Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Options
    Stig said:
    Take off the rose tinted glasses guys. The sad truth is that by any measure they are a club of higher stature than us.  For those that are in any doubt, I give you Exhibit A.  
    Not arguing that, they aren’t as big as what they think they are. Slap bang average championship club (I would take that)
    Forest are a much bigger club than us (christ they've won the European cup twice in my lifetime!) fallen on hard times in recent years (who hasn't) and may not be too much between us at the moment (other than a division), but let's not kid ourselves.

Me saying they are not a massive club is not me kidding myself. I said they are a slap bang average championship club (which I would take right now- again, not kidding myself).

they haven’t been in the premier league this century And we are in the third decade!

Wimbledon, Coventry and Wigan have all won the fa cup since the forest glory days of 40 years ago. Does that make them giants of English football.
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Stig said:
    Take off the rose tinted glasses guys. The sad truth is that by any measure they are a club of higher stature than us.  For those that are in any doubt, I give you Exhibit A.  
    Give them our troubles and couple seasons in league one, see how big they are then.... 
    Lol, that is the whole point, they have not had the trouble we have had and not spent as much time in League 1. They are a bigger club, end of.
  • Options
    Stig said:
    It is true. Forest are a far bigger club - even without the evidence of Exhibit A. Never mind rose-tinted, some folk on this forum have a psychedelically warped perspective.   
  • Options
    The size of a football club changes over time. 
    There was a time in charltons history when we won the F A Cup and finished 2nd in the top division. 
    We also had the largest ground in the country and recorded some of the highest attendances. 
    Does  that make us a massive club now.
    Of course not.
    But by the same token Forest having success under Clough  40 odd years ago has no bearing on today either. 
    Spot on. By the Forest fans' logic Sheffield Wednesday really are entitled to think they are a massive club. Won the league 4 times and FA Cup 3 times. Sadly for them all before 1936.
  • Options
    There was a time in charltons history when we won the F A Cup and finished 2nd in the top division. 
    We also had the largest ground in the country and recorded some of the highest attendances. 
    Of course not.
    But by the same token Forest having success under Clough  40 odd years ago has no bearing on today either. 
    Agree with you, mostly. What does have a bearing on relative 'size' of Forest and Charlton is the fact that we are in the third tier, and they missed the play-offs to the Prem on goal difference. The gulf is massive. 
  • Options
    And Huddersfield won the league three years running.
  • Options
    Of course not.
    Agree with you, mostly. What does have a bearing on relative 'size' of Forest and Charlton is the fact that we are in the third tier, and they missed the play-offs to the Prem on goal difference. The gulf is massive. 
    Yep at the moment I have to agree. 
    But if we get new owners the fortunes of both clubs could easily be reversed. 
    I actually think that if all 92 clubs were put into some kind of order of their size then both Forest and Charlton would be in the 2nd tier. 
    So although Forest may be a bigger club it's not by that much.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Of course not.
    Yep at the moment I have to agree. 
    But if we get new owners the fortunes of both clubs could easily be reversed. 
    I actually think that if all 92 clubs were put into some kind of order of their size then both Forest and Charlton would be in the 2nd tier. 
    So although Forest may be a bigger club it's not by that much.
    A lot of ifs and buts and wishful thinking in there, Blackpool!  But I dig your optimism.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    And have been unbeaten in the league for 30 seasons.
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    And haven’t lost a match for 15 years 
    Damn!  beat me to it!
  • Options
    Who gives a bollox who is the bigger club...Taylor would do the exact same again, because he thinks he is bigger & better than the hand that feeds him...& of course us paying supporters...Fuck Him...!!!
  • Options
    The it wouldn’t happen because we’re a bigger club argument is nonsense. It’s happened in the premier league in recent years plenty of times. Payet (West Ham) and Suarez (Liverpool) two I can think of immediately. So apparently Forest are also bigger than those clubs too. 
  • Options
    I think for so many reasons it is natural to assume that Josh isn’t a particularly bright boy.
  • Options
    In the 92 there are a handful of big clubs, there are maybe 20 “small” clubs and the rest are pretty much all the same and they’re support bases will rise and fall linked to performances on the pitch. 
  • Options
    Bod said:
    I think for so many reasons it is natural to assume that Josh isn’t a particularly bright boy.
    Really? I think he’s always come across pretty articulate and intelligent. I just think he is morally bankrupt and made a terrible decision. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Didn't Pierre Van Hoindonk or whatever his name is go on strike at Forest for like 3 months
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    Didn't Pierre Van Hoindonk or whatever his name is go on strike at Forest for like 3 months
    Why don't you ask 
    Josh and see what he answers  :) 
  • Options
    Bod said:
    Not so sure about that; greedy and disloyal are the main traits I'd attribute to him. I still can't help but think there may be more to this story though. It seems strange that we had two players refusing to play, when I'm not sure that anyone else had any.  Then again, you know what they say about bad apples.
  • Options
    I just wonder what the trigger is for his and others moves to be confirmed. There is always a domino effect for a number of moves so what’s this one - outcome of the play off final or another transfer elsewhere ?
  • Options
    buckshee said:
    Dizzle said:
    Bournemouth coming down, and losing Wilson they might be interested
    Unlikely as that's one of the myriad of clubs he's Taylor has previously failed at.

Lyle Taylor and Bournemouth, would be a good fit now. A Championship team for a Championship player; away from the grief, he is getting from fans who once adored him. From Lyle Taylor baby to Lyle Taylor piranha, who's new status is one of a pariah for the majority of Cafc fans.

Personally, I don't  blame him for not playing from July 1st when he was out of contract and decided not to risk his future employment chances with the back story of the tragic comedic shakespean drama of skull duggery, with the Nimer/Southall charade unraveling.

Taylor not playing the 3 remaining games in June, when still under contract meant he had burnt his bridges and would be persona non Grata for time in memorial with the Charlton fan base which is not only sad for him but for us as well.

The parlous state of CAFC, has yet again caused a player to jump ship; the difference this time for both Taylor and Solly, I'm not sure the life boats were ready for them after the pandemic has and will cause a tsunami through the finances of EFL clubs.

• Options
    Taylor to Bournemouth makes a lot of sense , Wilson and King won't stay . Leaves them with just Sam Surridge who was on loan at Swansea first half of the season so could see Lyle sliding in up top. 
  • Options
    That Solanke bloke might come good?
  • Options
    iaitch said:
    Had completely forgotten Solanke ha! Could actually be decent at championship level . 
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    MarcusH26 said:
    iaitch said:
    Had completely forgotten Solanke ha! Could actually be decent at championship level . 

Wilson and King leave, and they bring in Taylor on a free, Grant for a fee, which would be half what they received for the over rated CB Ake(may not be with better players around him) to Man City and with Taylor's mentoring Solanke, he may become the player that played so many games for England at junior levels and which still haven't totally shown itself.
    Taylor, Solanke, Grant and one other would be a decent strike force in the 2nd tier.