Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Options
    Laddick01 said:

dizzee said:

Laddick01 said:

France's 23 man squad NOT going is better than Englands going(apart from GK)

On paper you’d say that looks better but I doubt you’ve watched many of these players. Quite a few have had dreadful seasons

If that French 23 was English it’d be getting ripped apart for containing players on terrible form ffs
    A lot of them have not had bad seasons at all. Kondogbia has been brilliant along with Rabiot and many more.
    If Welbeck has performed like Martial he’d be in the reserves
    If Henderson had performed like bakoyoko there’d be outrage
    Benzema might play for the best team in the world but he’s nowhere near Kane’s level

England don’t have a great squad but it’s reached a point where our players are being unfairly judged because of the English stigma
    Really in the league
    Martial 9 in 30
    Welbeck 5 in 25
  • Options

Laddick01 said:

dizzee said:

Laddick01 said:

On paper you’d say that looks better but I doubt you’ve watched many of these players. Quite a few have had dreadful seasons

If that French 23 was English it’d be getting ripped apart for containing players on terrible form ffs
    A lot of them have not had bad seasons at all. Kondogbia has been brilliant along with Rabiot and many more.
    Benzema might play for the best team in the world but he’s nowhere near Kane’s level

England don’t have a great squad but it’s reached a point where our players are being unfairly judged because of the English stigma
    Really in the league
    Martial 9 in 30
    Welbeck 5 in 25
    Martial plays in front of Pogba, Matic and Mata
    Welbeck plays with Xhaka and Wilshere
    Either way 9 in 30 for a player who commanded a transfer fee of over €70 Euros is not a good return

• Options
    edited May 2018
    after predicting the result for every group game, this was what the groups ended up looking like. the photo attatched shows what all the round of 16 matches would be if i was correct

group a:
    uruguay
    egypt
    russia
    saudi arabia

group b:
    spain
    portugal
    morocco
    iran

group c:
    france
    denmark
    peru
    australia

group d:
    argentina
    nigeria
    iceland
    croatia

group e:
    brazil
    switzerland
    costa rica
    serbia

group f:
    germany
    mexico
    sweden
    korea

group g:
    belgium
    england
    tunisia
    panama

group h:
    colombia
    senegal
    poland
    japan
  • Options
    Almost the same as mine @JoshAddick - couple of changes here and there
    With the exception of Croatia. I've got them finishing top, not bottom.
  • Options
    bobmunro said:

Just pulled out Russia and Mexico in the sweep at work. FFS.

Wouldn’t worry about that too much. With what Platini has come out with today, I think you’re guaranteed that Russia will get to the final.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Almost the same as mine @JoshAddick - couple of changes here and there
    With the exception of Croatia. I've got them finishing top, not bottom.

that group was proper tight. no clue what will happen. think i had 6 draws
  • Options

The Danes are my dark horse of the tournament. Think they’ll get to the QF.

Quite fancy Egypt.
    Agree about Denmark....solid outfit with a world class player in Erickson.
  • Options
    Prediction:
    Group A: Russia, Uruguay, Egypt, Saudi Arabia
    B: Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Iran
    C: Denmark, France, Peru, Australia
    D: Croatia, Argentina, Iceland, Nigeria
    E: Brazil, Serbia, Switzerland, Costa Rica
    F: Germany, Sweden, Mexico, Korea
    G: England, Belgium, Tunisia, Panama
    H: Columbia, Poland, Senegal, Japan
  • Options

Why are you disappointed about Croatia's Group?

lol wasnt meant, but will leave it there as looks funny ...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
    A : Uruguay, Russia, Egypt, Saudi

B : Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Iran

C : France, Peru, Denmark, Australia

D : Argentina, Croatia, Iceland, Nigeria

E : Brazil, Costa Rica, Serbia, Switzerland

F : Mexico, Germany, Korea, Sweden,

G : Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

H : Poland, Senegal, Japan, Colombia

There's always a couple of slightly weird results so I've gone with Mexico to win Germany's group and Colombia to finish bottom of Group H.

Now I look back at this, those above results would mean one of England, Poland, Costa Rica or Mexico being in the semi final of the World Cup.

Uruguay v Portugal, Spain v Russia, France v Croatia, Argentina v Peru, Brazil v Germany, Mexico v Costa Rica, Belgium v Senegal, England v Poland
  • Options
    Uruguay and Egypt
    Spain and Iran
    France and Denmark
    Argentina and Croatia
    Brazil and Switzerland
    Germany and Mexico
    England and Belgium
    Colombia and Poland

• Options
    edited May 2018
    A : Uruguay, Egypt, Russia, Saudi Arabia

C : France, Denmark, Peru, Australia

D : Argentina, Croatia, Nigeria, Iceland

E : Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia, Costa Rica

F : Germany, Mexico, South Korea, Sweden,

H : Poland, Colombia, Japan, Senegal

Round of 16:
    Uruguay v Portugal
    Spain v Egypt
    France v Croatia
    Argentina v Denmark
    Brazil v Mexico
    Germany v Switzerland
    Belgium v Colombia
    Poland v England

Quarter-finals:
    France v Portugal
    Brazil v Belgium
    Spain v Argentina
    Germany v England

Semi-finals:
    France v Belgium
    Spain v Germany

Third-Place Play-Off:
    France v Germany

Final:
    Spain v Belgium

———————————————

Probably well off with some of those, including Brazil, Belgium, and Germany, but that is what I’ve put.

Can’t wait to be honest!
  • Options
    Any prediction comps for this coming up? just read the one from 2010 which was spread betting which was quite funny to look back.
  • Options
    I think @AFKABartram said something is planned. More info soon
  • Options
    Definitely dont see the Belgians doing well... they'll get to the Quarters like England and then crash out

No different to the England side that had Beckham | Cole | Lampard | Gerrard etc.
  • Options

Can see Portugual struggling.

Not exactly full of talent and can see that group finishing

Spain 9 points
    Portugual 4 points
    Iran 4 points
    Morocco 0 points

And it goes down to GD for 2nd

What makes you think they'll struggle?

With the likes of Ronaldo, Bernardo Silva and Andre silva, they'll have enough to get out of their group. Not sure their defence will be up to it against the better sides though, too many old boys. Pepe and Bruno Alves must be getting on for 40.
  • Options
    Pepe is only 35 - I think Portugal could struggle as depends which version shows up

Had it been the old format in Euro 2016, they wouldnt have got out of a Group of: Iceland | Hungary | Austria

I know we lost to Iceland ourselves yet to win none of those games is a worry.

If they do the same again at the World Cup (and end on three points), you'd expect Spain to beat Iran and Morocco regardless... that leaves Portugal needing Iran v Morocco to end in a draw else they're out and in embarrassing circumstances
  • Options

Definitely dont see the Belgians doing well... they'll get to the Quarters like England and then crash out

No different to the England side that had Beckham | Cole | Lampard | Gerrard etc.

Agree, quality team but don't think they'll get past the quarters. They aren't a team, a group of individuals, brilliant footballers but they never look like they are playing together. I'll be very surprised if they make the final myself.
  • Options
    Laddick01 said:

dizzee said:

Laddick01 said:

Really?!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Agree, quality team but don't think they'll get past the quarters. They aren't a team, a group of individuals, brilliant footballers but they never look like they are playing together. I'll be very surprised if they make the final myself.
    To get past the Quarters; Belgium will have to do the same as us (obviously as we're in the same Group)

They have to beat either Brazil or Germany, unless somehow, someone does it in the Second Round

Aint going to happen!!
  • Options

To get past the Quarters; Belgium will have to do the same as us (obviously as we're in the same Group)

They have to beat either Brazil or Germany, unless somehow, someone does it in the Second Round

Aint going to happen!!
    For either of us :'(
  • Options
    Nainggolan left out of the Belgian squad. Absolutely mental decision, even if he doesn't get on with Martinez.
  • Options
    PaddyP17 said:

Nainggolan left out of the Belgian squad. Absolutely mental decision, even if he doesn't get on with Martinez.

Thats insane. 10x the player of Witsel.
  • Options

Aint going to happen!!
    For either of us :'(
    Sadly not... Im confident we can hold them both to a draw yet we all know what'll eventually happen
  • Options
    Fellaini over nainngollan wow
  • Options
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44197670

No Morata in Spain's squad, but amazingly Marcos Alonso is left out whereas Monreal is included. Don't get that
  • Options
    A : Uruguay, Egypt, Russia, Saudi Arabia

C : France, Denmark, Peru, Australia

D : Argentina, Croatia, Nigeria, Iceland

E : Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia, Costa Rica

F : Germany, Mexico, South Korea, Sweden,

H : Poland, Colombia, Japan, Senegal