to ban them.
  • Options
    There wasn’t enough water.

I live close to the Woolwich Road by the A102 flyover and I’m told that’s the second water stop. We were right next to it. They ran out at about 11.15 and there was still about half of the field left. They couldn’t get any more in because the roads were closed.

Me and the lad left in the end because we couldn’t face any more runners coming through asking for water and there wasn’t any. S

It was super hot, and I know in recent years some online shit where spare water has been targeted. The roads are shut so you cant bus extra water in. Can get contingency though where tap water is sprayed over runners or pit into cups.

Runner dehydration is not ok.
  • Options
    That's despicable that there wasn't enough water.

A close friend of mine died while running the Brighton marathon five years ago. Getting that phone call remains one of the worst moments of my life. This year we went back to celebrate his life, support another friend who was running and the lad who was running with him on the day finished the marathon for him from mile 18.

RIP Matt

Thoughts are with you and your friend @_MrDick - hoping she pulls through.
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

Also, one of our club runners was DQd for losing their bib number at 40k

how is that even possible?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    That's horrible to hear, have everything crossed for your friend. I saw a lot of people in a very bad way as I went round - it was a pretty shocking sight.
  • Options
    _MrDick said:

That's horrible to hear, have everything crossed for your friend. I saw a lot of people in a very bad way as I went round - it was a pretty shocking sight.

Update: She’s out of the coma but can’t move because of the amount of pain she’s in. Having an MRI Scan tomorrow to make sure there’s no brain damage arising from the seizures. Fingers crossed for a full recovery.
    Glad to hear she's out of the coma

Will keep my fingers crossed over the scan
  • Options
    I watched the marathon in Charlton this year and a lot of runners didn't look in a good way after only four miles. Running in that heat was pretty unpleasant and in a field of 40000+ I'm just glad there weren't more casualties.

• Options
    Sounds the only sensible thing was to finally stagger the starts so there is a gap for people to record good times, rather than there being just one big bunch
  • Options

I watched the marathon in Charlton this year and a lot of runners didn't look in a good way after only four miles. Running in that heat was pretty unpleasant and in a field of 40000+ I'm just glad there weren't more casualties.

I did a 10k in West Sussex same day and was struggling to maintain my usual pace after only a couple of miles. Finished 10 full minutes slower than my on (about 5 mins slower than my current fitness should allow)
  • Options

Sounds the only sensible thing was to finally stagger the starts so there is a gap for people to record good times, rather than there being just one big bunch

I watched nearly the entire field come through and the sheer number of people is quite overwhelming...
  • Options

they do stagger times, pals set off at 10.50 the 1st lot went off at 10
  • Options

they do stagger times, pals set off at 10.50 the 1st lot went off at 10
    Previously they've just started everyone at the same time, i.e. when I did it, I got moving the moment every else got moving in front of me shortly after 10am

Meant that before I'd gotten to the Sun in the Sands roundabout I had to stop for a few mins because of a bottleneck
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    rina said:

JohnBoyUK said:

thats exactly what I thought Rina, especially as the timing chip is worm on the laces but that is apparently what happened. Haven't seen her since to ask personally but will ask when I see her next...
  • Options
    JohnBoyUK said:

rina said:

JohnBoyUK said:

thats exactly what I thought Rina, especially as the timing chip is worm on the laces but that is apparently what happened. Haven't seen her since to ask personally but will ask when I see her next...
    Here you go @rina its finally made the news...
    http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/16186182.Marathon_mix_up_after_Bexleyheath_runner__thrown_out__of_race_with_finish_line_in_sight/
  • Options
    Addickted said:

RIP Matt Campbell.

Can't wait for @Anna_Kissed's thread on the number of marathon deaths in the past 20 years, with a petition to ban them.

Humans choose what they do. This is a false and unworthy comparison.
    I respect anyone who does an endurance event and feel for them if they suffer or die because of it.