Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

2018 FIFA World Cup Thread

Comments

• on paper we should get through to the 1/4s minimum,

provided we get out of it,

if 1st we play 2nd placed
    if 2nd we play winner
    of arguably one of the weaker groups consisting of;

poland, senegal, columbia, japan.

only downside is come 2nd in the group and get through next game and we likely get germany in the 1/4s excellent kick off times for our matches, as can watch all of them.

Cheers for that.
    Saves me trying to work it out myself.

Quarter final minimum for me.
  • DA9 said:

Not bought a newspaper for a while, Anyone seen any wallcharts advertised?

The When Saturday Comes one is usually my favourite:

wsc.co.uk/news/14108-wsc-376-world-cup-special-with-team-guide-wallchart-out-now
  • Downloaded a World Cup spreadsheet today. Now getting excited :smile:
  • If Brazil and Germany both win their Groups then we'll face one of them in the Quarter-Finals regardless if we win the Group or end up second; what'll be interesting is if (somehow) Switzerland win the Brazil group.

Means that it'll then be Brazil v Germany in the 2nd Round, whilst if England win the Group and get to the Quarters, they'd then face either Switzerland or the side that finishes second in the Germany group (Probably Mexico or Sweden)

Think there's more chance of Mexico beating Germany to 1st in Group F, personally.

Whichever way that happens, it would create a weird situation if England and Belgium are both on 6 points going into the last game. You could have two teams not wanting to win to avoid a possible Brazil and Germany quarter final.
  • Downloaded a World Cup spreadsheet today. Now getting excited :smile:

Link?
  • If Brazil and Germany both win their Groups then we'll face one of them in the Quarter-Finals regardless if we win the Group or end up second; what'll be interesting is if (somehow) Switzerland win the Brazil group.

Means that it'll then be Brazil v Germany in the 2nd Round, whilst if England win the Group and get to the Quarters, they'd then face either Switzerland or the side that finishes second in the Germany group (Probably Mexico or Sweden)

Think there's more chance of Mexico beating Germany to 1st in Group F, personally.

Whichever way that happens, it would create a weird situation if England and Belgium are both on 6 points going into the last game. You could have two teams not wanting to win to avoid a possible Brazil and Germany quarter final.
    I think that could happen anyway with both looking to avoid Colombia

Strangely Group H finishes before Group G does so if we've qualified by the Belgium game, we will know prior to that game who we'd face depending on the result
  • We have designed a wall chart which is selling like hotcakes on e-bay
  • Okay, so I put a lot of work into this creating this one but here is my own World Cup wall chart if anyone else wants it.
  • Nice one Sage

Our A1 wallchart
  • Nice one Sage

Our A1 wallchart

Thanks, mine is very basic and couldn't fit all into one page. I only created it on PowerPoint.

Yours is much more professional, very good.
  • Sponsored links:

I know you can't read too much into friendlies but Mexico couldn't even beat a Wales reserve team the other night.

I know you can't read too much into friendlies but Mexico couldn't even beat a Wales reserve team the other night.
    Fair point. I just see them as the anti-England. Rarely do much until the World Cup and then make the knockout rounds easily.
  • edited May 2018
    Sage said:

Nice one Sage

Our A1 wallchart

Thanks, mine is very basic and couldn't fit all into one page. I only created it on PowerPoint.

Ours is a commercial product, your one looks very professional.

Wales reserves where u getting that from
    7 out of 11 started there last 2 games before and the 4 that didnt 3 were injured or dropped but have plenty of international expierence
    Ledly
    Ramsey
    Lawrence

They're a real wild card for me. They have a handful of very good players, and a lot of solid players. But it's a question of are they *that* good. And Osorio, who can be a very good tactician, can also be a little to clever and cute for his own good. So I could see them going further than expected in the tournament because they are more than the sum of their (already good) parts and Osorio's tactical boys gets a lot out of them, but I could also see them floundering and not getting out of the group because they lack tactical cohesion and fluidity. And theirs is not an easy group either.
  • edited May 2018
    Mexico are a challenge for anybody but lack the quality to do that well! I would be surprised if they get out of their group. They won't win it, but I fancy Japan to have a decent tournament - up to quarters possibly!
  • Sage said:

Nice one Sage

Our A1 wallchart

Ours is a commercial product, your one looks very professional.
    Well thank you. Only downfall for me really was the quality of the background and that it is over two pages.

7 out of 11 started there last 2 games before and the 4 that didnt 3 were injured or dropped but have plenty of international expierence
    Ledly
    Ramsey
    Lawrence
    They had a Bristol Rovers defender out there for 70 minutes, and he was partnered by a guy who plays for Brentford. And when Vokes went off at half time they played David Brooks up front.

And i must've missed the point when George Thomas, Harry Wilson, Matt Smith and Connor Roberts became household names?

Let's face it, Mexico should be beating that.

Ledly
    Ramsey
    Lawrence
    They had a Bristol Rovers defender out there for 70 minutes, and he was partnered by a guy who plays for Brentford. And when Vokes went off at half time they played David Brooks up front.

And i must've missed the point when George Thomas, Harry Wilson, Matt Smith and Connor Roberts became household names?

Let's face it, Mexico should be beating that.
    Yes they made subs but so.did mexico

Wales starting 11 was
    Hennessey
    Mepham
    Williams
    Davies
    Gunter
    Wilson
    King
    Ramsey
    Lawrence
    Ledley
    Vokes

Pretty good to me
  • I arranged a world cup sweepstake in the office today.
    Instead of rewarding winner and 2nd place, I'm rewarding winner and worst team (if even on points and goalscore, Rock–paper–scissors will decide). Makes it far more interesting, if you've picked a team like Iran (which I did).
  • Sponsored links:

• Anyone joined up to any World Cup fantasy leagues ? I really can’t bring myself to join the FIFA McDonald’s league because of the branding.
  • https://fixtur.es/en/wedstrijden/fifa-2018-russia/ronde/1

This is an online fixture calendar (google, Apple, outlook etc), which will constantly update with results and knockout fixtures
  • edited June 2018
  • I’ve set up a Charlton Life league on Telegraph Fantasy World Cup

League Name: Charlton Life
    Pin: 8147348
    Passcode: 1905

https://fantasyfootball.telegraph.co.uk/world-cup

Free to enter no money involved.

I've joined. Might be worth starting a separate thread for this so that more people see it?
  • Colombia drew 0-0 with a Salahless Egypt tonight.

Not a great result for them and are beatable if we get them in 2nd round
  • Another day, another story about Sterling.

This time he was 'late' to meet the squad even though he was given an extended break by Southgate.
  • Did you see the telegraph earlier.
    A story about Englands kit being made in Bangledesh and the pic they used was Sterling in the kit
  • Another day, another story about Sterling.

This time he was 'late' to meet the squad even though he was given an extended break by Southgate.

He was expected back Tuesday evening but turned up Wednesday morning as he made a mistake re his flight times.

So he was actually late.
  • MrOneLung said:

Another day, another story about Sterling.

He was expected back Tuesday evening but turned up Wednesday morning as he made a mistake re his flight times.

So he was actually late.
    So didn't miss anything. He missed a sleep.