Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Who wants to be a millionaire

124»

Comments

• Options
    edited September 2020
    That is exactly what I was thinking. It bothered me that a family member has been on it and won £250k. That in itself is no big deal, but after watching that drama 'Quiz' earlier this year it suggested these entries were a sort of scam and unfair on the honest applicants. 

I also recall that new Chase show where the chasers seemed to know of half the contestants. 
  • Options
    Well pleased I knew the answer to the million pound question  :)
  • Options
    That is exactly what I was thinking. It bothered me that a family member has been on it and won £250k. That in itself is no big deal, but after watching that drama 'Quiz' earlier this year it suggested these entries were a sort of scam and unfair on the honest applicants. 

I also recall that new Chase show where the chasers seemed to know of half the contestants. 
    I think there's a network of 'quizzers' who do tournaments and stuff off TV as much as on.

To be honest, if you were good and something and they kept offering thousands of pounds for doing it well on TV, wouldn't you keep trying to get on?
  • Options
    It was good tv ... not watched the program for ages but happened to fortunately switch to the channel when he was on 16k

Good luck to him, seemed to be a very nice bloke 
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I failed my Piracy ‘O’ level so didn’t know the answer to the million pound question.
  • Options

I think there's a network of 'quizzers' who do tournaments and stuff off TV as much as on.

To be honest, if you were good and something and they kept offering thousands of pounds for doing it well on TV, wouldn't you keep trying to get on?
    Yes, but the Quiz drama suggested there was something a bit more sinister than that behind it. Having said that, we don't know. It has given me cause to doubt the process though.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    There is another aspect to this and that is the coincidence between the million winning contestant just happening to be the final one of the series. 

As I've already said, good luck to him and his family. The fact that the questions fell so nicely for him and that there were none about music, sport or modern TV (a 58 year old is more than likely to know about Tom Baker was the Dr Who that wore a scarf and wide brimmed hat).

I have just taken a look at the registration process too and it seems that you register an interest and then, it appears, you are asked to supply a wider range of information. It is on the basis of that one would assume the contestant is selected - and one also assumes that there is a question relating to any members of the family that might have previously been on the show - it's a great story that his brother won £500,000 and could he do better?

I'm not suggesting that this was a fix. But the link between the brothers and that fact that three of the four big money questions were directly associated to the subjects that he taught at school may not be coincidental. 

The gain for the programme would have been publicity and additional advertising revenue.  ITV made it known in the last week that someone won the jackpot - would they have used this to re-negotiate the cost of such a time slot? The whole story also, of course, would have served to re-invigorate a show that possibly had falling viewing numbers.
    I am not one for conspiracy theories, but that seems completely plausible. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:
    There is another aspect to this and that is the coincidence between the million winning contestant just happening to be the final one of the series. 

As I've already said, good luck to him and his family. The fact that the questions fell so nicely for him and that there were none about music, sport or modern TV (a 58 year old is more than likely to know about Tom Baker was the Dr Who that wore a scarf and wide brimmed hat).

I have just taken a look at the registration process too and it seems that you register an interest and then, it appears, you are asked to supply a wider range of information. It is on the basis of that one would assume the contestant is selected - and one also assumes that there is a question relating to any members of the family that might have previously been on the show - it's a great story that his brother won £500,000 and could he do better?

I'm not suggesting that this was a fix. But the link between the brothers and that fact that three of the four big money questions were directly associated to the subjects that he taught at school may not be coincidental. 

The gain for the programme would have been publicity and additional advertising revenue.  ITV made it known in the last week that someone won the jackpot - would they have used this to re-negotiate the cost of such a time slot? The whole story also, of course, would have served to re-invigorate a show that possibly had falling viewing numbers.
    Could they have changed the order and out the winning sequence on last and not shown them in the order they filmed?
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

Could they have changed the order and out the winning sequence on last and not shown them in the order they filmed?
    The difficulty in doing that is the continuity - at least a couple of the 5 shows ended with a contestant still in the seat
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure they did change the order and showed the million pound winner in the last show to build up the effect. Considering the shows were probably recorded several weeks ago that's easy enough to do. 
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

The difficulty in doing that is the continuity - at least a couple of the 5 shows ended with a contestant still in the seat
    If I remember correctly there was no roll over contestant on the last episode. The guy that wanted the storm trooper outfit was a new contender.
  • Options
    Huskaris said:

If I remember correctly there was no roll over contestant on the last episode. The guy that wanted the storm trooper outfit was a new contender.
    That is, indeed, correct. These were the 5 programmes this week:

S33 Ep13 - New series
    S33 Ep 14 - Contestant returned on £32k
    S33 Ep 15 - Contestant returned on £32K
    S33 Ep 16 - Contestant returned on £16K
    S33 Ep 17- Brand new contestant followed by million winner

So there was no way of changing the order. Which either means that ITV were incredibly lucky to go out with a millionaire or they "managed" it so that their final contestant had every chance of landing the pot.

Even Donald, the millionaire, expressed his shock at how kindly the questions landed. The fact that the only lifeline he had to use was a 50/50 suggests that he is either a genius or very lucky or the cards were stacked heavily in his favour. 

Donald, of course, still had to get in the chair. We saw from the film about how the Major got onto the show how he practised faster finger first - I'm sure that, given Donald's brother had already been on the show, he would have done something similar. The question was geography based:

"Put these port cities in order from south to north"

We know was a strong suit of his given that he was well travelled and that his brother taught the subject buy, futhermore, he admitted that, as a child, he spent all his time studying the atlas! Whilst originally he had a 1/5 chance of getting in the hot seat, his chances increased dramatically to 50/50 when all bar one of the other contestants failed to get the order correct.

That said, his time of 4.86 seconds was only 0.19 quicker than the other one who was all correct. I wonder though whether these times are validated by an independent body? Equally, we don't know whether Christine Wilson from Derry, the other correct contestant, wasn't also an expert in geography and history.

But let's now go back to the very beginning of that show when five of the six contestants got the first fastest finger answer correct. Take a look at the question:

"Starting with the earliest, put these monarchs in order by their date of birth."

How fortunate that a history teacher got this as a fastest finger question! Unfortunately for him, he was 2nd fastest of the five that got it correct.

The more I look at this the more I believe that there was some conscious bias. Whether there should be an investigation is another question all together - any intended bias would be based on the applicant's registration form but, as I haven't seen this, I can't comment on how much detail this goes into.  

The one thing that I am certain of is that Donald was not party to this and whilst the playing field may not have been a level one, he should, of course, keep every penny of it.

• Options
    Huskaris said:

S33 Ep13 - New series

So there was no way of changing the order. Which either means that ITV were incredibly lucky to go out with a millionaire or they "managed" it so that their final contestant had every chance of landing the pot.

Even Donald, the millionaire, expressed his shock at how kindly the questions landed. The fact that the only lifeline he had to use was a 50/50 suggests that he is either a genius or very lucky or the cards were stacked heavily in his favour. 

Donald, of course, still had to get in the chair. We saw from the film about how the Major got onto the show how he practised faster finger first - I'm sure that, given Donald's brother had already been on the show, he would have done something similar. The question was geography based:

We know was a strong suit of his given that he was well travelled and that his brother taught the subject buy, futhermore, he admitted that, as a child, he spent all his time studying the atlas! Whilst originally he had a 1/5 chance of getting in the hot seat, his chances increased dramatically to 50/50 when all bar one of the other contestants failed to get the order correct.

That said, his time of 4.86 seconds was only 0.19 quicker than the other one who was all correct. I wonder though whether these times are validated by an independent body? Equally, we don't know whether Christine Wilson from Derry, the other correct contestant, wasn't also an expert in geography and history.

But let's now go back to the very beginning of that show when five of the six contestants got the first fastest finger answer correct. Take a look at the question:

"Starting with the earliest, put these monarchs in order by their date of birth."

How fortunate that a history teacher got this as a fastest finger question! Unfortunately for him, he was 2nd fastest of the five that got it correct.

The more I look at this the more I believe that there was some conscious bias. Whether there should be an investigation is another question all together - any intended bias would be based on the applicant's registration form but, as I haven't seen this, I can't comment on how much detail this goes into.  

The one thing that I am certain of is that Donald was not party to this and whilst the playing field may not have been a level one, he should, of course, keep every penny of it.

Have'nt seen this episode & hardly ever watch it now, but I did turn over midweek & caught 2 mins of another episode. Woman in the chair had a question about whi had a top selling album last year called (blah de blah de blah)and she had a 50/50 between Lewis Capaldi & someone else (you can see I wasnt really paying attention).

My point is I doubt whether the bloke who won the £1m would have known it. All looks very suspect to me & I'm assuming the programme is now more for effect than a serious quiz programme. 
  • Options
    The series of questions are set in advance of them knowing who is in the chair? 

What topics did the previous contestant get who beat him in the faster finger ? 
  • Options
    MrOneLung said:
    The series of questions are set in advance of them knowing who is in the chair? 

What topics did the previous contestant get who beat him in the faster finger ? 
    He only got to £32K. The £16K question was "Which of these Canadian provinces is on the Pacific Coast" and the £32k question was "Which of these is not the opening line of a Charles Dickens novel?"

Three of the four questions from £64K to £1m were about history or politics for the millionaire winner. We'll never know what the previous contestant would have had if he had carried on.
  • Options

There was a new version of The Chase on a few months ago where one person took on all the chasers. I was amazed how many had been on The Chase before and other quiz shows. There must be a pool of quizzers so they filter out the thickos. Not fair in my opinion.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Huskaris said:

S33 Ep13 - New series

Have'nt seen this episode & hardly ever watch it now, but I did turn over midweek & caught 2 mins of another episode. Woman in the chair had a question about whi had a top selling album last year called (blah de blah de blah)and she had a 50/50 between Lewis Capaldi & someone else (you can see I wasnt really paying attention).

My point is I doubt whether the bloke who won the £1m would have known it. All looks very suspect to me & I'm assuming the programme is now more for effect than a serious quiz programme. 
    Golfie being Golfie......well whadda ya know.
  • Options
    there's been 1 winner in 14 years. that hardly stinks of a rigged game
  • Options

There was a new version of The Chase on a few months ago where one person took on all the chasers. I was amazed how many had been on The Chase before and other quiz shows. There must be a pool of quizzers so they filter out the thickos. Not fair in my opinion.
    The contestants on that beat the chasers programme were almost definitely chosen from a very select pool of people, all of them were well known to the chasers and were clearly very comfortable in front of the tv cameras. Made it a bit difficult to watch
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Macronate said:
    I failed my Piracy ‘O’ level so didn’t know the answer to the million pound question.

You don't know how much a steak and kidney is in Jamaica?
    Or a chicken balti in bermuda?
  • Options
    rina said:
    there's been 1 winner in 14 years. that hardly stinks of a rigged game
    Actually I think it does the opposite. More that they wanted to create the publicity of someone finally winning. 
  • Options
    There was a bloke on a few nights ago called Gareth. Ive done some work for him in the past, nice guy,  and he's a serial game show player. Made a nice little earner and i remember him telling me ' i guess and blag mate, just apply and turn up'
    God knows how he got on Millionaire this week but well done to him i think he got another 32k in the bank.
  • Options
    Stop banging on. He won a million. Brilliant 
  • Options
    Curb_It said:
    Stop banging on. He won a million. Brilliant 
    Not banging on, 1st post i made on this thread and it was nothing to do with the winner just a general post under the titled thread.
    Who made you you banging on police😆