Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Brechin City - An Example Of Loyalty (Or Madness)

2»

Comments

• Options

Played 36 Won 0 Drawn 4 Lost 32 For 20 Against 90 GD -70 Points 4

No English professional team has ever not won a game in a season and only Vale Of Leven in 1891-92 has "succeeded" in doing this. Despite offering cut-price tickets for their final game their attendance was just 661 - in the Scottish Championship too and this after they got promoted last season.

But no sackings at Brechin - the same man that took them up is still in charge to take them down too.

Just looked them up, they got 445 for one game, but they're not even the worst supported side in the division. Dumbarton got 392 for one game!
    And yet the Scottish leagues get about the same media coverage on a sat aftetnoon as League one, where the attandances often exceed 15k.
    They don't.
    They do to an extent... Soccer Saturday will still only read the scores from League One down (they do the same for thr Scottish Leagues).

Only difference is occasionally there will be one or two English games in L1 or L2 where there will be a bloke at the Stadium yet Jeff will still know about the likes of Rory McAllister (Peterhead) and will make a comment when he scores etc.
    127 football league games get live coverage compared to 8 (eight) in the SPFL. SPL only has 60 but let's not let facts get in the way of a good moan.
    Live Coverage isnt the same as Media Coverage though...

Granted that Scottish games arent shown as often as English but then where do you go for Welsh games?
    You can pick them up on SC4 with a choice of Welsh or English commentary!

I quite enjoy watching the occasional Welsh league game. TNS (The New Saints) are (or certainly were when on their Huddersfieldlike run) probably Conference or league 2 level. The others Conference South / Isthmian standard.
  • Options

No English professional team has ever not won a game in a season and only Vale Of Leven in 1891-92 has "succeeded" in doing this. Despite offering cut-price tickets for their final game their attendance was just 661 - in the Scottish Championship too and this after they got promoted last season.

But no sackings at Brechin - the same man that took them up is still in charge to take them down too.

Just looked them up, they got 445 for one game, but they're not even the worst supported side in the division. Dumbarton got 392 for one game!
    And yet the Scottish leagues get about the same media coverage on a sat aftetnoon as League one, where the attandances often exceed 15k.
    They don't.
    They do to an extent... Soccer Saturday will still only read the scores from League One down (they do the same for thr Scottish Leagues).

Only difference is occasionally there will be one or two English games in L1 or L2 where there will be a bloke at the Stadium yet Jeff will still know about the likes of Rory McAllister (Peterhead) and will make a comment when he scores etc.
    127 football league games get live coverage compared to 8 (eight) in the SPFL. SPL only has 60 but let's not let facts get in the way of a good moan.

Granted that Scottish games arent shown as often as English but then where do you go for Welsh games?
    :lol:

After using Soccer Saturday as a measuring stick!
  • Options

They don't.

:lol:

After using Soccer Saturday as a measuring stick!
    Yes because you see so many games on Soccer Saturday
  • Options
    Sorry @LenGlover I can’t offer much insight to Brechin’s travails. They rarely got wallopped, but if you let Dumbarton beat you 4 times then you’re a poor team!

They are a stable, well run club with a cracking wee ground (which sells delightful home-made soup :smiley: ) and considering the population is 7000 they could probably make a claim to being the best supported team in Britain.

Dumbarton look certain to be relegated via the play-offs and if they are replaced by Raith Rovers then that will mean top 2 leagues are all full-time teams and bottom 2 are all part-time.

The only glimmer of hope for the future is that some of the Junior League clubs (nothing to do with age just a traditional league structure run on regional lines) are now making noises about joining the professional pyramid, e.g. Kelty Hearts @Chippycafc and Clydebank) which may keep the diddy leagues interesting.
  • Options
    Kelty was 6 miles from where i lived and i used to work with guys who played for them, and also other junior sides... To be frank the junior sides were miles behind the league sides even the lowest league when i lived there.

Cowdenbeath signed the odd one or two but they did not last long before being shipped back.

• Options
    To get a real comparison the English and Scottish non league internationals were made up from teams from our national league today and teams from what is the scottish championship/first division.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    addickson said:

Sorry @LenGlover I can’t offer much insight to Brechin’s travails. They rarely got wallopped, but if you let Dumbarton beat you 4 times then you’re a poor team!

They are a stable, well run club with a cracking wee ground (which sells delightful home-made soup :smiley: ) and considering the population is 7000 they could probably make a claim to being the best supported team in Britain.

Dumbarton look certain to be relegated via the play-offs and if they are replaced by Raith Rovers then that will mean top 2 leagues are all full-time teams and bottom 2 are all part-time.

The only glimmer of hope for the future is that some of the Junior League clubs (nothing to do with age just a traditional league structure run on regional lines) are now making noises about joining the professional pyramid, e.g. Kelty Hearts @Chippycafc and Clydebank) which may keep the diddy leagues interesting.

The problem with Brechin is they finished 4th in a 10 team league, 10 points above relegated Peterhead but 12 below second place Alloa. They won the semi final on penalties and the final on away goals. As one of two semi professional teams in the championship they were doomed! As you said those two teams will be the ones to get relegated.

Gives us hope for the playoffs if nothing else! :smiley:
  • Options
    My Uncle supports Brechin City , I've seen them play (in league 2 at the time) it wasn't the best football! Met there chairman too and has a kick about on their pitch! Chairman told me don't call us were call you! Cheek coz I was playing for a best team an he's then! Anyway they done brilliantly to get to the championship but didn't win a game in it, I never fault it would happen after seeing them years ago !