Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Big away games that we actually won?

A lot of people have felt that we tend not to perform in front of big away attendances - but obviously we smashed it yesterday.

We all remember Operation Ewood, the FA Cup quarter-final at Sheffield Utd, every game at Millwall ever - they all went wrong.

But what away games have we taken loads to and actually got a decent result?

Comments

• edited April 2018
    Sheffield Wednesday 1-2 Charlton

Harriott
    Best
    Church

Stopped the Sheffield derby. Brilliant atmosphere that night.

But you're right, we generally nonce about for 90 minutes in the big games.
  • Newcastle 3 4 Charlton
  • Huddersfield 0 Charlton 1November 1980.

Had a few large away turnouts that season.
  • Addickted said:

Huddersfield 0 Charlton 1November 1980.

How big were our crowds though?
  • 77,739 against Sunderland. 98,215 against Burnley.
  • Sponsored links:

• Grimsby Friday night game '99.
  • Not on the same level as those mentioned above, but Bradford away earlier in the season felt like a really big win. I want to say they were just above us in the table going in to the game.
  • Addickted said:

Huddersfield 0 Charlton 1November 1980.

Was there that day...we got hammered and scored with our only chance, sure Phil Walker scored with a goal that came of his shoulder in about the 6oth minute, was about November time...Was a bit tasty afterwards...
  • It was a bit tasty before as well.
  • Play off final
  • Yes I went up on the Lewis coach for that one. We scored our goal up their end. The Cowshed. Leeds Road had a huge covered terrace along one side.

Wasnt this the result that put us top of the league for the 1st time that season?
  • Carlisle. Every time.
  • Sponsored links:

• Villa Park - a legendary, legendary trip with @razil @Clem_Snide @charlton_charlie & a revolving cast of hundreds that day. Nearly 20 years later I am still sobering up from that one...
  • Carlisle 3 times
  • Oakster said:

Villa Park - a legendary, legendary trip with @razil @Clem_Snide @charlton_charlie & a revolving cast of hundreds that day. Nearly 20 years later I am still sobering up from that one...

To be fair also...the Villa fans were great that day...not so previously when i visited the place with the mighty Gravesend and Northfleet.
  • Blackburn in the cup, Ipswich in the play offs and palace 1-0 twice
  • Not many mentioned were BIG games that we needed to win. I would only count the Ipswich play-off match & Villa Park (4-3). Most may have been big games or had a large(ish) support but none match yesterday for combining a must win game with a large& sold out away support, which were all singing in unison. I have been to many an away game over the past 40 years & can't think of any that had it all.
  • Leyton Orient late 70's. A draw meant we stayed up. Finished 0-0. How Gerry Queen missed that sitter in the last minute i will never know. Headed over from practically under the crossbar
  • Know it wasn't a win burt felt like it.
  • Similarly:
    1-1 v Chelsea, at Stamford Bridge, on 7th May 1988. (Nearly 30 years ago!)
    The draw that was effectively a win.
    The final league match of the season. They needed a win. We needed a point.
    A significant result for a brave and committed Charlton team, backed by a large Charlton support.

Very good call. I attended with a Chelsea mate and was stood to the left of the shed as you looked at the away end.
    Just remember our goal taking forever to cross the line. A hugely important day in our history.