Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Portsmouth ..places to go, train stations, general info

Comments

• Options

a pal that has been before said drinking in the harbour is like drinking in an outside bluewater, think most will head for southsea, thats where ill be heading anyway.

If you want a pub crawl with typical boozers, go to Albert Road (Southsea). Something like 20 pubs in a road about half a mile long. Not much else there though. And not that easy to get to from Station or to get to ground after.

If you want somewhere a little more classy, with a continental feel about it, with great views, with not so many pubs, but definitely better quality boozers and eateries where its easy to get to (literally 2 min walk from Portsmouth Harbour station) and also easy to get to ground (2 mins walk back and then 2 stops on train to Fratton) then go to Gunwharf Quays.

Anyone that knows me will know I'm doing the classy :)
    (that's if you can equate classy to Portsmouth !)
    just out of interest how would i get to albert road from from the train presume its Pompey and southsea station.
    According to Google Maps, Albert Road Southsea is 1.3 miles from Portsmouth and Southsea station and takes 25 mins walking. Taxis are outside the station as usual.

Its exactly the same distance and time from Albert Road to Fratton Park - 1.3 miles and 25 mins walk.

Uber is also available in Portsmouth btw.
    thanks
  • Options
    Someone told me that Portsmouth has the biggest concentration of pubs in UK
  • Options
    I'm meeting a Portsmouth supporting friend in the Shepherds Crook which apparently is also welcoming to away fans.
  • Options
    redman said:

I'm meeting a Portsmouth supporting friend in the Shepherds Crook which apparently is also welcoming to away fans.

Yes, Shepherds Crook welcomes away fans - friendly booza, bit of a sticky carpet pub, not that far from stadium, has a nice garden out back.
  • Options

would go good companion but have visions of plymouth 1st game of the season took about 2 hours to get served.

that was a joke, finally got served bought 2 pints and pissed off.
  • Options
    4 of us going.
    Good companion it is
  • Options

would go good companion but have visions of plymouth 1st game of the season took about 2 hours to get served.

that was a joke, finally got served bought 2 pints and pissed off.
    unfortunately after the slog of a journey we made a bad call to head for there after texting a few freinds already there who said its pretty empty, just about comes a close 2nd to the toilet that is the fleur de lis in gillingham where the majority bought cans from next door and drunk them outside.
  • Options

drewman said:

Southamptons a bigger shithole in my view. Portsmouths got a bit of character and some good pubs. Southampton's got.........a shopping centre and some docks.

I have lived in Southampton for 30 years and would like to point out that Southampton is a lot nicer than Portsmouth.

Portsmouth is a shithole.
    Gosport is best.
  • Options

drewman said:

Southamptons a bigger shithole in my view. Portsmouths got a bit of character and some good pubs. Southampton's got.........a shopping centre and some docks.

I have lived in Southampton for 30 years and would like to point out that Southampton is a lot nicer than Portsmouth.

Gosport is best.
    Just the traffic that's shit getting in and out.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

drewman said:

Gosport is best.
    Just the traffic that's shit getting in and out.
    oh god , that was so frustrating, I sold my car and went without !
  • Options

drewman said:

But can you get a 3 bed in Southampton for 100k
  • Options
    clb74 said:

drewman said:

But can you get a 3 bed in Southampton for 100k
    Prompts hundreds now on rightmove.
  • Options
    Is the Air Balloon pub still down there?

Been twice but no idea where I drank.

Proper ground and proper City - full of character.

Southend you may be okay. Most I’ve heard are on either the 8.45am or 9.30am. We’re on the latter so early start from Maidstone.

I’ve put my back out this morning and am gutted. What was poised to be a great day out willl now be a constant pain filled struggle.
  • Options

Southend you may be okay. Most I’ve heard are on either the 8.45am or 9.30am. We’re on the latter so early start from Maidstone.

I’ve put my back out this morning and am gutted. What was poised to be a great day out willl now be a constant pain filled struggle.

Bit like watching Charlton then.
  • Options
    Lots of good advice here. I'm designated driver with two others and we're meeting more down there. Hoping to park quite close to ground and find the pub most welcoming to away fans.
  • Options
    We're driving and then meeting friends coming from London by train.

Aiming to drive from the ground towards Albert Rd, park around halfway & walk the rest to meet up in the Bold Forrester, or if not looking good, A N Other pub with food along that road.

Need to leave around 2-2.15 to walk back to Fratton Park as unsure whether it'll be sit in your designated seats or where you like.
  • Options
    A visit to The Victory is a must.
    I visited it a few years back.
    There's a brass plaque on the deck which reads "Nelson fell here"....I'm not surprised, I tripped over it myself.
  • Options
    I'm going to the match while my wife will be shopping in Gun Wharf Quays.

I can cover that expense it's three points I can't.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I have been to this pub a few times in the past and I was told it shut down years ago.

This was a 657 boozer back in the day.
  • Options
    Looking forward to tomorrow! Not to chuffed about the thunderstorms predicted though!!
  • Options
    A visit to the Victory before the victory! Very apt!
  • Options

Shithole

Lets be honest Charlton/SE7 isnt exactly a n architects wet dream
  • Options

Looking forward to tomorrow! Not to chuffed about the thunderstorms predicted though!!

now disappeared on the BBC forecast but not so warm as round here!
  • Options
    Actually buzzing, been waiting for this all season, makes it 10x better it's a MASSIVE GAMEEE

CAFCCC
  • Options
    We’ve had our tickets for tomorrow from the get go though after last Saturday’s game the decision to buy them was looking a bit misguided. Tuesdays result turned that around, and then some...
  • Options
    redman said:

now disappeared on the BBC forecast but not so warm as round here!
    Showing thunderstorms Saturday evening at the moment

But disappointed in the temperatures, will definitely need a jacket!
  • Options
    Sorry if already mentioned, but where are most Charlton fans drinking?