Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Diego Maradona - hospitalised after Nigeria game

Comments

• se9addick said:

se9addick said:

PaddyP17 said:

If this were Gazza the sentiments would all be "how sad, battling his demons, hope he pulls through".

But it's not, and he did the hand of God thing, so let's all laugh. Ha ha ha. Let's revel in a clearly ill man's problems. Hilarious.

Have I got that right?

Nope.

I’ve little sympathy for either of them. Or George Best for that matter.

This anyone that has a transplant and continues to drink is a bit of a twat, although I fucking love gazza but that’s cos he’s one of our own.
    "One of our own" - do you mean he's English?
    Well as far as I’m aware he has never played for Charlton. So yes because he is English, any chance we can not turn this into a row already had enough this morning because of some on morning tv saying the st George’s Cross should be banned.

You do have form for being a bit of a Wolly around any partiotic comments so if you could avoid that then that would be v handy.

Cheers

se9addick said:

PaddyP17 said:

If this were Gazza the sentiments would all be "how sad, battling his demons, hope he pulls through".

But it's not, and he did the hand of God thing, so let's all laugh. Ha ha ha. Let's revel in a clearly ill man's problems. Hilarious.

Have I got that right?

Nope.

I’ve little sympathy for either of them. Or George Best for that matter.

This anyone that has a transplant and continues to drink is a bit of a twat, although I fucking love gazza but that’s cos he’s one of our own.
    "One of our own" - do you mean he's English?
    Well as far as I’m aware he has never played for Charlton. So yes because he is English, any chance we can not turn this into a row already had enough this morning because of some on morning tv saying the st George cross should be banned.
    Did Gazza play for us in a charity game once.
    Possibly but the poster asking has form so it’s likely an attempt to make me look like some sort of edl nutjob, how dare you be proud to be English.
    Ha, brilliant!

I'm actually very patriotic, although I would imagine that word means very different things to you and I but I would love to see some examples of my "form".

For the record, as a Rangers supporter, I love Gazza although he's clearly a very troubled man. He and Maradona suffer from similar demons that have manifested themselves in similar ways. They carry the weight of the working class, which in Argentina especially, must be very heavy. Not excuse for acting like a twat though.
    Not getting into tit for tat cba, why did you question what I meant by he’s one of his own?
    I've only really heard that term refer to someone who's come through a clubs youth academy, seemed a bit of stretch to claim anyone and everyone from the entire populace of England as "one of our own".
  • The cup of human kindness is not running over on this thread.

Maradonna is not a murderer or paedophile. He has addiction problems and is unwell in hospital and at least deserves that ungracious people including those haters on this forum should in the absence of anything kind to say should say nothing.
  • So what It's Maradona, the panto villain.

I cracked up when i saw the fingers and still felt like booing at the telly.
  • Howells said:

PaddyP17 said:

Have I got that right?

How do you manage to bring gazza into this?
    He has gone through a fight that neither me or you could even begin to understand, so good on him, look at him now he is in a place where he can enjoy life and time with his loved ones.

If maradonna wants to keep getting coked up and antagonize oppo supporters then what do you expect people to think?
    That sort of behaviour is muggy full stop.

But if you can manufacture a post to dig out the English I suppose you will you absolute hero.
    Maradona clearly has an addiction. Gazza also clearly has an addiction.

I concur completely that Gazza has turned it around and is doing really well. I'm very happy that this is the case.

It's not about "[wanting] to keep getting coked up". Believe it or not, cocaine is a highly addictive substance, and I reckon that's where Maradona has been for the last few decades, and it *is* pretty sad to see people taking the piss out of substance abuse.

If I've drawn a poor comparison for these reasons, feel free to refute me. Addiction is addiction, basically.

That last comment is pretty unfair, too. I'm immensely proud to be a Londoner, and last I checked, London's in England. But I'll call out any instance of intolerance/xenophobia/casual racism, if appropriate, where I see fit.

And I think I have a point that this would be a sympathetic thread if it were an English person behaving this way.
  • Riviera said:

Just for the record he was not hospitalized last night. Fake news.

Yeah, but, errr, people wished him dead over a game of football.

Somewhere. I think. Not on this thread, though.
    Strange leap of logic to attack the straw man you yourself called out!
  • edited June 2018
    Cheating at a game of football is absolutely unforgivable in a footballing sense, sure!

Being a cocaine addict is forgivable many footballer's lives spun out of control in that era.

Making cocaine jokes whilst he's in hospital, to me is fine. We don't know how serious it is therefore it's lighthearted fun.

Haven't seen it, but if people are wishing death on him... Well that's entirely pathetic.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Riviera said:

Not a leap of logic at all. Merely re-highlighting what a daft thing it was to equate in the first place.

Strange that you didn't call out the initial lie and, instead, chose to level a false accusation against me. Very un-hero like.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Riviera said:

Not a leap of logic at all. Merely re-highlighting what a daft thing it was to equate in the first place.

Strange that you didn't call out the initial lie and, instead, chose to level a false accusation against me. Very un-hero like.
    So you made your point and were correct! I actually agree with you - no-one's wished him dead or anything of the sort. Why re-highlight it when it added literally nothing to any sort of discourse?!

I didn't call out the initial lie because you got there first lol, and then called you out when you reaffirmed how "right" you were the second time around, for literally no reason.
  • edited June 2018
    bloke has become an embarrassment.

i did like how he was portrayed in Youth. film with Michael Cain and Harvey Keitel.

bit of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayXURbmujEg
  • Sponsored links:

• Curb_It said:

PaddyP17 said:

Howells said:

PaddyP17 said:

Have I got that right?

How do you manage to bring gazza into this?
    He has gone through a fight that neither me or you could even begin to understand, so good on him, look at him now he is in a place where he can enjoy life and time with his loved ones.

If maradonna wants to keep getting coked up and antagonize oppo supporters then what do you expect people to think?
    That sort of behaviour is muggy full stop.

But if you can manufacture a post to dig out the English I suppose you will you absolute hero.
    Maradona clearly has an addiction. Gazza also clearly has an addiction.

I concur completely that Gazza has turned it around and is doing really well. I'm very happy that this is the case.

It's not about "[wanting] to keep getting coked up". Believe it or not, cocaine is a highly addictive substance, and I reckon that's where Maradona has been for the last few decades, and it *is* pretty sad to see people taking the piss out of substance abuse.

If I've drawn a poor comparison for these reasons, feel free to refute me. Addiction is addiction, basically.

That last comment is pretty unfair, too. I'm immensely proud to be a Londoner, and last I checked, London's in England. But I'll call out any instance of intolerance/xenophobia/casual racism, if appropriate, where I see fit.

And I think I have a point that this would be a sympathetic thread if it were an English person behaving this way.
    Oh Paddy, it is Maradona we are talking about. Cant we take the piss out of anyone anymore? You absolute kill joy.
    I mean, it might just be me, but I draw the line at taking the piss out of those with substance addictions who appear to be mentally ill.

I'm more than happy for that to make me a killjoy, and it's cool if we see it differently.
  • bloke has become an embarrassment. once a great footballer now a giant disgusting baby.

i did like how he was portrayed in Youth. film with Michael Cain and Harvey Keitel.

bit of it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayXURbmujEg

I'm sure there are quite a few substance addicts with underlying psychological conditions that could be deemed by some to be an embarrassment. Doesn't make it right though.
  • edited June 2018
    PaddyP17 said:

PaddyP17 said:

Riviera said:

So you made your point and were correct! I actually agree with you - no-one's wished him dead or anything of the sort. Why re-highlight it when it added literally nothing to any sort of discourse?!

I didn't call out the initial lie because you got there first lol, and then called you out when you reaffirmed how "right" you were the second time around, for literally no reason.
    It always astounds me when comments around adding nothing to the discourse are called out by some but they blatantly ignore it on other threads when comments are made by those they usually agree with.

Calling out is fine but at least be consistent with it :smile:

Claiming that people are wishing someone dead when nothing of the sort has been said adds even less to the discourse and is a disgusting attempt at smearing people. It was effective enough for others to have repeated it since, which goes to show that some people select what they read without checking the facts first.

At least we've found common ground twice this week.
  • PaddyP17 said:

Have I got that right?

So you don't take the piss out of Donald Trump or Kim Jong-un who are crazy people with power.

When adults CHOOSE to drink or drug themselves silly, we should try to help By offering care and clinics but also taking the Michael because that is the real world not this strange new world where the only people you are allowed to take the piss out of is politicians.
    I can assure you that being soft and saying there, there doesn't work.
    Tough love my friend,
    Madonna has turned into the late Oliver Reed, a self parody who made adult choices which wrecked his body.

My image of him last night was of throwing the single finger on both Hands.

I will save my sympathy for the millions still dying of hunger and thirst in the world through no fault of their own.
    This is pretty much how I feel about it.

Of course addiction is a terrible thing and affects people in all walks of life.

Unlike people in most walks of life however, DM (like others mentioned in this thread) is in a very privileged position in that he can afford the absolute best in terms of rehab and care.

George Best is worse in my opinion.....took a transplant and still abused it....a transplant that could well have extended the life of another.

• if gazza was swearing at a load of nigerian fans whilst uploading photos of him with bottles of vodka on a private plane all as a fifa guest i wouldnt be over the moon and he certainly wouldnt be a hero - i don't like the argies mentality of sulking and running up to the ref every 2 mins ( constant with a lot of south american teams )
  • edited June 2018
    he goes to matches whilest pissed up where he shouts and swears at opposing fans, he sends videos of himself on a plane downing shots and having what looks like a giant bag of coke sitting next to him all this while being paid by FIFA 10 grand a day to be an Ambassador of football. an Ambassador of Football! if anything he's the one taking the piss.
  • as far as i'm aware gazza doesnt get a fund from the fa to go on the sesh
  • if gazza was swearing at a load of nigerian fans whilst uploading photos of him with bottles of vodka on a private plane all as a fifa guest i wouldnt be over the moon and he certainly wouldnt be a hero - i don't like the argies mentality of sulking and running up to the ref every 2 mins ( constant with a lot of south american teams )

Their predecessors were exactly the same in 1966 especially when Ratin got his marching orders in the QF, they'll never change, its in the genes.
  • Saw him play live twice. The best player I saw in over 50 years of watching football (but I never did see Pele to be fair). As a human being, a total arsehole and frankly a rather sad, fat, coke head, old before his time individual.
  • Sponsored links:

• RedChaser said:

if gazza was swearing at a load of nigerian fans whilst uploading photos of him with bottles of vodka on a private plane all as a fifa guest i wouldnt be over the moon and he certainly wouldnt be a hero - i don't like the argies mentality of sulking and running up to the ref every 2 mins ( constant with a lot of south american teams )

Their predecessors were exactly the same in 1966 especially when Ratin got his marching orders in the QF, they'll never change, its in the genes.
    last night the nigerians penalty the nigerian player walked away mascherano chasing after the ref ( i thought that sort of stuff wasnt allowed ) tbh it seems a constant trend with the south american teams of arrogance we have to turn up to win, who honestly though argentina would fluke through a group consisting of iceland, croatia and nigeria, anyway hopefully the french do a number on them - play like they did against croatia and could be a cricket score.
  • Agreed, and running the Argies close with their histrionics are the Uruguayans who really show their colours when they are losing / going out of a competition.

Can't remember which World Cup it was but the red mist descended in one comp that I thought the third world war was going to break out. Anyone that moved in the opposition got kicked up in the air. Don't be surprised if they kick off again this time around.
  • edited June 2018
    Can't believe someone doesn't understand "He's one of our own" in the international context, as opposed to club context.

• It's almost like no one is responsible for their actions any more it's crazy. Feel sorry for Maradona you're having a laugh. Obviously doesn't mean wishing death upon him also.
  • I bet he’s a good laugh to go out on the sesh with, I might invite him to my stag do
  • I bet he’s a good laugh to go out on the sesh with, I might invite him to my stag do

What, even funnier than me?

I don’t think anyone is if I’m honest mate

Looks like a bit of a lightweight after last night.

I don’t think anyone is if I’m honest mate
    Gonna say