Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Big away games that we actually won?

2»

Comments

• Options
    West Ham 1 Charlton 3 - Melrose 9 seconds
    Orient away when Solly scored - think we had around 3000 there
    Wimbledon 4 Charlton 5 - had over half the crowd
    Man Utd 0 Charlton 1 - Mark Stuart
    Sheffield Utd - Kermorgant’s first goal
  • Options

Sorry Clem, I don't consider any of them "big" games - not much riding on them, unlike Saturday.
  • Options
    Fulham away in the cup....early 80's we won 2-1.
  • Options
    Apologies if already mentioned, but 2011 away to Sheff Utd when we won 0-2 was pretty special albeit early in the season, we were both top two I believe and it was obvious both were going to be in with a shout come May.
  • Options

The palace we’ll never play you again game...

Yeah but not quite in the way we imagined it!
  • Options
    Don't think we had a big up crowd there but winning 2-1 at Fellows Park Walsall in the last match of the season to stay in the old division 2 above them on goal average in 1962/63 was a 'big' game we turned up to. A defeat or draw meant relegation to division 3.
  • Options
    1-0 at Oxford when Charlie Wright saved a penalty
  • Options

Jan 69 Palace 0-2 Treacy belter
    May 98 Ipswich 0-1 POSF
  • Options

Jan 69 Palace 0-2 Treacy belter
    May 98 Ipswich 0-1 POSF

Was going to mention that, cup replay, Charlton filled the Holmesdale, great night !!!
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Not to sure how many we took to Chelsea in the Carling Cup in 2005, but that was a big game we won. That was Mourinho's first season at Chelsea, where they won the league and FA Cup (correct me if i'm wrong). Also, Chelsea were the holders of the Carling Cup.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Not to sure how many we took to Chelsea in the Carling Cup in 2005, but that was a big game we won. That was Mourinho's first season at Chelsea, where they won the league and FA Cup (correct me if i'm wrong). Also, Chelsea were the holders of the Carling Cup when we knocked them out.

but Chelsea didn't really lose because it was on penalties
  • Options
    Did love the Coventry away 2-0 down after 20 minutes. Them singing "can we play you every week"

When we went 3-2. We sung it back. Classic!
  • Options
    So, probably 2 or 3 games in a 50 year period.

not good & why I particularly enjoyed sat afternoon.
  • Options

Sorry Clem, I don't consider any of them "big" games - not much riding on them, unlike Saturday.
    Dunno, that Sheffield United game was huge as kept our unbeaten start to the season going and was probably a sign of the season that we were about to have - We of course (in true Charlton fashion), then lost 2-0 to Stevenage two weeks later
  • Options

Similarly:
    1-1 v Chelsea, at Stamford Bridge, on 7th May 1988. (Nearly 30 years ago!)
    The draw that was effectively a win.
    The final league match of the season. They needed a win. We needed a point.
    A significant result for a brave and committed Charlton team, backed by a large Charlton support.

Still have no idea how I got out of there alive.
  • Options
    Villa3 Charlton4
    I went with my brother. Living in Birmingham at the time we ended up with the Villa fans, but fortunately not the Holte End. At the end of the game the Villa fan next to me shook my hand and hoped we that would stay up (we didn't). He also said we were the best team he had seen there all season. Probably an exaggeration, but I wasn't about to quibble.
  • Options

Similarly:
    A significant result for a brave and committed Charlton team, backed by a large Charlton support.

I was at that one, I can still remember Millers goal despite the fog in my head, great day!
  • Options
    I know it was a Home Game yet that win against Leeds with the Randolph save was huge.

Gonna be a very similar situation on Saturday
  • Options
    Not a big game, but seeing us win 6-0 at Oakwell was just superb.
  • Options
    1987 play-off against Leeds
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Millwall in the snow 0 - 2 Morts wow!
    Palace 0-2 as Glass half full says Tracey superb!
  • Options

Similarly:

Me too !
  • Options

Similarly:

7,000 I believe. I was in the middle at the back ......... was a great day out
  • Options
    Blackburn, midweek away in the Cup. 1-0 win with Pitcher scoring early on. That was a good night.
  • Options

Similarly:

Was a great day, with the visiting North Stand terrace absolutely packed. However, I would say that by and large, in the outside of the game activities, we came out on top that day.
  • Options

Dunno, that Sheffield United game was huge as kept our unbeaten start to the season going and was probably a sign of the season that we were about to have - We of course (in true Charlton fashion), then lost 2-0 to Stevenage two weeks later
    1st of October is not a crucial six-pointer. It was a great marker for the season though, I know where you are coming from.
  • Options

Similarly:

I know how we did it. We left the West Stand surrounded by neandertals, and putting on suitably glum faces. Got out to the Kings Road, jumped on an empty bus going south, checked the upper deck, and then let out a huge roar which we had held in for at least 10 minutes.

Of all the games mentioned, that was probably the most daunting, a big home crowd, one of their biggest hooligans owned the club, them having the stronger squad - Leaburn was just a teenager - and the ref bottling from the off. It was a day when every one of us, on and off the pitch, stood up to be counted.