Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Happy St George’s Day

Comments

• Options

Daggs said:

My St George's day scooter ride-out starts in 5minutes. Three Lambrettas (made in Italy, but fully restored here in England, by me) touring Kent, South of Maidstone. :)

It was the classic drive it day yesterday and saw a nice one (and a Vespa) while I was out.
    Being repaired by the roadside?
    No mate, thrumming along nicely between Otford and Eynsford.
  • Options

Will it be okay to remind the Irish that leprechauns don't really exist, St Patrick was a Brit and the founder of Guinness was against Irish home rule then, next March?

Used to love the Gravesham St George's Day procession, with different colours and cultures celebrating our Nation Day

Only if we can remind you that st george was from Palestine.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I'm sure I've heard about 20 convoluted theories about St George being from about 50 different countries, generally offered by those who wet themselves at the very thought of being patriotic on an English occasion
  • Options
    they do every feking year------ an their point is what ?
  • Options
    dmjn said:

Will it be okay to remind the Irish that leprechauns don't really exist, St Patrick was a Brit and the founder of Guinness was against Irish home rule then, next March?

Used to love the Gravesham St George's Day procession, with different colours and cultures celebrating our Nation Day

Only if we can remind you that st george was from Palestine.
    Think you'll find legend has it that it was Turkey babe and he was killed in Palestine, but tell me more on this breaking story...
  • Options
    cafctom said:

I'm sure I've heard about 20 convoluted theories about St George being from about 50 different countries, generally offered by those who wet themselves at the very thought of being patriotic on an English occasion

I really don't know what these people have against folk using a Saint from different cultures as their patron Saint mate, it's a mystery....
  • Options

Whatever makes you happy hun
  • Options
    Always gets quite a lot of coverage here as it is St Jordi's Day in Catalonia as he's also the patron saint there. It's a public holiday there and celebrated with a lot of pride, with the tradition to buy books for each other as a gift to mark the day.

Agree it should be a holiday in England as well - I think the UK must have fewer public holidays than other countries and as mainly 'bank holidays' they don't really mark anything in particular. Holidays are much more important when they recognise something special.

Happy St George's Day everyone!
  • Options

A nice lamb roast with mint sauce, seeing as you're arksin
  • Options

Always gets quite a lot of coverage here as it is St Jordi's Day in Catalonia as he's also the patron saint there. It's a public holiday there and celebrated with a lot of pride, with the tradition to buy books for each other as a gift to mark the day.

Agree it should be a holiday in England as well - I think the UK must have fewer public holidays than other countries and as mainly 'bank holidays' they don't really mark anything in particular. Holidays are much more important when they recognise something special.

Happy St George's Day everyone!

I know the Catalans love their football but surely naming their patron saint after the Barca manager’s son is probably taking it too far.

• Sponsored links:

• Options

Well i was answering, but I'm sure many will appreciate your little insight there
  • Options

Well i was answering, but I'm sure many will appreciate your little insight there
    Oh right, sorry to mess you around Candypants, it was more of a rhetorical question though, as I would only go on a St Patrick's Day thread, to wish people a good day, if at all.
  • Options
    cafctom said:

He was actually from Penge but who'd want to admit to that?
  • Options

Oh right, sorry to mess you around Candypants, it was more of a rhetorical question though, as I would only go on a St Patrick's Day thread, to wish people a good day, if at all.
    I agree. It's so weird to drag up random countries when a thread is clearly for wishing others a very good day
  • Options

I agree. It's so weird to drag up random countries when a thread is clearly for wishing others a very good day
    Amen
  • Options

Happy St George's Day everyone from behind enemy lines -

There are 2 people in this world, you've got the English and then you've got those who want to be English.

I make 'the English' and 'those' add up to more than two.
    In another world there are plenty who accept the pure accident of their birth with good grace.
  • Options

There are 2 people in this world, you've got the English and then you've got those who want to be English.

For the record, the last bit of the post was just a joke and was a twist on what an IRISHMAN said to a while back regarding the Irish, when everyone in the bar, English, Indian and Irish all laughed together.

I didn't realise it would resonate so much on here...
  • Options
    Happy St George’s Day
  • Options
    seth plum said:

In another world there are plenty who accept the pure accident of their birth with good grace.
    But the values and principles by which a nation is run and perceived is nothing to do with accident.

England wasn't just mystically created with the culture it has overnight. And I for one am proud to be an Englishman who contributes to helping those values along the same way many other Englishman should.

What this country has achieved and what it stands for is bloody impressive for its size.

And that's no accident mate!
  • Options
    Frank Harper and Craig Fairbrass. Happy st George’s Day you muggy c****
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Tinged with pride and sadness as always,why can we not just be allowed to celebrate without being classed as racists by some?
    Happy St Georges day everyone.

This is the sadness bit.
    Gone but not forgotten.
    Northern Ireland (1984) Neil Clark 24626154 Pte Neil Clark, 2nd Bn The Queen’s Regt Killed by a sniper’s bullet on Easter Monday, 23rd April 1984 when a joint RUC/C Company mobile patrol consisting of two vehicles was petrol bombed as the lead vehicle passed the Ardfoyle Estate in Londonderry. The vehicles were immediately abandoned and the seven occupants, all of whom had been burned, came under fire from IRA gunmen. Covered by the rioting crowd, the gunmen escaped. Six other members of the patrol were injured. Neil Clark’s home was at Railway Terrace, Margate. He was aged 19 and engaged to a Sandwich girl: arrangements had been made for their wedding in September of that same year.

Very fucking brave hiding behind a rioting crowd.
  • Options

For the record, the last bit of the post was just a joke and was a twist on what an IRISHMAN said to a while back regarding the Irish, when everyone in the bar, English, Indian and Irish all laughed together.

I didn't realise it would resonate so much on here...
    I liked it mate, knicked it for Facebook too!
  • Options
    OMG in new news shocker St George the patron saint of England is not from Anglo-Saxon, Celt, goth, visi-goth, Viking, Roman, Norman, American, Arab, Afro-carribean, African, carribean, Asian, Eurasian or any other grouping that people get uptight about.

We should have a day to celebrate England, I thought this was May Day, but I guess this has been lost.

When I was a kid, we still did maypoles at school, all a bit pagan maybe for today. Spring has sprung and that, time for procreation.

Whether it is St. George’s day, May Day or whatever it’s called, celebrating England should be more.
  • Options
    Couldn't agree more.
    In the Words of Menzi you don't have to be a flag waving Nazi to love it.
    England Oh England.
  • Options

Walked in woods filled with bluebells at lunchtime. Cycled over to Charlton this evening to see the Greenwich Morris Men dance at The White Swan. Supped a splendid pint of Porter (a good old-fashioned London drink).
    Bugger coalition McFake government. Bugger social media. Bugger factory farms and ecological abuse.
    Flowers and Folk dance win the day.

With Bells on.
  • Options
    Have taken time of work (when required) and celebrated the day with good friends for the last 14 years.

Had some good times at Trax in Bexleyheath and more recently the boats up the Thames.

Unfortunately I believe the main organisers behind the above ascodened to Benidorm again this year, so our smaller than usual group just did an afternoon/evening drinking in the Pantiles down Tun Wells which coincided with one of the pubs having happy hour and free amazing cheese and bread between 5pm and 7pm - lovely!!
  • Options
    cafctom said:

seth plum said:

But the values and principles by which a nation is run and perceived is nothing to do with accident.

England wasn't just mystically created with the culture it has overnight. And I for one am proud to be an Englishman who contributes to helping those values along the same way many other Englishman should.

What this country has achieved and what it stands for is bloody impressive for its size.

Is there any difference between 'English' values and principles and those of many other nations?
    You are right to say that a culture isn't created overnight, however for some of the things people admire that created the culture like Shakespeare, or the industrial revolution, there are also less admirable building blocks of Englishness like Slavery and the Daily Mail.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

cafctom said:

seth plum said:

Is there any difference between 'English' values and principles and those of many other nations?
    You are right to say that a culture isn't created overnight, however for some of the things people admire that created the culture like Shakespeare, or the industrial revolution, there are also less admirable building blocks of Englishness like Slavery and the Daily Mail.
    Can you tell us about any of these other countries that share the same values and principles as us?

Every country has its positives and negatives throughout history, it's unavoidable.
  • Options
    seth plum said:

cafctom said:

seth plum said:

Ok. So that doesn't mean we shouldn't celebrate the things that are great about this country. And despite what a lot of glass half full types will tell you, the positives definitely outweigh the negatives.