Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

**A Message to Fans From Lee Bowyer**

Comments

• Options
    Great message, can't deny he did very well with what he had in the last 12 games. He's not perfect but neither was SCP (Sorry) and we all know how that went. I believe that if he made mistakes he would learn from them, if we could get Curbs as a DOF or someone of similar knowledge and experience I honestly believe Bowyer could give us automatic promotion next year.

Too much being made of the note to RD. Think it was nothing more than a cursory nod as a part of a respectful message that he felt he HAD to put in there.

Saddest of all, that sounds like a goodbye :'(
  • Options
    Sounds very much like a goodbye speech to me.
  • Options
    If they seriously intend to Australianize Charlton, then I think it'll be Kewell. If it's true that Bowyer hasn't even been spoken to by the 'new owners' than I think it's fair to read that as a farewell message from LB, and Kewell must be a shoe-in.
  • Options
    We don't know what they intend to do until they tell us.
  • Options
    Thankyou Lee.
    I saw you make your debut for the Addicks as a teenager, as caretaker manager, and I hope I see you make your debut as our full time manager.
  • Options
    sounds like a goodbye and before i get shouted down, lee has no experience of signing players etc so would maybe be a bridge too far he gave us a bit of hope end of the season and a few good perfomances and got the fans bouncing again. so im greatful for that. depending on who is lined up to take over depends on whether i want lee to stay or not
  • Options

Sounds very much like a goodbye speech to me.

Me too. Think he and Jacko have done very well. Would have liked to see him given a chance. He seems determined to take a 'manager only' role though so if not with us let's hope a Div. 1 or 2 club are prepared to give him a chance.

• Options
    As good as it’s been under Bowyer I’m not sure if he has the knowledge of players for us to bring in or the tactical knowledge required of a manager just yet, happy to give him a chance but Sunday was a worry when he seemed to let the pressure of being 2-0 down on aggregate get to him, the Shrewsbury fans were jeering him and the 2 subs seemed to be random and snap decision, emotionally and thoughtlessly made, didn’t think Ajose or Fosu should have came off personally.
  • Options

As good as it’s been under Bowyer I’m not sure if he has the knowledge of players for us to bring in or the tactical knowledge required of a manager just yet, happy to give him a chance but Sunday was a worry when he seemed to let the pressure of being 2-0 down on aggregate get to him, the Shrewsbury fans were jeering him and the 2 subs seemed to be random and snap decision, emotionally and thoughtlessly made, didn’t think Ajose or Fosu should have came off personally.

I don't think he had any choice but to bring off Fosu. Ajose wouldn't have scored if we were still playing now
  • Options
    Clever fellow, thanking Roland a good move. I am sure that his opinion matches ours.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

That's partly what his backroom team would be there for.
  • Options
    I really wasn't sure how he'd do given his turbulent past, but was prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. He proved my doubts all wrong and I hope he stays as manager, would love Curbs to be DOF. Just because what we want never happens, I can't see it sadly.
  • Options
    It does sound like goodbye,

But also, one assume JJ is now contractless - i.e. this season he was player coach which I guess was a 1 year deal......
  • Options
    Lee B
    “Finally, I’d like to thank the owner. He believed in me and gave me the opportunity to take charge.”

Gobinson
    “The owner was very, very good in what he said to me. Katrien has been phenomenal in everything I’ve asked. All the things I’d heard about [before I came], haven’t been the case. I think if you asked them both they’d say maybe they underestimated how things worked in England and that’s where things fell down a little bit.”
  • Options
    Sounded to me like he hadn’t been offered manager position and doesn’t want to step down. He’s rather go and be manager somewhere else for a bit than be first team coach again....

Good luck to him.
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    I always thought that getting to the final at least was going to be the minimum he needed. Harsh because it is not his team and he did get them playing better than Robbo but understandable too.
  • Options

My dream is that they'll appoint Lee, get Curbs in as his experienced assistant manager (less responsibility means he could still do the odd pundit job that he enjoys on a Sunday) and have Jackson working specifically with the defence as a first team coach - no coincidence that our goals conceded record improved massively since he focused on taking charge of that.

This. Except 1 small change. I wouldn't have Jacko working with just the defence. I'd have him working with the midfield on arriving in the box late etc. I'd have him working with the strikers on finishing and having getting a head on the end of corners.... players all over the pitch could learn from him.
    That's all well and good, but I'd argue Bowyer himself is better placed to give that advice. He had a very succesful career at a higher level than Jacko arriving late into the box scoring in Champions League and Premier League games.
  • Options
    Dazzler21 said:

ross1 said:

Nice but just words. If it was KR he'd be getting a barrage of abuse.
    But that's the point. He isn't.
  • Options

We don't know what they intend to do until they tell us.

Hence all the 'if's.
    You're right of course, it's all speculation.
  • Options

re. thanking the owner -

I look at it as it is, ie. he's simply thanked RD for letting him have the opportunity. It doesn't mean to say RD ain't still a twat and it doesn't mean that Lord Bowyer doesn't still think RD's a twat, but there comes a time in most people's life, when you have to thank a twat.

Good statement Lord Bowyer

When you wish you can both Like and LOL...

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    It sounds like goodbye and I hope its not. Most of us want him to get a chance to do it.
    Lets face it he wants the Job and of course he is not going to slag Roland off, Just in case the takeover does not happen and it is Roland who picks the next Manager
  • Options
    deserves a chance with such great stats
  • Options
    I can't a better manager available in League One. His performance the last 2 months has earned him a shot. He wants to job. If we don't offer it to him, then how can we claim to be a "family club?" What more do we want? Mick? Fuck that.
  • Options

I can't a better manager available in League One. His performance the last 2 months has earned him a shot. He wants to job. If we don't offer it to him, then how can we claim to be a "family club?" What more do we want? Mick? Fuck that.

Don't see how not giving to Bowyer means we're not a "family" club.

I'd be happy with Bowyer but I'd be happier with Jones.
  • Options

re. thanking the owner -

I look at it as it is, ie. he's simply thanked RD for letting him have the opportunity. It doesn't mean to say RD ain't still a twat and it doesn't mean that Lord Bowyer doesn't still think RD's a twat, but there comes a time in most people's life, when you have to thank a twat.

Good statement Lord Bowyer

When you wish you can both Like and LOL...

Thought you might've simply said "Thanks", inline with the post
  • Options
    edited May 2018
    Doesn’t take much does it?
  • Options
    LEE LEE LEE BOWYER
  • Options
    edited May 2018

Don't see how not giving to Bowyer means we're not a "family" club.

I'd be happy with Bowyer but I'd be happier with Jones.

Because a "family" does not trade out someone who did well. Families give family members a chance, especially when they have done well, which he has.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Jones is good, clearly, but he is now already in League One now and he ain't gonna leave Luton to come here in a lateral move for new, unknown foreign owners, especially after getting Luton promoted.

Same with Mick. Why would Mick come here for the £250k most L1 managers make when he can get a job in The Championship for twice that or more? And given in his 16 years as manager he has spent all of it (at minimum) in The Championship or above, he would suddenly want to drop to this league? Why? If there was some great (or even good) manager who wanted to come here, he would have done so, already. There have been a dozen chances lately.

The best two managers we have had in the Premier League era (Curbs, Powell)... each had NO managerial experience before managing us, correct? And all those who did have experience? They sucked. Without exception. Bowyer fits right into the mould of what has worked here before. First-time manager, link to club, give em time. I say go with what works!

If we are trading out Bowyer, then it is for Kewell. Or someone who (at best) has been a lifetime yo-yo manager in the lower leagues that CAFC can afford. Lee actually WANTS the job. Imagine that!!! Someone who LIKED their time here and WANTS the job! Not someone looking to pay the bills and deep down wants to leave at the first chance, which is probably everyone else but Powell. And we are saying "Nah, we can do better, thanks for the playoffs, Lee."

I think for us to let Bowyer go without giving him a full chance after doing as well as he did, especially when I can't think of anyone better realistically who wants to come here, is lunacy, in my mind. Just lunacy.