Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Worst food you ate in childhood?

Comments

• Options

School dinners -

Tapioca, semolina, the skin on custard, spam fritters and warm milk.

The thought of spam fritters makes me want to retch.....

Did anyone like semolina?
    Yep. Still have a tin now and then .
  • Options
    Pringle said:

Stuffed pig hearts
    Butterscotch Angel Delight

Butterscotch Angel Delight was yummy.
  • Options
    Don't knock Vesta curry, it was 60s aspirational exotic Eastern cuisine.

Can't think of any food I didn't like, but that was before frozen food, Vesta curry, and pizza had not yet been invented . Loved school dinners, spam fritters, liver and roast hearts included. Ate everything, but tapioca, had to have generous dollop of jam to make up for the jelly like frogs spawn texture.

Only food that wouldn't get past my lips was boiled tripe in milk.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Liver. The only food that's ever made me instantly sick. Never tried it again since.

A special mention for Gherkins. Yuk

I love liver and bacon - in a minority on this one.
    I'm with you - with mash, cabbage and thick onion gravy.
    Me too, and luckily the Mrs likes it.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Peperami, I remember was hideous.
    Don’t think it helped that I thought I was about to tuck into a new chocolate bar.

Remember burping Pepermi for weeks after. Never had it since.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Stewart said:

Peperami, I remember was hideous.
    Don’t think it helped that I thought I was about to tuck into a new chocolate bar.

Remember burping Pepermi for weeks after. Never had is since.

You've never burped since? - can't believe that.
  • Options
    My Mum used to make stuffed hearts.
  • Options
    Went on a school trip for a week in 1977-78 down to Butlins at Bognor Regis. Food was absolute jank from the 1st day until the last. Every meal the food was stone cold. It was so bad one evening all the kids decided to start throwing it around in the dining hall.

Even when we went out on a day trip they gave everyone a packed lunch in a plastic bag. I remember kids hiding them behind trees and in bushes just so they didn't have to eat them.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Don't knock Vesta curry, it was 60s aspirational exotic Eastern cuisine.

Can't think of any food I didn't like, but that was before frozen food, Vesta curry, and pizza had not yet been invented . Loved school dinners, spam fritters, liver and roast hearts included. Ate everything, but tapioca, had to have generous dollop of jam to make up for the jelly like frogs spawn texture.

Only food that wouldn't get past my lips was boiled tripe in milk.

I had to Google tapioca. I'm not sure how this could have been around in 60s yet pizza wasn't? It makes no sense.
  • Options
    Got on ok with all the school dinners and afters served up.
    Worst for me was first time I tried cockles and was violently sick as a 7 year old.
    Pains me to this day that now when the seafood bloke comes in the pub, mates tuck into vinegar and pepper soaked shellfish that I know I would probably love, but a mental block takes me back to the Perry Manns lookalike seafood man selling me a dodgy carton of cockles and I go without.
  • Options
    Hot pork pies
    Freeze dried vegetable soup
  • Options
    I loved Findus Crispy Pancakes and Butterscotch Angel Delight YUM!

As a child I hated tomato ketchup, but love it now.

Hate hate hate Marmite, even looking at a jar makes me feel sick.
  • Options
    Tripe, it really is tripe!
  • Options

Liver

Do you like liver now i.e. liver & bacon?
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Liver. The only food that's ever made me instantly sick. Never tried it again since.

A special mention for Gherkins. Yuk

I'm with you - with mash, cabbage and thick onion gravy.
    Had liver & bacon & mash on Tuesday evening but with runner beans, peas and carrots, and lashings of onion gravy.
  • Options
    Branston Pickle, vile stuff
  • Options
    Can’t believe people don’t like semolina. Lovely stuff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Liver

No mate. It’s sits firmly in the list of food I can’t even look at: Beetroot, Lamb and Prawns.
  • Options
    Food was very different in the 60s and 70s. The 70s was when processed food started coming in, until then you either ate food prepared in a canteen or cafe or by your mum at home. I never used to like apples, or anything with dessicated coconut, both things I do like now.

The only time we had pasta it was either out of a tin or macaroni pudding. There were loads of puddings that were basically stodge with milk - rice pudding, tapioca, semolina, bread and butter, macaroni.

I didn't have school dinners - went home in primary and took packed lunch in secondary. I remember my mum kept butter/marg in the fridge so I would get a slice of it in my sandwiches - didn't like that.

Wasn't keen on liver and boiled bacon, which was also the only time we had cabbage - usually it was greens.
  • Options
    Pilchard sandwiches, absolutely hated them but for some reason my mum thought I liked them, horrible smell as well iirc.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    Tripe. I remember my Father cooking it once. Steaming in in milk. Absolutely orrible. And dripping. My Granny used to tell me it would put a lining in my stomach. Unfortunately it also put a lining in my arteries and I’ve been paying the price ever since.
  • Options
    Home made macaroni cheese, with soggy overcooked macaroni.
    One mouthful was enough for me, but in a battle of wills it reappeared on my plate, reheated, the next 2 mealtimes.
    It went uneaten.
  • Options

Liver

No mate. It’s sits firmly in the list of food I can’t even look at: Beetroot, Lamb and Prawns.
    Beetroot, Lamb, Prawns & Liver................whats up with you, now I know you are a wrong un :smile:
  • Options
    Witchettey grub and Kangaroo penis, but then I was raised by the Leealowa tribe of the Northern Territory...
  • Options
    Gypsy tart you could not produce anything more vile, i was at school in the late ‘50’s early ‘60’s and if you didn’t eat the meal you got the cane, I had the cane every week for around 10 years.

Also I survived the winter of ‘62 / ‘63 which was one of the worst winter ever encountered in the UK. My mum started a soup on Boxing Day and we finally finished in mid March, it started as a chicken soup, went to a pigs head soup, then pig trotter went in, wild rabbit with pellets, some poor kids rabbit went in, in the end the scum on top was 1/2” thick of jelly / fat and was scooped off and put on top of bread with salt and pepper. There weren’t many vegetables as they were frozen in the ground. This 12 week meal was properly the worst ever, but occasionally it was the best.
  • Options

Not at all, I love all kinds of offal. Liver, hearts kidneys, lungs, tripe bring it on.
  • Options
    Bubble & squeak.

Still don't like it now.