Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Portsmouth ..places to go, train stations, general info

No, i dont work for the Portsmouth Tourist office, but just trying to help share info re a place that i lived and worked in for 7 years(and i have a soft spot for tbh)...

Portsmouth Fratton Park

Nearest Station : Fratton – about a 10 min walk from there –turn left at top of stairs and follow the crowds.

Parking: lots of street parking around the ground but they are tight roads with Victorian housing with no garages so consequently not a lot of space to park.
If you go on to the Harbour (about 2 miles) there is plenty of parking because of off street parking , dealing with Tourists, and get train back to Fratton from Portsmouth Harbour.

Boozers:
Bit sparse around ground but lots in Albert Road, Southsea – but will need to get taxi back to ground from there which might be a bit tough based on the game (or long walk). Albert Road has loads of boozas and eateries,
Currys etc. but not a lot else.Generally full of students.Just good for a pub crawl really
My choice would be to go 2 further stops on to Portsmouth Harbour (end of the line), and then go into new(ish) Outlet Shoping centre called Gunwharf Quays which is next door to Portsmouth Harbour Station.
GW has a fabulous outlook over the Harbour to IOW.
Pubs...
Slug and Lettuce
The Customs House
Bar 38
All Bar One
Bar Risa
Still and West (around the corner from GW)
Spice Island Inn (also around the corner) famous for being Nelsons departure point for Trafalgar and also Walter Raleighs first landing with Spices and also Tobacco I think.
Both the S&W and Spice Island have nice outlooks onto the Harbour
There are also the usual high street food offerings in GW such as Nandos,Pizza Express,Zizzis, Burger King, etc etc. plus outlet shopping if you're bringing the missus - my faves are Oakley and Timberland where they tend
to sell old models at half price.

Other things to see , for those intending to make a weekend of it… - and Portsmouth is worth a weekend !

HMS Victory – easy walk from GW
HMS Warrior – right outside PMH
No 36 Cinema in the Dockyard (largest screen on South Coast)
You can buy a day ticket where you can go around all the attractions the Dockyard has – such as The Mary Rose and Harbour Boat tour.

Gosport:
Gosport is a 2 min ferry ride across the Harbour from PMH (every 8 mins) where there is:....
Submarine Museum – including HMS Alliance WW2 sub that you can walk around.
Explosion museum showing armaments from the various times of warfare involving Portsmouth.
Gosport also has Haslar Creek, which is where the saying ‘up the creek without a paddle’ comes from , in that wounded or sick soldiers came back on the boats to Haslar Hospital, and were ferried up the creek on small boats,
but generally never came back

Pubs – Castle tavern – 100 yards from ferry exit on right (100 yards) – fantastic home made food – recommend the pies ( I know, I used to live next door).
The Boathouse – walk a further 5 mins through a car park to TB which looks out onto Gosport Marina-lovely and serene.

Outside of Portsmouth…

Port Solent (about 5 miles from Pompey)– one of my favourite places – man made Marina surrounded by houses on one side and pubs (Wetherspoons (a good one)) and restaurants on the other side. All looking out onto the Yachts
moored in the Marina.

Comments

• Went to uni in Pompey. Lived in Orchard Road - about 5-10 mins walk from Fratton Park for 3 years.

Good memories from those times
  • Went to uni in Pompey. Lived in Orchard Road - about 5-10 mins walk from Fratton Park for 3 years.

Yes, despite what people on here say about it being a shithole, i really enjoyed my time in Pompey and have some great memories of the place and also have many friends there.
  • edited April 2018
  • There are far worse shitholes mate - believe me - including virtually everything north of Watford- and thats a shithole.
  • I was Joking, only ever been to the ground
  • Southamptons a bigger shithole in my view. Portsmouths got a bit of character and some good pubs. Southampton's got.........a shopping centre and some docks.
  • Spent September 1985 in Gosport, Exercise Brave Defender and I can confirm that 33 years ago it was a sh@thole, sorry Stu ;-)
  • That said, I was probably in a bad mood after being handed 'that letter' about the move to Selhurst the week before we deployed there to be fair.
  • Any culture vultures out there, artist and Charlton fan Ray Richardson has an exhibition on at the Jackhouse gallery in the high street.
    http://www.jackhousegallery.co.uk/
  • Sponsored links:

• Where are most charlton going to be heading for? Thanks for the info, spice island looks like the one for me, with a bit of history and a nice location but I’d rather drink with everyone so if people are heading elsewhere then please let me know
  • SE7toSG3 said:

Spent September 1985 in Gosport, Exercise Brave Defender and I can confirm that 33 years ago it was a sh@thole, sorry Stu ;-)

Ah, now Gosport is a different story - it *is* a shithole - actually reminds me of Woolwich 33 years ago !
  • What’s everyone doing then, beers on Albert Road or down to the seafront ?
  • cabbie8 said:

Where are most charlton going to be heading for? Thanks for the info, spice island looks like the one for me, with a bit of history and a nice location but I’d rather drink with everyone so if people are heading elsewhere then please let me know

Spice Island and Still and West are very close to each other and both have outside terraces where you can sit down , have a pint and watch the Harbour traffic. Nice places.
  • Some great boozers in Portsmouth. One of the best days of the season

Small world, I went to uni there and lived on Manners Road (just round the corner)!

Loved it down there
  • a pal that has been before said drinking in the harbour is like drinking in an outside bluewater, think most will head for southsea, thats where ill be heading anyway.
  • edited April 2018

a pal that has been before said drinking in the harbour is like drinking in an outside bluewater, think most will head for southsea, thats where ill be heading anyway.

If you want a pub crawl with typical boozers, go to Albert Road (Southsea). Something like 20 pubs in a road about half a mile long. Not much else there though. And not that easy to get to from Station or to get to ground after.

If you want somewhere a little more classy, with a continental feel about it, with great views, with not so many pubs, but definitely better quality boozers and eateries where its easy to get to (literally 2 min walk from Portsmouth Harbour station) and also easy to get to ground (2 mins walk back and then 2 stops on train to Fratton) then go to Gunwharf Quays.

Anyone that knows me will know I'm doing the classy :)
    (that's if you can equate classy to Portsmouth !)
  • cabbie8 said:

Where are most charlton going to be heading for? Thanks for the info, spice island looks like the one for me, with a bit of history and a nice location but I’d rather drink with everyone so if people are heading elsewhere then please let me know

Spice Island and Still and West are very close to each other and both have outside terraces where you can sit down , have a pint and watch the Harbour traffic. Nice places.
    One of these two for me then! See you all sat
  • Sponsored links:

• a pal that has been before said drinking in the harbour is like drinking in an outside bluewater, think most will head for southsea, thats where ill be heading anyway.

If you want a pub crawl with typical boozers, go to Albert Road (Southsea). Something like 20 pubs in a road about half a mile long. Not much else there though. And not that easy to get to from Station or to get to ground after.

If you want somewhere a little more classy, with a continental feel about it, with great views, with not so many pubs, but definitely better quality boozers and eateries where its easy to get to (literally 2 min walk from Portsmouth Harbour station) and also easy to get to ground (2 mins walk back and then 2 stops on train to Fratton) then go to Gunwharf Quays.

just out of interest how would i get to albert road from from the train presume its Pompey and southsea station.

just out of interest how would i get to albert road from from the train presume its Pompey and southsea station.
    According to Google Maps, Albert Road Southsea is 1.3 miles from Portsmouth and Southsea station and takes 25 mins walking. Taxis are outside the station as usual.

Its exactly the same distance and time from Albert Road to Fratton Park - 1.3 miles and 25 mins walk.

Uber is also available in Portsmouth btw.
  • https://www.firstgroup.com/uploads/maps/Route_1_1.pdf

The number 1 bus goes from the east part of Albert Road to Fratton too (every 10 minutes)
  • The Red,White and Blue Pub is 'famous' for having taken the EPL to court over being able to show Moody Greek coverage of the Premier league on Saturday afternoons...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2011/feb/03/pub-landlady-premier-league-television-rights
  • Is there not an away fans pub near the ground?
  • We usually go to a pub called the Artillery Arms which is about a 5 minute walk from the away end.

Unless there is an away pub that’s where I’ll go on Saturday.

Aiming for the 10.30out of Waterloo which I imagine might be quite busy
  • Is there not an away fans pub near the ground?

Good Companions
  • 5th Hants Volunteer Arms on Albert Road. Back in the days of Gales Ales was the best place to drink. Now a Fullers pub but apparently the reputation is sustained.
  • would go good companion but have visions of plymouth 1st game of the season took about 2 hours to get served.