Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket - Summer of 2018

Comments

• Riviera said:

Now that was so much more exciting than the Trent Bridge thrashing and we only hit two 6's.

Technically...truuuue, but you get the lol for writing something so wonderfully in character
  • what a cracking day of sport if you are English
  • what a cracking day of sport if you are English

Yep .quality
  • Sometimes you do need to change the way you play, today wasn't the game for all out attack, it wasn't a 400 plus flat pitch.

It's a real credit to Buttler that he (unlike some of the other batsmen) played such a pivotal innings, 5-0 is SO much better than 4-1
  • At OT today. Great stuff. Still not sure how we won. Great innings from Buttler and super batting from Rashid. People who don't like cricket will never understand the huge cheer and excitement that was greeted with Ball's forward defensive and maiden to give strike back to Buttler.
  • redman said:

At OT today. Great stuff. Still not sure how we won. Great innings from Buttler and super batting from Rashid. People who don't like cricket will never understand the huge cheer and excitement that was greeted with Ball's forward defensive and maiden to give strike back to Buttler.

If Australia had lasted another 5 overs, then things would have been so much tougher for England at the end. Normally teams that are 8 or 9 down are struggling with the run rate as well, whereas England were able to play this like a Test run chase!
  • Leuth said:

Australia already on the plane

Some will have to come back again, there's 20 over match on Wednesday.
  • Sometimes you do need to change the way you play, today wasn't the game for all out attack, it wasn't a 400 plus flat pitch.

It's a real credit to Buttler that he (unlike some of the other batsmen) played such a pivotal innings, 5-0 is SO much better than 4-1

Agreed :smile:
  • serious question......why are we playing Australia in a ODI & T20 series in the middle of playing 2 Test series with other countries ? I appreciate there is a WC next year but surely playing Scotland, Pakistan & India during this summer is enough without flying a team all around the world to play a handful of games......
  • serious question......why are we playing Australia in a ODI & T20 series in the middle of playing 2 Test series with other countries ? I appreciate there is a WC next year but surely playing Scotland, Pakistan & India during this summer is enough without flying a team all around the world to play a handful of games......

There's quite a bit gap between the Pakistan and India series, and maybe they didn't want them to clash with the football WC?

• Sponsored links:

There's quite a bit gap between the Pakistan and India series, and maybe they didn't want them to clash with the football WC?

Yes, I think they may have had problems selling out tickets for Test Matches, but a one dayer is a lot easier to sell.

Because we saw the opportunity to give the Aussies a spanking and couldn't resist :)

Yes, I think they may have had problems selling out tickets for Test Matches, but a one dayer is a lot easier to sell.
    It worked well yesterday at Old Trafford, they showed the footy on a big screen in the car park and then after the game everyone went back to the cricket.
  • Riviera said:

serious question......why are we playing Australia in a ODI & T20 series in the middle of playing 2 Test series with other countries ? I appreciate there is a WC next year but surely playing Scotland, Pakistan & India during this summer is enough without flying a team all around the world to play a handful of games......

It worked well yesterday at Old Trafford, they showed the footy on a big screen in the car park and then after the game everyone went back to the cricket.
    To be honest there didn't seem to that many empty seats when the football was on. Most people just stayed and watched the cricket.
  • redman said:

Riviera said:

serious question......why are we playing Australia in a ODI & T20 series in the middle of playing 2 Test series with other countries ? I appreciate there is a WC next year but surely playing Scotland, Pakistan & India during this summer is enough without flying a team all around the world to play a handful of games......

To be honest there didn't seem to that many empty seats when the football was on. Most people just stayed and watched the cricket.
    Not according to Aggers.
  • edited June 2018
    Got tickets in the ballot for WC 2019. :)
  • Iran v Poland.
  • cfgs said:

So did I!

England vs Saffers
    Sri Lanka vs Sandpaper cheats
  • I got England v Saffers as well, plus Saffers v Bangladesh.
  • Riviera said:

redman said:

Riviera said:

Not according to Aggers.
    Can only quote from area I was in or areas I could see. Wasn't even aware it was on a screen in the car park, certainly until I did hear some roars when the goals were going in.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 2018
    cfgs said:

So did I.
    Aussies at Lords and WI at Hampshire/Rose Bowl/Ageas/Southampton or wherever it is.
    Didn't get SA at the Oval.
  • One rather sad note and something that needs more thought going into it. The presentation and celebration ceremony. After everyone receiving their medals the obligatory champagne came out. Moeen and Rashid, being Muslims, hot footed off stage and left the celebration to the others. Next was the photo and more champagne being squirted about. Moeen and Rashid forced into the pic and then tried to get out of way as the champagne was being thrown about. Moeen got showered by one of the England team and was very unhappy about it.
    This can't be good for team spirit and is disrespectful. I would hope Bayliss and Morgan are aware and something else can be done in future.
  • cfgs said:

So did I!

England vs Saffers
    Both at The Oval

Surprised to get both my Oval matches, but not to get England vs Bangladesh in Cardiff, as matches outside London are usually easier to get. I even went up a price category here (from Bronze to Silver!)

I guess a lot of Bangladeshi fans must have wanted tickets.
  • cfgs said:

So did I!

England vs Saffers
    Both at The Oval

Surprised to get both my Oval matches, but not to get England vs Bangladesh in Cardiff, as matches outside London are usually easier to get. I even went up a price category here (from Bronze to Silver!)

Probably why we didn't get our SA/Oval tickets :-(
  • cfgs said:

So did I!

England vs Saffers
    Both at The Oval

Probably why we didn't get our SA/Oval tickets :-(
    I only bought 20000. I think cfgs got the rest
  • Jos butler opens for T20..... Fair enough!!
    imageimage
  • Paul Farbrace being discussed as permanent replacement for Trevor Clueless when he goes next year. Discussed mainly by Farbrace himself it seems to me. Would be a disaster if he was given the Test job. Have no problem with him being given the white ball gig though.
  • I don't see why we can't have separate coaches for different formats. We've done it before with Giles and Flower.
  • Farbrace and Morgan for white ball and some one completely different for redball.
  • McBobbin said:

I don't see why we can't have separate coaches for different formats. We've done it before with Giles and Flower.

Of course we can, we have different captains. Really like to see one of our recent top players leave the comfort of the TV suite and take it on. Vaughn would be good and as I've been saying for years, Hussain would be brilliant. The ECB are not short of a few quid.