Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**A Message to Fans From Lee Bowyer**

Comments

• Options

My dream is that they'll appoint Lee, get Curbs in as his experienced assistant manager (less responsibility means he could still do the odd pundit job that he enjoys on a Sunday) and have Jackson working specifically with the defence as a first team coach - no coincidence that our goals conceded record improved massively since he focused on taking charge of that.

This. Except 1 small change. I wouldn't have Jacko working with just the defence. I'd have him working with the midfield on arriving in the box late etc. I'd have him working with the strikers on finishing and having getting a head on the end of corners.... players all over the pitch could learn from him.
  • Options

My dream is that they'll appoint Lee, get Curbs in as his experienced assistant manager (less responsibility means he could still do the odd pundit job that he enjoys on a Sunday) and have Jackson working specifically with the defence as a first team coach - no coincidence that our goals conceded record improved massively since he focused on taking charge of that.

Rather than assistant manager, I'd say director of football. That way he could work with Lee on building a squad, something Curbs was good at but Bowyer hasn't had to do yet, and be a source of advice in the background. And I'd have thought it's unlikely Curbs would want to go back to being an assistant manager, but DoF might work.
  • Options
    I think Bowyer has done a decent job, aided by the players, the thought of the takeover and Jacko.

I’m. It sure he is ready or maybe even good enough for a full time role as manager. Probably a bit better than Gobinson, much more dynamic than Slade but not a step up.

If I had just bought the club, I’d be looking for someone with more history of getting promotions.
  • Options
    sounds like a plee to the new owner that he wants the job. Just needed polishing by Alan Bleasdale.....

gis us a job.
  • Options
    We want you to have a proper crack at winning League 1 Lee, over to you Andrew.
  • Options

Mind you, i would suggest that the goalkeeping coach might have some say in this - Amos has been superb in the run in- and has saved us on many an occasion.
  • Options
    Nice statement, owner bit aside.

I'm not as certain as others that Bowyer is the right move for us now - particularly if the takeover goes through - but very happy to be proven wrong if he gets it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

If nobody else will say it I will, whys he mentioning the owner? He was only ever appointed because RD was never gonna pay anyone else. Surely he knows that. Thought he’d have more backbone than that. Disappointing.

If Karl Robinson said that he'd get so much abuse.

The fans are in love with Bowyer. Which I'm not criticising because I am too! But for me thanking the owner taints a perfect message.

The owner gave him the job because it was the easiest appointment and only appointment available.
  • Options
    se9addick said:

Nice statement, owner bit aside.

I'm not as certain as others that Bowyer is the right move for us now - particularly if the takeover goes through - but very happy to be proven wrong if he gets it.

Same here. I absolutely wouldn't mind if he got the job and he'd have my support 100%. But is he the best choice available? I feel most people only think so based on him being ex-Charlton.
  • Options
    Top man, hope he is given the chance next season....for now go and enjoy your fishing trip Lee.
  • Options
    Thanks Lee for giving us back the belief and the Charlton feel. Thanks for getting the players fighting again which is the least we expect as Charlton fans. Thanks for getting the place rocking again and giving us something to believe in and cheer about.

I wouldn't have said the bit about the owner but it seems clear to me that it's put there as a one sentence tick box exercise because it's what you are supposed to do in that situation. Especially when you compare it with the gushing terms he uses for every other aspect of the club.
  • Options
    I really like him and I hope he gets a shot as manager
  • Options
    Well, Lee, you made it feel like Charlton again, and imo you were dignified in your interviews you worked hard and you were gracious to the players, staff and fans. I reckon you have done yourself a lot of credit, and personally, I think you and Jacko deserve a crack at the job next season.
  • Options
    Well done Lee, if we had had you at Christmas when we went on that terrible run we might just of nicked automatic promotion!
    To everybody else who has supported the team( NOT RD) i was proud sit along side you in the covered end, the pompey away game will live with me for a long time. COME ON YOU REDS!!
  • Options

Bless his cotton socks !

SLB ?

He doesn't need a "Charlton knighthood", he's already Lord of the manor.

In Lord Bowyer we trust.
  • Options
    I'd like to see him given a chance under new owners, but I suspect that won't be happening if it's true that he hasn't been spoken to.

He got the very best out of the players that were available to him, for a time, but our deficiencies were exposed in the end. Could another manager have done much better under the same circumstances? It's possible, but the sort of manager who might have made a difference probably wouldn't have been available to us.

LB came in for some criticism after we lost the last three matches of the season. Hardly surprising, but although he might have selected different players, or tweaked the formation, I'm not sure anything he could have done would have made us a much better side. You can't make players stronger or taller in a team talk, and you can't control luck, which I thought before the second semi might play a part.

So freshen up the squad with five or six quality players, leave Lee and Jacko in charge, and let's see what happens. You'd guarantee that the fans would be on side at least.
  • Options
    I think Lee Bowyer has behaved in an excellent manner, I want him appointed manager on a full time basis.
    His comment that he was convinced we would get promotion is a bit over the top. For most of the season, at best the team were average.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

I think Lee Bowyer has behaved in an excellent manner, I want him appointed manager on a full time basis.
    His comment that he was convinced we would get promotion is a bit over the top. For most of the season, at best the team were average.

He’s right, we should have got promotion. I think we’ve got an excellent squad which should have walked this league. The problem we’ve had all season is the tactics for the most part. Losing Clarke was a major blow imo. Not shooting constantly was a mistake.
  • Options
    DaisyEdwards put that in yer pipe and smoke it!
  • Options

He’s right, we should have got promotion. I think we’ve got an excellent squad which should have walked this league. The problem we’ve had all season is the tactics for the most part. Losing Clarke was a major blow imo. Not shooting constantly was a mistake.
    Should have walked this league? Really? We looked like men against boys sometimes, and were made to look very average on quite a few occasions. You can't always blame the manager you know. (Family motto.)
  • Options
    JamesSeed said:

I'd like to see him given a chance under new owners, but I suspect that won't be happening if it's true that he hasn't been spoken to.

He got the very best out of the players that were available to him, for a time, but our deficiencies were exposed in the end. Could another manager have done much better under the same circumstances? It's possible, but the sort of manager who might have made a difference probably wouldn't have been available to us.

LB came in for some criticism after we lost the last three matches of the season. Hardly surprising, but although he might have selected different players, or tweaked the formation, I'm not sure anything he could have done would have made us a much better side. You can't make players stronger or taller in a team talk, and you can't control luck, which I thought before the second semi might play a part.

So freshen up the squad with five or six quality players, leave Lee and Jacko in charge, and let's see what happens. You'd guarantee that the fans would be on side at least.

Are you suggesting the Aussies should have spoken to Lee......why, they don’t own us mate and that would be way out of order.
  • Options
    That’s a good bye imo
  • Options

re. thanking the owner -

I look at it as it is, ie. he's simply thanked RD for letting him have the opportunity. It doesn't mean to say RD ain't still a twat and it doesn't mean that Lord Bowyer doesn't still think RD's a twat, but there comes a time in most people's life, when you have to thank a twat.

Good statement Lord Bowyer

Second that
    Thanks i_b_b_o_r_g ;-)
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    ross1 said:

Nice but just words. If it was KR he'd be getting a barrage of abuse.
  • Options
    Think he is telling us how much he wants the job,think we should give it to him