Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Not forgetting something the BBC does incredibly well, which is the "England have lost and are out" montage of their tournament. I love the way the lyrics "about to lose my mind" tie in with Rooney's red card in 2006...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZByrHy7nrE
  • Options
    Argentina 78

great music.
  • Options

Dont know how anyone cant get excited for the World Cup, regardless of how shite England are or how many they've seen before.

Many people will be lucky to see 18 world cups, gotta make the most of them.

22 Days to go.

Well as we know there are plenty of people on this forum who don't like football.

The World Cup really is a beautiful thing regardless of how corporate or how many bungs FIFA take. Every summer is made better by one of the major tournaments regardless of how England do.
  • Options
    Love the World Cup... 64-games over a month of Football with only a handful of days with nothing how can you not like that

Its frustrating how England seem to fail yet love seeing Nations you dont often get to see play so will be keeping an eye out for the Panama and Peru games to watch on TV especially
  • Options

Love the World Cup... 64-games over a month of Football with only a handful of days with nothing how can you not like that

Its frustrating how England seem to fail yet love seeing Nations you dont often get to see play so will be keeping an eye out for the Panama and Peru games to watch on TV especially

It's funny how you get into the routine of watching matches all the time. When you get to the QF stage, it seems strange to have a day, even TWO days without any football to watch :smile:
  • Options
    love the world cup (which would still exist whether FIFA does or doesn't) just the thought of sitting in some pub getting excited over say, some random South American nation taking on a Scandinavian side. its brilliant.

I know there was some talk about the last couple of world cups where people felt the group stage wasn't as good as it used to be. I have to disagree. the group stage has always been fun to watch. (apart from England) the latter stages have been more of a let down imo.
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Dont know how anyone cant get excited for the World Cup, regardless of how shite England are or how many they've seen before.

22 Days to go.

True, one of the world cups i remember most was 94 that we weren't even at. Bebeto and Romario a deadly double act, Bulgaria delightfully knocking out Germany, Maradona scoring and then being sent home in disgrace and John Aldridge losing his shit at an official!

EDIT: Fucking boring final though.
  • Options
    I never should have opened this thread because now I'm really excited and I've got to wait like two and a half weeks.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I cant wait , the first saturday theres 4 games on from 11am . perfect timing for when the pub opens
  • Options
    What else is there to do in June/July?
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Thursday 14th
    Russia v Saudi Arabia 4pm

Friday 15th
    Uruguay v Egypt 1pm
    Morocco v Iran 4pm
    Spain v Portugal 7pm

Saturday 16th
    France v Australia 11am
    Argentina v Iceland 2pm
    Peru v Denmark 5pm
    Croatia v Nigeria 8pm

Sunday 17th
    Costa Rica v Serbia 1pm
    Germany v Mexico 4pm
    Brazil v Switzerland 7pm

Monday 18th
    Sweden v South Korea 1pm
    Belgium v Panama 4pm
    England v Tunisia 7pm
  • Options
    Got that whole first week off from the 14th...
  • Options

Thursday 14th
    Russia v Saudi Arabia 4pm

Friday 15th
    Uruguay v Egypt 1pm
    Morocco v Iran 4pm
    Spain v Portugal 7pm

Saturday 16th
    France v Australia 11am
    Argentina v Iceland 2pm
    Peru v Denmark 5pm
    Croatia v Nigeria 8pm

Sunday 17th
    Costa Rica v Serbia 1pm
    Germany v Mexico 4pm
    Brazil v Switzerland 7pm

Monday 18th
    Sweden v South Korea 1pm
    Belgium v Panama 4pm
    England v Tunisia 7pm

A dull first game, but then Suarez vs Salah and Spain vs Portgual on the second day.

And most importantly of all, Reza playing for Iran. I'm waiting for the "former Charlton striker" line to be said on the commentary :smiley:
  • Options
    First week has some good games, Germany are probably the best side alongside Spain, but I wouldn’t rule Mexico out in that fixture
  • Options
    Shag said:

I cant wait , the first saturday theres 4 games on from 11am . perfect timing for when the pub opens

Perfect for a day drinking in Blackpool, there for a pool tournament Thursday - Sunday so will add to the atmosphere that will be there anyway. Cant wait!
  • Options
    edited May 2018

22 Days to go.

True, one of the world cups i remember most was 94 that we weren't even at. Bebeto and Romario a deadly double act, Bulgaria delightfully knocking out Germany, Maradona scoring and then being sent home in disgrace and John Aldridge losing his shit at an official!

EDIT: Fucking boring final though.
    And one sided Semi Finals. Poor one for me.

Loved 2002, was on shift work in a bar so weird times suited, we did ok, Korea and Japan looked cool.

Also one sided Semi Finals though, thinking about it.

France 98 had some top games.
  • Options
    I don't suppose anyone on here wants or knows someone who wants 2 tickets to England v Panama?
  • Options

Not forgetting something the BBC does incredibly well, which is the "England have lost and are out" montage of their tournament. I love the way the lyrics "about to lose my mind" tie in with Rooney's red card in 2006...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZByrHy7nrE

Those were two really good England kits, especially the away one
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Yes, looking like Germany or Brazil in the quarters for us.
  • Options

Yes, looking like Germany or Brazil in the quarters for us.

Would rather play Germany after looking at that friendly we played against Brazil.
  • Options
    Would rather play neither lol
  • Options
    colthe3rd said:

I don't suppose anyone on here wants or knows someone who wants 2 tickets to England v Panama?

Aren’t they (actually) making it very difficult to get in on a ticket that you didn’t originally buy at this tournament.

I’ve done several tournaments and the usual such claims have always been known to be bollocks (I was an Arab according to my ticket for Eng v Equ in 2006) but I’ve just got a feeling this one will be different and wouldn’t want to risk that journey if thier is any doubt in getting in.

Hope you shift it but we didn’t even sell out our meagre allocation for this one, such is the absence of any interest.
  • Options
    Would go for the European team
  • Options

Poor team selection for the world XI.

Would have Alisson or Ederson over Navas, not sure about Fagner and definitely Salah on the right wing instead of Suarez.

Yes, put Suarez up top, Salah on the left and move Neymar to the right
  • Options

Would have Alisson or Ederson over Navas, not sure about Fagner and definitely Salah on the right wing instead of Suarez.

Why would you play a left winger, Neymar, on the right, and a right winger, Salah, on the left?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:

Why would you play a left winger, Neymar, on the right, and a right winger, Salah, on the left?
    Because he is a rebel