Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018

Just for fun here's a couple of England XI's that didn't make the final 23

Heaton
    Bertrand, Smalling, Keane, Sessegnon
    Lallana, Shelvey, Wilshire, Townsend,
    Walcott, Defoe

And another;

Hart
    Baines, Jagielka, Gomez, Clyne
    Milner, Rooney, Barkley, Ox-Chamberlain
    Carroll, Sturridge

Had to throw in a few injuries/recent retirees to make up the numbers for the second 11 there.

Doesn't really compare to Spain/France's left out players, but probably just as strong as who we have taken out there to be fair (Kane/Walker/Dele aside)

Lookman as well!

Jay Rodrigez and Ashley Barnes would be alternative strikers
    Cant really count Barnes as I dont know if he's declared his allegiance to England

He did play for Austria U20s a few years ago and think their officials were over here this season to keep an eye on him
    Austria want him.

But until he applies for an Austrian passport they cant call him up.

So I think its clear he doesnt want to play for them lol
    If he doesnt have an Austrian passport you have to ask how he played for their U20s...

I know he's eligible because his Grandmother is from Klagenfurt

Plus he said in 2017 that he wanted to play for them... http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/10/mn-burnley-striker-ashley-barnes-admits-desire-to-play-for-austr/
  • Options

Heaton
    Walcott, Defoe

And another;

Hart
    Carroll, Sturridge

Had to throw in a few injuries/recent retirees to make up the numbers for the second 11 there.

Doesn't really compare to Spain/France's left out players, but probably just as strong as who we have taken out there to be fair (Kane/Walker/Dele aside)

Lookman as well!

Cant really count Barnes as I dont know if he's declared his allegiance to England

He did play for Austria U20s a few years ago and think their officials were over here this season to keep an eye on him
    Austria want him.

If he doesnt have an Austrian passport you have to ask how he played for their U20s...

Plus he said in 2017 that he wanted to play for them... http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2017/03/10/mn-burnley-striker-ashley-barnes-admits-desire-to-play-for-austr/
    Aparently according to the below The 28-year-old qualifies for Austria through his grandmother but his previous appearance came under a permit granted by FIFA.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/33864/11288255/austria-unable-to-call-up-ashley-barnes-but-hope-burnley-striker-will-be-able-to-play-for-them
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Sage said:

Heaton
    Walcott, Defoe

And another;

Hart
    Carroll, Sturridge

Out of those 22 you mentioned, I’d probably consider 7 of them to be in contention to be England players in the immediate future. Shows how small the pool of England players we currently have that many others lack the quality to be represented on the international stage.

Those 7 being... Smalling, Gomez, Bertrand, Lallana, Shelvey, Wilshere, Oxlade-Chamberlain

Sessegnon will be an international player, Keane too with the right coaching. But the rest in my opinion are either passed it, injury prone, or just not good enough.

Ones you haven’t mentioned would be Lewis Cook and Tarkowski too, both had good seasons.
    To be honest I was basing the picks on previous international experience and players who have played or have the potential to play in champions league since I was sort of comparing to the players tweeted about in French and Spanish squads who had been left out - but my take is yeah the 7 you mentioned plus Sessengon would not have looked out of place in the squad going to Russia as is - i'd add Heaton to that list if he had not gotten injured and missed so much of the year and agree on your assessment of Keane too.

My take on some of the others; Think Barkley, Sturridge, Walcott still have something to offer England in the future, granted all three have had poor seasons (mainly injury) but all they need is a decent unbroken run in their respective sides and they are all right back in the frame for me - the ability is there and all three are game-changers on their day.

I'd say all the rest have played their last games for England at this point - although looking at the attacking options we have taken with us, Defoe and/or Carroll could have been a slightly different option that Southgate may regret not having if we are looking for a goal with 10 to go and only having Wellbeck or Rashford to call on - they aren't exactly the type you can lump it up to, or lethal enough of a finisher as Defoe to sniff out a chance by being in the right place at the right time. Time will tell on that one though.

I didn’t mention Heaton because I don’t ever see him being England’s number one, included in the squad yes for sure, but that is about it I feel.

Barkley is 24, going to be 25 this year, he needs to be playing regularly and getting to the peak of his game, I just can’t see that happening at Chelsea. A shame as he has talent but I don’t think we will ever see that come good enough.

Sturridge, we know can score goals and has something different about him, he scored against Wales in the Euro’s two years ago. But for him, it’s always going to be can he play 5 games in a row without picking up an injury. And for that it is going to cost him with younger players coming through like Rashford and Solanke.

Walcott I think is much better than people give him credit for. He has done well for Everton since January. However, I think his time for England is probably up with the direction that we seem to be going in both formation and tactically, he is never going to get in front of Sterling sand Lingard now, he isn’t really a striker and he can’t really convert into a full back/wing back like Young has managed to do so well.

If you look at the other nations, none of them have a big lump with no real technique, Carroll might add something different but I’d never include him in the squad, for me he isn’t good enough, technical enough and well, he couldn’t even get into a struggling West Ham team, he also has a bit of an attitude.

Defoe is old now, great lethal finisher but he will not ever play for the national side again. Vardy I think is probably the closest we have to Defoe in my opinion.
  • Options

Heaton
    Walcott, Defoe

And another;

Hart
    Carroll, Sturridge

Lookman as well!

Austria want him.

Aparently according to the below The 28-year-old qualifies for Austria through his grandmother but his previous appearance came under a permit granted by FIFA.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/33864/11288255/austria-unable-to-call-up-ashley-barnes-but-hope-burnley-striker-will-be-able-to-play-for-them
    All cos he once ate a Viennese biscuit in 1997.
  • Options

JaShea99 said:

I don’t understand all the comments saying ‘First time in ages there’s no expectations from England’. I’ve felt like that for years. 2006 was probably the last time I thought we had a real chance. And even that was immature naivety.

We had a decent side in 2006, and in a way it was the "golden opportunity" with Spain not yet at their amazing peak and the other teams beatable. Italy were pretty mediocre winners really.

Other than Robinson in goal, the team that lost to Portugal on penalties (after Rooney was sent off) looks a very good side, especially when you look at some of the players picked since them. In 2005 Lampard and Gerrard were runners up to Ronaldinho in the Ballon D'Or, that's a sign of how good they were.

Robinson
    G Neville
    Ferdinand
    Terry
    A Cole
    Beckham
    Gerrard
    Hargreaves
    Lampard
    J Cole
    Rooney
    Individual ability wise, one of the best sides we have had and will have for many years.

Such a shame we didn’t achieve or progress further with those players.
  • Options

Gabriel Marcotti in The Times the other day wrote that Argentina have so many quality forwards to pick from that Aguero may not make their squad. A guy at Boca Juniors has apparently scored 30 in 33 games and whilst their domestic league may not match the Premiership he'd get the 'popular' vote if it came down to a choice between those two for a final spot.

Meanwhile we pray that Harry Kane remains fit and in top form.

Ha! and as soon as I post that Aguero is named in their squad..still an embarrassment of riches to what we have.
    That's their provisional squad, so he could still be left out of the 23.

I read before that Icardi is likely to get the chop, mainly because he had an affair with the wife of Maxi Lopez, and although she's now married to Icardi, Messi who is good mates with Maxi hasn't forgiven him. So whether Messi let's Icardi into the group probably depends on his selection. Pretty much the reason why icardi only has only 4 caps at the age of 25
    And lo and behold, Icardi doesn't make the final squad!
  • Options
    Harry Kane, named England captain
  • Options
    Fair enough... Probably our only guaranteed starter for every game if fit
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

As long as he isn't taking the corners again lol
  • Options
    Sage said:

Harry Kane, named England captain

Same, plus it's pretty irrelevant in football anyway.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Daddy_Pig said:
    I thought that.

The best BBC intro/advert was for Euro 2004 with the moving paintings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcZ7wRah2Wg
  • Options
    Tunisia could be a tough game if they are well organised.
  • Options
    Daddy_Pig said:
    I thought it was OK. Nothing amazing but ok.
  • Options
    This is very good for doing predictions or for just tracking the games/teams etc.

It auto-completes the scores/points when you've typed in the scores and when all the games are complete it will match the teams against each other for the round of 16. You can select your favourite team as well on the first tab so that their games pop up.
  • Options

This is very good for doing predictions or for just tracking the games/teams etc.

It auto-completes the scores/points when you've typed in the scores and when all the games are complete it will match the teams against each other for the round of 16. You can select your favourite team as well on the first tab so that their games pop up.

Thanks i have filled in got Germany to beat Brazil in final, England lose out to Brazil in quarters. Sounds about right lol Spain to beat Portugal in 3rd place play off
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I think France will either crash out early or win the whole thing.
    Really depends on how they gel as a team.

My prediction:
    https://bracketchallenge.fifa.com/bracket/prediction/82d6161899bfdc5af409
  • Options

My prediction:

Or even go out halfway through... we got all angles covered?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    The England captain is now younger than me... still waiting for my call up. I'm available Gareth.
  • Options
    Javi Martinez has 18 caps for Spain despite making his debut in 2010. Some of that is injuries but his lack of involvement in a Spain team that's gone through a gradual transition remains an odd one to me. Perhaps because he's Basque and came through at Athletic where they play a more English style? And obviously Spain aren't want for talent, but it's still an odd one to me.

Also surprised Morata missed out. I don't think Costa fits their system, and he can be problematic to say the least. I know Spain like to take a forward who is "different," be it Aduriz in 2016 or Costa in 2014 or Negredo before that, but arguably, it never really works. I want to say none of "those types" of forwards have scored for Spain since maybe Dani Guiza, though there's an argument to be made that Torres never really fit the system either.

Also, I think it's an unspoken thing that Marcos Alonso doesn't get in Spain squads regularly because he killed someone. Might be wrong on that, but I seem to remember Sid Lowe insinuating it at some point.
  • Options

My prediction:

I feel like this applies to every France squad ever.

And yet is also a completely correct assessment in my mind.
  • Options
    Argentina goalkeeper Sergio Romero has been ruled out of the World Cup with a knee injury.

The 31-year-old Manchester United player has won 94 caps for the country and played in the 2014 World Cup final defeat by Germany.

Chelsea's Willy Caballero, with two caps, and River Plate's Franco Armani, who is uncapped, are Argentina's reserve goalkeepers.
  • Options

Argentina goalkeeper Sergio Romero has been ruled out of the World Cup with a knee injury.

The 31-year-old Manchester United player has won 94 caps for the country and played in the 2014 World Cup final defeat by Germany.

Chelsea's Willy Caballero, with two caps, and River Plate's Franco Armani, who is uncapped, are Argentina's reserve goalkeepers.

Shame as I think he’s a brilliant keeper.
  • Options

Daddy_Pig said:
    I thought that.

The best BBC intro/advert was for Euro 2004 with the moving paintings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcZ7wRah2Wg
    ITV's advert for the euro 2016 was pretty good...

• Options
    Nothing will beat the '98 World Cup
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mqYCxC9LHus
  • Options
    not an opening sequence... Terry is certainly no Elvis but I did like this ad by the sun. 2010 world cup...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9gXK3uPAec
  • Options
    1990 World Cup. Not for the title sequence, but for the music chosen by the BBC

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqzz7B7V2IE