Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• Lookman should have gone.

Welbeck certainly isnt the answer to anything in my opinion

Dont know if Lookman would have been that something different if we needed a goal either though

Welbeck certainly isnt the answer to anything in my opinion

Dont know if Lookman would have been that something different if we needed a goal either though
    Five goals and four assists in 11 appearances in the Bundesliga, not counting his Everton Europa League appearances earlier in the season.
  • Glenn Murray, heard it all now

Only Kane | Sterling | Vardy scored more goals than him this season...
    To be fair he's had a decent season, but 1/3 of his goals are penalties and his complete lack of pace means i'd have about 10 other strikers ahead of him in the squad.
  • Don't underestimate welbeck
  • Its not just where he fits in yet his injury record that worries me

He's been involved a lot more this year yet for the last few years has struggled to get more than 20-games in a season

I know its only going to be seven games max to either win or come fourth in the World Cup yet to lose a few players to injury that 23-man squad is suddenly going to start looking rather small, its the same with Phil Jones
  • Just wondering whether Putin gets to make the VAR decisions?
  • "Let's attempt to make a big deal out of things that usually happen"
  • Sponsored links:

• Dave2l said:

"Let's attempt to make a big deal out of things that usually happen"
    And let's pretend like Germany couldn't field four semi-finals teams.
  • edited May 2018

I think one of the issues with England in the past, is that players like LeTissier and Hoddle were not the first names on the England team sheet. They were special players, but historically there is a mistrust about special players. I'm not saying there wasn't a challenge making the team work around them, but that should be the manager's starting point, not looking for Mr Reliable and building the team around him.

I think it's still an issue. He's not fit at the moment but Lallana has never been fully trusted by England. Proper footballer.
    Agreed, and when he has played he's been kind of shifted all over the pitch. Some of him not playing, to be fair, has been down to injury but he has the ability to have played a lot more for England than he has.

I don't put Shelvey in this category. I think with him it's more a case of what he does is better suited to the Premier League than the international game. I think Raheem Sterling has finally recovered from being cast in that role, despite the fact he's always been a very hard working player in addition to his technical ability. He is the type of player you look to build a team around to accommodate his ability, not look to shoehorn into a side. Hopefully after the season he's had that will start to happen now.

Next up for the mantle of talented but going to get overlooked by England is, for me, Dele Alli. To be fair, he is young and going through an inconsistent patch as Sterling did. And Alli still needs to work on parts of his game like tactical awareness and ability in tight spaces that are amplified in the international game. But I still feel like this summer it's going to be said at some point when he's playing for England "Oh, he's shit" instead of realizing he's 22 and still learning his trade and has a tremendous upside.
  • Its not just where he fits in yet his injury record that worries me

He's been involved a lot more this year yet for the last few years has struggled to get more than 20-games in a season

I know its only going to be seven games max to either win or come fourth in the World Cup yet to lose a few players to injury that 23-man squad is suddenly going to start looking rather small, its the same with Phil Jones

Yeah and of the three players who've had injury problems this season, Welbeck would be third on my "willing to take a gamble on" list behind Wilshere and Lallana.

That said, to be fair to him his record for England is very good. And I believe the last time he started for England, in the pre-Euros friendly against Germany, he was absolutely excellent.
  • edited May 2018
    @SDAddick - apologise quote was not working properly but Re: Ali

Have to disagree with alot there, also anyone who has says that Ali hasn't had a good season doesn't watch enough of him. I have watched Spurs alot this season, Ali has had a good season just statwise not as good as last season. Half the goals of last season 9 in 36 isn't too bad a return though and probably more assists.

What i like about Ali, is exactly what you have put. He has tonnes of ability and normally finds the space. Him and Lingard are very similar which is a shame as i would start both if they fit in, if not lingard would be dropped for Ali. Ali and Kane first ones on the team sheet for me and there is defo no spurs bias here.

I think he has the potential to be one of our stand out performers, but can also see fans getting on his back if he doesn't perform for one game or is in the background, we are a fickle bunch.
  • Thing with Ali is that at the moment I find him too inconsistent. He’s still young but when you’re playing in a central role for a top club and country, you have to try and control or st least have consistent effect on the game. It’s not like a winger where you may not see a lot of the ball for large spells of the game so can be forgiven.
  • Dele Ali certainly offers something different but whenever I watch him he always looks like he could be sent off at anytime.
  • Thing with Ali is that at the moment I find him too inconsistent. He’s still young but when you’re playing in a central role for a top club and country, you have to try and control or st least have consistent effect on the game. It’s not like a winger where you may not see a lot of the ball for large spells of the game so can be forgiven.

He isn't a central midfielder, he plays more CAM. His job is to find spaces to run into and often will pull players across to create gaps for the team. very similar to lingard, or sometimes plays on the left side but attacking. He isn't there to dominate the game, does alot of unseen work.
  • I wouldn't take him purely because of his childish hand shake celebration thing. if you must do something like that then bring back the Crouch robot (preferably with added moves). I know Welbeck would be up for it.

He isn't a central midfielder, he plays more CAM. His job is to find spaces to run into and often will pull players across to create gaps for the team. very similar to lingard, or sometimes plays on the left side but attacking. He isn't there to dominate the game, does alot of unseen work.
    You can still play in that position and control games, especially in the final third. Look at David Silva.
  • edited May 2018
    "Paolo Guerrero WILL PLAY in the World Cup. The Swiss Supreme Court has suspended his doping ban pending the results of an appeal. Remarkable."

Hmmmmmmm
  • Sponsored links:

• edited May 2018

Thing with Ali is that at the moment I find him too inconsistent. He’s still young but when you’re playing in a central role for a top club and country, you have to try and control or st least have consistent effect on the game. It’s not like a winger where you may not see a lot of the ball for large spells of the game so can be forgiven.

You can still play in that position and control games, especially in the final third. Look at David Silva.
    He does influence games , not necessarily control games as its not the way Spurs are set up. City are a team who have alot of the ball so naturally players like Silva and KDB are going to get on the ball alot and dictate the play. Spurs dont play that way, they play more on the wings and on the counter.

edit- sorry if derailing thread, ultimately its about opinions and just putting my views on Ali, class player. Sometimes under-rated
  • Alli is decent, but massively over-rated by some. Gives the ball away to often and drifts out of games too much to be in the class of Kane. Plus he a nob.
  • "Paolo Guerrero WILL PLAY in the World Cup. The Swiss Supreme Court has suspended his doping ban pending the results of an appeal. Remarkable."

Hmmmmmmm

Strangely that appeal came from the Captains from the other sides in Peru's Group
  • Not bought a newspaper for a while, Anyone seen any wallcharts advertised?
  • DA9 said:

Not bought a newspaper for a while, Anyone seen any wallcharts advertised?

Print your own if you like....

http://childrens-binary.files.bbci.co.uk/childrens-binarystore/cbbc/World-Cup-Russia-2018_Colour.pdf
  • "Paolo Guerrero WILL PLAY in the World Cup. The Swiss Supreme Court has suspended his doping ban pending the results of an appeal. Remarkable."

Hmmmmmmm

Good. The extension of his ban was ridiculous. The court agreed with his story, which means he's already been banned for six months for basically being drugged.
  • edited May 2018

@SDAddick - apologise quote was not working properly but Re: Ali

Have to disagree with alot there, also anyone who has says that Ali hasn't had a good season doesn't watch enough of him. I have watched Spurs alot this season, Ali has had a good season just statwise not as good as last season. Half the goals of last season 9 in 36 isn't too bad a return though and probably more assists.

What i like about Ali, is exactly what you have put. He has tonnes of ability and normally finds the space. Him and Lingard are very similar which is a shame as i would start both if they fit in, if not lingard would be dropped for Ali. Ali and Kane first ones on the team sheet for me and there is defo no spurs bias here.

I think he has the potential to be one of our stand out performers, but can also see fans getting on his back if he doesn't perform for one game or is in the background, we are a fickle bunch.

Yeah I agree with pretty much everything here, I think on his day he's a very special player. I was more trying to make the point you make at the end about fans getting on his back. Because he's talented but at times mercurial, and somewhat inconsistent as @ValleyGary points out, I fear he is going to be susceptible to supporters getting on his back.

My issues with him are more muted. A lot of it is about finding space and getting touches when there isn't a lot of space. Spurs are excellent at exploiting space, but there is far less space and the game is played at a far slower pace at the international level. And as we know teams will look to sit deep against England and force England to break them down. And those games are the hardest for a 10, but also the ones where they can be incredibly important.

I think the Silva comparison is good in terms of how you can influence a game from that role. But the way City play and the way the Premier League is is not the same as England and what they'll face. And I don't want to compare a Dele to someone who is a decade older than him and who is easily one of the best players of his generation. But I would say to him "watch how Silva drifts into space. Watch how he'll get multiple touches before the ball gets to the final third, and look at how that and the timing of his runs makes him hard to pick up."

I think this could be a breakout for Alli. Unlike in 2016 he doesn't have Rooney in midfield taking up some of the places he'd like to play in and dictating England play a formation to accommodate Rooney. I also think he looked shattered after his first full top flight season so hopefully that won't be as big of an issue.
  • on paper we should get through to the 1/4s minimum,

provided we get out of it,

if 1st we play 2nd placed
    if 2nd we play winner
    of arguably one of the weaker groups consisting of;

poland, senegal, columbia, japan.

only downside is come 2nd in the group and get through next game and we likely get germany in the 1/4s excellent kick off times for our matches, as can watch all of them.
  • If Brazil and Germany both win their Groups then we'll face one of them in the Quarter-Finals regardless if we win the Group or end up second; what'll be interesting is if (somehow) Switzerland win the Brazil group.

Means that it'll then be Brazil v Germany in the 2nd Round, whilst if England win the Group and get to the Quarters, they'd then face either Switzerland or the side that finishes second in the Germany group (Probably Mexico or Sweden)