Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Ideal Scenario from tonights matches

Comments

• Options

Reckon Plymouth are imploding... they're gonna need maximum points from their next two games to force it to the final day

But then we need max points as well, don’t we?
    Depends on what Scunthorpe do too though

Plymouth and Charlton can only get 74 points at best

Scunthorpe can get 76-pts but that'll mean beating Plymouth which means they'd end on 71-pts
  • Options

Rochdale not winning tonight, i think means they can't be safe by the last game

They could win Saturday and go three points clear...

Oldham (currently in the relegation zone) would need a nine goal swing in that final game to over take them if they lost this Weekend
  • Options

cafc4life said:

Peterborough now can't catch us, Portsmouth need to win both games and hope we don't pick up anything so you can rule them both out.

Basically a 3 team shootout now. The fixture between Scunthorpe and Plymouth is massive . In my opinion , a Scunthorpe win is best for us. May mean we finish 6th but dents Plymouth don't it . A draw would also be good but ideally the less points Plymouth get the better as they are further away .

Don't rule out Bradford. Games against Southend, Walsall and Scunthorpe. Win all 3 and they go on to 70 points, 2 ahead of our current total
    Terrible goal difference though, anything that helps
  • Options

Reckon Plymouth are imploding... they're gonna need maximum points from their next two games to force it to the final day

Their next game is v Rotherham who have finished forth whatever happens so Rotherham could quite easily rest players and take it easy
    Rotherham won't want to take it easy, they could we'll meet Plymouth at some stage in the playoffs, they won't want to lose to then this week!
  • Options

Their next game is v Rotherham who have finished forth whatever happens so Rotherham could quite easily rest players and take it easy
    Rotherham won't want to take it easy, they could we'll meet Plymouth at some stage in the playoffs, they won't want to lose to then this week!
    Depends who Rotherham see as the more dangerous side to their Play-Off hopes... they've a terrible record against us and lost twice to us this season - We're not really the side they'd want to face
  • Options

cafc4life said:

Peterborough now can't catch us, Portsmouth need to win both games and hope we don't pick up anything so you can rule them both out.

Basically a 3 team shootout now. The fixture between Scunthorpe and Plymouth is massive . In my opinion , a Scunthorpe win is best for us. May mean we finish 6th but dents Plymouth don't it . A draw would also be good but ideally the less points Plymouth get the better as they are further away .

Don't rule out Bradford. Games against Southend, Walsall and Scunthorpe. Win all 3 and they go on to 70 points, 2 ahead of our current total
    No way will 70 points be enough for them. They also have a -8 goal difference.
  • Options

Surely it is more about players getting injured, picking up cards and resting more than pride at this stage. If I were the Rotherham manager I would want to go into the play offs at full strength and rested.
  • Options
    A work colleague is a lifelong Scunnie fan. He’s retiring in July and said to me at the start of the season that it’d be great to meet each other in the play-off final. Wished I’d put money on it, cos I reckon it’s now a distinct possibility.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I think we would definitely prefer Scunthorpe to win vs Plymouth, then we'd only need 1 win from our last two

If we win and Plymouth lose Saturday then we're good too
  • Options

Surely it is more about players getting injured, picking up cards and resting more than pride at this stage. If I were the Rotherham manager I would want to go into the play offs at full strength and rested.
    More important to go into the playoffs winning games.

Plymouth must be nackered. We were playing two games per week and it showed. So little recovery time for the little knocks to recover and it is a very big ask to win their last three games, especially against two teams in and around the playoffs and one against a team facing relegation.

We need to drag out as many supporters as possible for Saturday because if we win that we will be really close.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I think Plymouth to win would be my preference. Leaves us in 5th and 2 games each to win or lose.
  • Options

I think Plymouth to win would be my preference. Leaves us in 5th and 2 games each to win or lose.

My preference is that both lose Saturday, but the football Gods are never that good to us.
  • Options
    Redrobo said:

Plymouth must be nackered. We were playing two games per week and it showed. So little recovery time for the little knocks to recover and it is a very big ask to win their last three games, especially against two teams in and around the playoffs and one against a team facing relegation.

We need to drag out as many supporters as possible for Saturday because if we win that we will be really close.
    Rotherham may not have as much to play for, but will want to keep up their form going into the playoffs. A struggling and tense Plymouth team might be ideal for them...

MK Dons aren't relegated yet, and it's their last home match so will hopefully want to put on a good performance against Scunthorpe
  • Options
    Reckon Rotherham will beat Plymouth, MKDons will get a point v Scunthorpe and we will lose to Blackburn. If that happened then it would be ok for us. Bradford will slip up in one of their next 3 to knock them out.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    I reckon Portsmouth will win their last 2 games: 69 points (gd +4), Plymouth win, lose, win: 71 points (gd +6), Scunthorpe win all 3: 76 points, Bradford draw, win, lose: 65 points........which would mean that we need 3 more points to pip Plymouth to 6th place on goal difference. I think the main risk is possible reliance on winning at Rochdale AND avoidance of a heavy defeat to Blackburn (which would hurt our favourable goal difference)...or we can just go and thump Blackburn on Saturday and be done with it all! Time will tell but, one thing is for sure, it is also certainly going down to the wire. I am hoping that the appalling defeat against Scunthorpe doesn't prove to be the defining result of the season.
  • Options
    As someone mentioned on here yesterday, I could see a scenario where a draw against Rochdale see's both teams through
  • Options
    Would be lovely if we can win Saturday but it's going to be very difficult. I think we're going to go to Rochdale needing to win.
  • Options
    edited April 2018

I can't see this happening - managers know the value of going into the play offs with some momentum. I'm confident three points will be enough - will be good to get them on Saturday.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

Rotherham may not have as much to play for, but will want to keep up their form going into the playoffs. A struggling and tense Plymouth team might be ideal for them...

MK Dons aren't relegated yet, and it's their last home match so will hopefully want to put on a good performance against Scunthorpe
    MK Dons are relegated. 2 games remaining and they're 6 points adrift with a -25 goal difference. Not a hope in hell they'll survive.
  • Options
    Think we’ll draw both games.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I’m confident although I have a horrible sneaky feeling that the collapse against Scunthorpe will come back to haunt us. In reality, the damage will have been done much earlier in the season eg Oxford but that Scunthorpe game really felt like season over. Recovery since then has been as impressive as it was unexpected. Blackburn will be a different kettle of fish but they may well be half way to the beach so if good Charlton turn up I fancy us. 3 points may well be enough.
  • Options
    Really don’t know what to expect from Blackburn on Saturday. They won promotion last night, 2 games in 5 days, I’m sure most will have had a late night last night. On the other hand they’ve got good players, can still win the title, and will be playing without pressure.

We really need to turn up like we did against Pompey. I think Bowyer will have to get his tactics spot on. I’m sure there will have been plenty of video sessions this week.
  • Options
    Blackburn are top of the form table.
  • Options

Redrobo said:

MK Dons are relegated. 2 games remaining and they're 6 points adrift with a -25 goal difference. Not a hope in hell they'll survive.
    In reality yes, but the "R" isn't next to them yet on the table! It wouldn't surprise me if they really went for it on Saturday anyway, especially as it's caretaker manager Keith Millen's only home game in charge
  • Options
    Who is Blackburn manager?
  • Options
    edited April 2018

he doesn’t think his teams should be losing to teams like Charlton . That’s what he said a few years ago anyway.

Tony Mowbray.
  • Options
    If we turn up then it's certainly winnable.

Blackburn may have only lost once since October but amongst their last few away games:

Needed a late winner last night at Doncaster
    Drew at Bristol rovers and Gillingham
    Narrow wins at Walsall and MK Dons
    Got a late winner at Fleetwood
    Lost at Plymouth

Getting results and hard to beat but by no means destroying teams.
  • Options

he doesn’t think his teams should be losing to teams like Charlton . That’s what he said a few years ago anyway.

Tony Mowbray.
    and a few years ago he was right. he's said good things about us more recently
  • Options
    We seem to be better with no-one in charge at board level at all, than we have been for the past four years...

Just saying like. :wink:
  • Options

We seem to be better with no-one in charge at board level at all, than we have been for the past four years...

Just saying like. :wink:

She'll be bleating to everyone that will listen (I'm assuming she has put together a new band of sycophants in Sheffield) claiming credit for putting together this side that's challenging for the playoffs.