Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Carabao (EFL) and Checkatrade Cup changes

2»

Comments

• I think this whole football tourism and general push to promote English club football as a global brand is a joke. I get it, money talks and what Scudamore has done with the Premier League is now taking off and permeating down. But whether it be Cup draws in Vietnam or exhibition Manchester derbies in Shanghai, they’re not going to get the essence of what makes English club football special, the fans.

I don’t care how many people in places like India will buy a Pogba watch or a replica shirt, they can’t export the passion, commitment, history and culture of a game that’s been played over here since the 1800s. They’re only ever gonna get a plastic sponsor led fake imitation.

It winds me up a bit because I remember the Blackpool away game in March. Same night Man Utd lost at home to Seville in CL. At the service station there were a group of fans from somewhere like China, Singapore that part of the world and I thought, how are they getting tickets ahead of local kids or local fans. Utd must have deals with all sorts of sponsors that mean they get x amount of tickets for their customers for games.

I’d be interested to see whether or not that is actually a thing with English clubs now and sponsorship. I know sponsors get tickets for executive boxes etc but I reckon a lot of these clubs might have deals whereby they give the sponsors tickets to give away in competitions.
  • 8 home to 18

Give Lee Bowyer a great start to being full time manager by beating the Spanners
  • Judging by the continual f*** ups with these competitions, I expect us to get knocked out in the early stages by Barcelona and Boca Juniors respectively. ;)
  • Having said that, if we're drawn away to Villa, I quite fancy that!

Why, do you really think both first team squads will be playing. You will be watching two sets of reserves in front of 4,000 fans..................if you are lucky
  • People do realise that the Carabao Cup is the League Cup not the Football League Joke Trophy

Most seasons we pretty much play our first team in the League Cup
  • People do realise that the Carabao Cup is the League Cup not the Football League Joke Trophy

Most seasons we pretty much play our first team in the League Cup

Not through choice though, it's usually because Roland is a tight fucker and we rarely have a squad big enough to field a reserve team.
  • Northern draw done. Southern is up next. Live on Talksport 2
  • Away at MK Dons. Boring.
  • MK away. How dull.
  • Sponsored links:

• Zzzzzzzz
  • Buzzing for this one
  • Glad I done mk.dons away last season.
    I won't be going to this game though
  • Having said that, if we're drawn away to Villa, I quite fancy that!

Why, do you really think both first team squads will be playing. You will be watching two sets of reserves in front of 4,000 fans..................if you are lucky
    I'd question the 'lucky' bit of your post @eaststandmike
  • What a dull fixture

I notice Millwall are playing Gillingham, that might be more interesting
  • What a dull fixture

I notice Millwall are playing Gillingham, that might be more interesting

Is it at Gillingham? I hope so. They could help with some ground improvements and demolish the away stand.
  • cant be botheted to go back & read the original posts....when is the 1st round - the week after the first game of the season ??
  • cant be botheted to go back & read the original posts....when is the 1st round - the week after the first game of the season ??

The club websites will tell you.
  • Sponsored links:

• Scoham said:
    I’ve got a better idea - why don’t the top 4 English clubs play in the Scottish League Cup to breathe some life into that competition. 
    Well the top two Conference teams that dont get promoted go into the Scottish Challenge Cup
  • cabbles said:
    Same night Man Utd lost at home to Seville in CL. At the service station there were a group of fans from somewhere like China, Singapore that part of the world and I thought, how are they getting tickets ahead of local kids or local fans.
    Probably some kind of football holiday type thing, I get spammed all the time with companies promoting trips to a Dortmund game, and supposedly they have a couple thousand English fans at every home game?

The biggest football clubs seem to have a set number of tickets put aside for these sort of things. 
  • It’s the league cup, so by default, you have to be in the league to be in it.  
  • Scoham said:
    I don't have actually have anything against that idea. I think combining both the English and Scottish league cups would actually be quite fun. I mean lets be honest, no one takes it very seriously anymore and it would be fun to play some new teams. It will help assess the quality difference between all the leagues.
  • It's like a mini Anglo Scottish Cup.
  • RC_CAFC said:
    Scoham said:
    I don't have actually have anything against that idea. I think combining both the English and Scottish league cups would actually be quite fun. I mean lets be honest, no one takes it very seriously anymore and it would be fun to play some new teams. It will help assess the quality difference between all the leagues.
    What happens to the European place?  The last English team in it qualifies?  If you think its a joke already it would be worse without the carrot of Europe.  Although Man City win it every year anyway.