Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    Put yourself in his shoes. He was head and shoulders above most in our squad. RD offered him a new contract, not sure how much but say 10k a week. New arab owner comes in and offers 5k. CEO tells lies and calls him out. Then a host of clubs come calling offering him more money than he's ever seen in his life. What would you do? He always gave his all for us, you can't ask for more than that...
    Really? Seriously? We are going to do the rounds on this one more time? The club were contractually required to pay him through to the end of his contract. He in turn was contractually obliged to make himself available to play through to the end of his contract. Regardless of whether or not he had given his all in the past, both of those requirements still applied. At the end of his contract he could do what he wanted. 

It really is not that hard to comprehend. God give me strength!!!
    Correct.
    If players can choose not to play, then clubs can choose not to pay players (plainly both are wrong/ridiculous).
  • Options
    Redhenry said:
    Put yourself in his shoes. He was head and shoulders above most in our squad. RD offered him a new contract, not sure how much but say 10k a week. New arab owner comes in and offers 5k. CEO tells lies and calls him out. Then a host of clubs come calling offering him more money than he's ever seen in his life. What would you do? He always gave his all for us, you can't ask for more than that...
    I would play out the rest of my initial contract, so 3 more games and leave with my head held high and the respect of the fans
    He's still have received stick, just less I guess. 
    Im with @paulie8290 on this. He was always going to leave, if he did the honourable thing and served out his notice and played, I would have wished him well. He might have made the difference against cardiff and he would have left with us nearly safe
    I agree, and would have done the same. But not all fans would have. If Taylor had seen out his contract, we would have had him for 3 matches but if he had refused to extend his deal by a month like others have done, than he would still have missed our last 6 and therefore still received stick. A lot of that being frustration no doubt, nobody wants their best striker to miss their most important matches of the season. 
    Personally I feel that the PL/EFL/FA/PFA etc should have agreed that ALL players with expiring contracts in the EFL and Championship would have their contracts extended to the new end of the season (including unwanted ones), and that players would be expected by the PFA to honour them. Unique circumstances need unique solutions

Thus Lyle and Solly would be expected to play on, but also that the likes of Toby Stevenson would get an extra month's salary as well, thus benefiting the PFA's less well paid members. 

It's possible that a half arsed Lyle saving himself for his next move wouldn't be worth picking anyway, but that should be Bowyer's decision to make, not Lyle's.
    Such a difficult one though. How can you force players to extend contracts with their employers. If I handed in my notice I certainly wouldn't let my employer tell me I had to work another month before leaving. 
    But footballers are on specific contracts to cover seasons/half seasons, indeed everything, their contracts, the numbers of clubs they can play for, the transfer windows are geared around this. They aren't like conventional salaried employees who can come and go as they please.

This is where the PFA needed to take a lead
  • Options
    Yeah I’ve never got the Grant stick at all. 
    Because (like Parker) he left us in the lurch & when we were going for a top 6 spot. He then join a Huddersfield team that were obviously getting relegated & only likely going to play a dozen games in the top flight. All about money & nothing to do with football. 

In the immortal words of KK......"I'd love it" if they got relegated this season.
    It was an excellent move for his career. If he’d stayed with us he’d have been battling relegation in the Championship, just the same, but he’d be a player who’d only ever scored goals at League 1 or Championship level. Even if he only played half a season there, he now he has Premier League goals on his CV, backing up the prolific season he’s had in the Championship. I’d be amazed if he isn’t attracting interests from the likes of Burnley, Sheffield Utd, and other mid table Premier League teams interested in buying English players. 
  • Options
    milo said:
    I though Barnes did well for us not mobile but still class on the ball enjoyed seeing him in our red shirt, Certainly no negatives for me.

There's a page in his autobiography about his time with Charlton.  I'm paraphrasing, because I read it over ten years ago in WHSmiths, whilst my wife was trying on shoes, so may not get all the details 100% correct.  

He said, when he signed Curbishley told him the team were really good at closing other teams down and winning the ball but once they got it didn't know what to do.  He wanted Barnes to be able to put his foot on the ball and look for an intelligent pass.  Barnes liked the club and said the team would have run through walls for Curbishley at the time.  

Unfortunately, he didn't write much more about Charlton - lots of waffle about winning the European cup and scoring against Brazil and I couldn't be bothered to read that. 
    That's effectively what Rooney is doing at Derby now. Sitting deep and spraying the ball around, letting others do the running for him
  • Options
    I though Barnes did well for us not mobile but still class on the ball enjoyed seeing him in our red shirt, Certainly no negatives for me.
    If I recall, I think Keith peacock praised Barnes in his Steve Sutherland interviews, not just as a player but as a good role model around the place 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Redhenry said:
    I would play out the rest of my initial contract, so 3 more games and leave with my head held high and the respect of the fans
    Im with @paulie8290 on this. He was always going to leave, if he did the honourable thing and served out his notice and played, I would have wished him well. He might have made the difference against cardiff and he would have left with us nearly safe
    I agree, and would have done the same. But not all fans would have. If Taylor had seen out his contract, we would have had him for 3 matches but if he had refused to extend his deal by a month like others have done, than he would still have missed our last 6 and therefore still received stick. A lot of that being frustration no doubt, nobody wants their best striker to miss their most important matches of the season. 
    Personally I feel that the PL/EFL/FA/PFA etc should have agreed that ALL players with expiring contracts in the EFL and Championship would have their contracts extended to the new end of the season (including unwanted ones), and that players would be expected by the PFA to honour them. Unique circumstances need unique solutions

Thus Lyle and Solly would be expected to play on, but also that the likes of Toby Stevenson would get an extra month's salary as well, thus benefiting the PFA's less well paid members. 

It's possible that a half arsed Lyle saving himself for his next move wouldn't be worth picking anyway, but that should be Bowyer's decision to make, not Lyle's.
    This. Especially the first paragraph. As a Union the PFA have been remarkably quiet on all this. Shameful. 
    With Gordon Taylor as its chairman is there any surprise about that? 
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    I would like to see taylor give £50,000 to the Charlton Womans team as a going away present.
    Some mitigation for refusing to play.

He spends enough time flirting with em on social media.
  • Options
    Redhenry said:

No one has the right to amend bilateral contracts forcefully and it would have required a fairly significant change to the laws of the country to allow this to happen. A change which would have potentially huge implications for the impact of both government and not fit for purpose institutions like the ones you mention and others to change contracts without appropriate supervision.

i agree with the sentiment but totally not possible. 
  • Options
    Just out of interest, who is the Charlton PFA rep?
  • Options
    Has he ever met you Weegie?
  • Options
    Oh dear, I almost feel sorry for him...
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    DA9 said:
    If I recall, I think Keith peacock praised Barnes in his Steve Sutherland interviews, not just as a player but as a good role model around the place 
    And through to the final of Britain's Brightest Family too!
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    at a guess I'd say either Pearce or Pratley
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    at a guess I'd say either Pearce or Pratley
    Its Jason Pearce https://www.thepfa.com/players/pfa-delegates?page=3
  • Options
    I read somewhere earlier that Taylor has no deal yet (I'll look for the source) so maybe he didn't already have something agreed or the announcement has been postponed - several reasons why that could be....
  • Options
    Be a real shame if the deal was withdrawn...
  • Options
    If it helps the content of this thread in any way, he was seen at the O2 today, in the golf bit.
  • Options
    Macronate said:
    If it helps the content of this thread in any way, he was seen at the O2 today, in the golf bit.
    When he could have been 1 on 1 with the millwall keeper instead of bonne. I really hope he fails where ever he goes