Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Auckland council has told us that we need to turn this into an event, if we want an alcohol license running until 6am.
    Table tennis, meatballs, football, pub quiz - what's not to like? Hopefully, they’ll grant the license… (still waiting for approval).
    Sore heads on Sunday morning though. Bring it on!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Poor team selection for the world XI.

Would have Alisson or Ederson over Navas, not sure about Fagner and definitely Salah on the right wing instead of Suarez.

Yes, put Suarez up top, Salah on the left and move Neymar to the right
    Why would you play a left winger, Neymar, on the right, and a right winger, Salah, on the left?
    It's called being unpredictable!

In practice all 3 attacking midfielders would go where they fancy anyway
  • Options

colthe3rd said:

I don't suppose anyone on here wants or knows someone who wants 2 tickets to England v Panama?

Aren’t they (actually) making it very difficult to get in on a ticket that you didn’t originally buy at this tournament.

I’ve done several tournaments and the usual such claims have always been known to be bollocks (I was an Arab according to my ticket for Eng v Equ in 2006) but I’ve just got a feeling this one will be different and wouldn’t want to risk that journey if thier is any doubt in getting in.

Hope you shift it but we didn’t even sell out our meagre allocation for this one, such is the absence of any interest.
    Well you need a fan ID to get into the stadium (it also doubles as your visa). Whether they'll actually check against the ticket I'm highly doubtful. Also given me and my mate got 4 tickets for the match, 2 each with our names on shows what shit processes they have in place.

I'm probably going to end up selling them back to fifa (obviously after they take another cut for themselves) but the resale process is an absolute joke.
  • Options
    Danepak said:

Auckland council has told us that we need to turn this into an event, if we want an alcohol license running until 6am.
    Table tennis, meatballs, football, pub quiz - what's not to like? Hopefully, they’ll grant the license… (still waiting for approval).
    Sore heads on Sunday morning though. Bring it on!

Sounds like carnage!
  • Options
    Feeling excited now!
  • Options

Already got three ex-Charlton Players at the World Cup with Gudmundsson | Gislasson | Reza all picked

If Pope and Shelvey go, could this be the most we've seen Charlton "represented" at the World Cup?

We had eleven former, current and future Charlton players at the 2002 one.
  • Options

Hart out and Pope in the Eng squad it seems

I’d be surprised if that was the case .
  • Options

Really struggling to muster the enthusiasm to the point of apathy but no doubt I'll get right into when it starts and feel really disappointed when it's all over too quickly just as I had begun to enjoy it.

A lot like married sex in this respect.

"Married" and "sex" in the same sentence? Confused.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    DanDavis said:

Has the 3rd choice goalkeeper ever needed to be used?

Germany had their No. 3 in goal in '66 so I'd say yes.
  • Options
    A : Uruguay, Egypt, Russia, Saudi Arabia

B : Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Iran

C : France, Denmark, Peru, Australia

D : Argentina, Croatia, Nigeria, Iceland

E : Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia, Costa Rica

F : Germany, Mexico, South Korea, Sweden

G : Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

H : Poland, Colombia, Japan, Senegal
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

A : Uruguay, Egypt, Russia, Saudi Arabia

B : Spain, Portugal, Morocco, Iran

C : France, Denmark, Peru, Australia

D : Argentina, Croatia, Nigeria, Iceland

E : Brazil, Switzerland, Serbia, Costa Rica

F : Germany, Mexico, South Korea, Sweden

G : Belgium, England, Tunisia, Panama

H : Poland, Colombia, Japan, Senegal

Wow an underdog in all groups bar ours & France. bold prediction
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I reckon England will draw with Tunisia and beat Panama and Belgium. It is the way we roll! Portgual are a funny side but I can't see them not finishing top two in their group. Group D looks tight. Second place in F could be well contested and H is a hard one to call.
  • Options

DanDavis said:

Thats very interesting the article I copied from The Guardian on page 3 which is below never mentioned Germany.

Unless I am being Whoosee in which case I am tired to have an excuse

DanDavis said:

From The Guardian

The need to use several goalkeepers is rare – in 1990 the 24 teams used a total of 27 keepers, while as recently as 1998 the 32 sides in France used a combined 36. In all, only four teams have ever used three goalkeepers in a single World Cup tournament. That's out of 371 teams to have qualified for the finals – surely time for Fifa to change the rules.

First to use a trio of keepers were France in 1978. The No1 was Jean-Paul Bertrand-Demanes who played in Les Bleus' opening game against Italy. In the second group game against Argentina, Bertrand-Demanes smashed either his back or head (it varies between reports) on a post after pulling off a save and had to be replaced by Dominique Baratelli, a 31-year-old who had made sporadic appearances since 1969. He conceded the winning goal against Argentina and was replaced for France's final group game by Dominique Dropsy. The game against Hungary was Dropsy's debut and he would go on to win another 16 caps. Neither Baratelli nor Bertrand-Demanes would ever play for the national side again.

Belgium went into the 1982 tournament with the eccentric (he served a three-month ban in 1980 after elbowing a linesman in a Belgian Cup match) but hugely talented Jean-Marie Pfaff as their first choice. Pfaff had been welcomed, somewhat apprehensively, back to the fold after missing the 1978 European Championships because of his practical joking, but he couldn't keep his inner comedian under wraps. He was dropped following the first group stage after apparently pretending to drown in the swimming pool at the team hotel. His replacement in Belgium's opening game in the second group stage was Theo Custers, whose performance against Poland was so abject it was his last ("Custers's last stand," notes the World Cup historian Cris Freddi). For the Belgian's final game Jacky Munaron took the gloves.

Also in 1982, Czechoslovakia used three keepers. Zdenek Hruska played from start to finish against Kuwait, but Stanislav Seman was preferred for the Czech's game against England. A calamitous performance – it would be his last for the national side – lasted 75 minutes before he broke a finger and was replaced by third-choice Karel Stromsik, who kept the No1 spot for the final group game.

The most recent team to use three goalkeepers in a single tournament were the hapless Greece side of 1994. The Greeks had gone undefeated through qualifying and named the experienced Antonis Minou, who had conceded only twice in five qualifiers, as No1 for the opening game against Argentina. A 4-0 defeat saw 25-year-old AEK keeper Elias Atmatsidis in goal against Bulgaria. Another 4-0 defeat followed and he was replaced by 24-year-old Christos Karkamanis for the final group game. That brought a slight improvement in fortunes – a 2-0 defeat to Nigeria.
  • Options

DanDavis said:

Thats very interesting the article I copied from The Guardian on page 3 which is below never mentioned Germany.

Unless I am being Whoosee in which case I am tired to have an excuse

DanDavis said:

From The Guardian

The need to use several goalkeepers is rare – in 1990 the 24 teams used a total of 27 keepers, while as recently as 1998 the 32 sides in France used a combined 36. In all, only four teams have ever used three goalkeepers in a single World Cup tournament. That's out of 371 teams to have qualified for the finals – surely time for Fifa to change the rules.

First to use a trio of keepers were France in 1978. The No1 was Jean-Paul Bertrand-Demanes who played in Les Bleus' opening game against Italy. In the second group game against Argentina, Bertrand-Demanes smashed either his back or head (it varies between reports) on a post after pulling off a save and had to be replaced by Dominique Baratelli, a 31-year-old who had made sporadic appearances since 1969. He conceded the winning goal against Argentina and was replaced for France's final group game by Dominique Dropsy. The game against Hungary was Dropsy's debut and he would go on to win another 16 caps. Neither Baratelli nor Bertrand-Demanes would ever play for the national side again.

Belgium went into the 1982 tournament with the eccentric (he served a three-month ban in 1980 after elbowing a linesman in a Belgian Cup match) but hugely talented Jean-Marie Pfaff as their first choice. Pfaff had been welcomed, somewhat apprehensively, back to the fold after missing the 1978 European Championships because of his practical joking, but he couldn't keep his inner comedian under wraps. He was dropped following the first group stage after apparently pretending to drown in the swimming pool at the team hotel. His replacement in Belgium's opening game in the second group stage was Theo Custers, whose performance against Poland was so abject it was his last ("Custers's last stand," notes the World Cup historian Cris Freddi). For the Belgian's final game Jacky Munaron took the gloves.

Also in 1982, Czechoslovakia used three keepers. Zdenek Hruska played from start to finish against Kuwait, but Stanislav Seman was preferred for the Czech's game against England. A calamitous performance – it would be his last for the national side – lasted 75 minutes before he broke a finger and was replaced by third-choice Karel Stromsik, who kept the No1 spot for the final group game.

The most recent team to use three goalkeepers in a single tournament were the hapless Greece side of 1994. The Greeks had gone undefeated through qualifying and named the experienced Antonis Minou, who had conceded only twice in five qualifiers, as No1 for the opening game against Argentina. A 4-0 defeat saw 25-year-old AEK keeper Elias Atmatsidis in goal against Bulgaria. Another 4-0 defeat followed and he was replaced by 24-year-old Christos Karkamanis for the final group game. That brought a slight improvement in fortunes – a 2-0 defeat to Nigeria.
    Ah, those Belgians....
  • Options
    Dont know if its already been mentioned but without any question the Nigeria kit is going to be the best at this World Cup - Quite surprised that its Nike who made it for them, I'd have expected something plain and green from them!!
  • Options

Dont know if its already been mentioned but without any question the Nigeria kit is going to be the best at this World Cup - Quite surprised that its Nike who made it for them, I'd have expected something plain and green from them!!

• Options
    Germany Home Kit for the World Cup is better than their Away one...

• Options
    Nigeria kit is horrendous.

Croatia away and Belgium away are the best.
  • Options

• Options
    edited May 2018
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/world-cup-2018/6199748/world-cup-2018-kit-ranked-england-russia-belgium-nigeria/

Nigeria is voted the best as well but I also like the Germany away, *Denmark, Senegal and Uruguay.

*just realised they wont be playing in that patch work masterpiece, it was just a limited edition. another FA who don't know what they are doing.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited May 2018
  • Options
    I actually quite like an England kit for once - the away one.

My other favourites:

Argentina away:

Costa Rica home:

Panama away:

• Options
    Nigeria’s kit is by far and away the best of the lot.
  • Options
    Really like the look of the collar on the Panama kit
  • Options
    I like the retro Adidas kits this year
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Quite like Peru's one, bit different at least.
  • Options

Quite like Peru's one, bit different at least.

Yeah Peru's is decent.
  • Options
    Yeah Nigeria definitely wins the kit world cup
  • Options

Nigeria kit is horrendous.

Croatia away and Belgium away are the best.

Nigeria kit is great.

Croatia's looks like a blanket and Belgium's is a horrible yellow.
  • Options
    Also i'm sure it can't be true but there are reports online that Nike received just over 3 MILLION pre-orders for the Nigeria shirt.