Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• I cannt understand why Charlton continued to pay him for games he refused to play.  He broke his side of the contract after all.
  • I hope we sign him
  • Swisdom said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think he'll play on.

Whilst 3 years on 15-20k seems a hell of a lot (which it is), it's not going to mean he can live the high life for the rest of his days. At best for those three years is £1.1-£1.4m in your pocket, and he'll have spent a proportion already.

He'll get a 12 month gig at Championship or more likely league one on £150k+ a year, he'll take that and kick the can down the road.
    But prior to that he was probably on around £250k per year for a few years so unless he was being stupid with that theres no reason to think he didnt already have a substantial amount salted away before he went to Forest.

Invested sensibly he shouldn't have to "work" again unless he wants to.

It's such a comfort to know that the narcissistic entitled prick won't be destitute.
    Probably not even that much really. I doubt he was earning 5k a week at the likes of Falkirk, Scunthorpe and AFC Wimbledon.

I've no doubt he's not exactly struggling but at the age of 33, would his career earnings really be enough to never have to work again?
    Say he has a couple of million in the bank.

Buy a couple of houses and rent them out for 3k a month each.  

Have 500k for spending money.

Tax. Upkeep of the houses. And the agency fees, as he won’t want the hassle of fixing things himself. 
    If he had £3m in the bank he could get a high interest account quite easily.
    6.5% interest with a 1% charge 

stick £2m in there, take a £10k a month “salary” and never touch your investment and it will grow slightly.  There will be times you spend more than £10k a month but before long you’d run out of unnecessary shit to buy

And still have £1m to piss about with

you can see why he took the move as he’s set for life. He could go and live un Montserrat and live like a deity.  

can’t see him being a pundit as he dislikes the game 

Lyle Taylor is full of contradictions.
    I have heard him say he doesn't like football or watch it often but he would be a forthright pundit !

Arrogant and selfish to Charlton fans but a guy who when at Wimbledon, sorted out a senior pro who took umbrage to an academy player who had skilled him up.
    The academy player's mum told me the story and loved the man.

Hero to Zero at Charlton but he has raised thousands for charity and when he sponsored a Charlton Woman's match at Oakwood a few years back we had a long chat about his parents roots and the life of a pro footballer. Interesting character but I felt he had insecurities below the surface. Like most footballers they seek the contract to upgrade their lives.

Lyle Taylor should've ended up in our hall of fame not our hall of shame.
    Spot on…after the way he let us down so badly it’s easy to forget how great he was to the lady and her family who was in the hospice with cancer. 

There was good in him but he massively made a bad decision which let our club and fans down and unfortunately that undone all the good he had done in both terms of scoring goals and going out of his way to support fans in need etc. 

We need to move on, he’s not coming back here and we have bigger problems than Lyle Taylor! 
     "undone all the good he had done in both terms of scoring goals ". 

His goals were not cancelled/disallowed and there was no points deduction in the games he played therefore this statement is not true. Therefore he he made positive contribution in that season.
    You are disappointed about his behaviour, so was I. But get over it. Its his career move of his life, many people would make the same decision in other walks of life for increasing their salary 400~~%.
    I don't think many would make the same choice - in fact, hundreds of footballers who were also out of contract didn't.

Just play the the last few games, or at the very least those you're contracted for, and then get the same contract anyway.
    Not if he broke his leg in our remaining games.

Have never been upset with Taylor for his decision.
    You could say that about any player with 6 months of their contract remaining.

• Swisdom said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think he'll play on.

Whilst 3 years on 15-20k seems a hell of a lot (which it is), it's not going to mean he can live the high life for the rest of his days. At best for those three years is £1.1-£1.4m in your pocket, and he'll have spent a proportion already.

He'll get a 12 month gig at Championship or more likely league one on £150k+ a year, he'll take that and kick the can down the road.
    But prior to that he was probably on around £250k per year for a few years so unless he was being stupid with that theres no reason to think he didnt already have a substantial amount salted away before he went to Forest.

It's such a comfort to know that the narcissistic entitled prick won't be destitute.
    Probably not even that much really. I doubt he was earning 5k a week at the likes of Falkirk, Scunthorpe and AFC Wimbledon.

I've no doubt he's not exactly struggling but at the age of 33, would his career earnings really be enough to never have to work again?

Tax. Upkeep of the houses. And the agency fees, as he won’t want the hassle of fixing things himself. 

stick £2m in there, take a £10k a month “salary” and never touch your investment and it will grow slightly.  There will be times you spend more than £10k a month but before long you’d run out of unnecessary shit to buy

you can see why he took the move as he’s set for life. He could go and live un Montserrat and live like a deity.  

I have heard him say he doesn't like football or watch it often but he would be a forthright pundit !

Arrogant and selfish to Charlton fans but a guy who when at Wimbledon, sorted out a senior pro who took umbrage to an academy player who had skilled him up.

Hero to Zero at Charlton but he has raised thousands for charity and when he sponsored a Charlton Woman's match at Oakwood a few years back we had a long chat about his parents roots and the life of a pro footballer. Interesting character but I felt he had insecurities below the surface. Like most footballers they seek the contract to upgrade their lives.

Spot on…after the way he let us down so badly it’s easy to forget how great he was to the lady and her family who was in the hospice with cancer. 

There was good in him but he massively made a bad decision which let our club and fans down and unfortunately that undone all the good he had done in both terms of scoring goals and going out of his way to support fans in need etc. 

We need to move on, he’s not coming back here and we have bigger problems than Lyle Taylor! 

His goals were not cancelled/disallowed and there was no points deduction in the games he played therefore this statement is not true. Therefore he he made positive contribution in that season.
    You are disappointed about his behaviour, so was I. But get over it. Its his career move of his life, many people would make the same decision in other walks of life for increasing their salary 400~~%.
    I don't think many would make the same choice - in fact, hundreds of footballers who were also out of contract didn't.

Just play the the last few games, or at the very least those you're contracted for, and then get the same contract anyway.

You could say that about any player with 6 months of their contract remaining.

Granted.
  • I cannt understand why Charlton continued to pay him for games he refused to play.  He broke his side of the contract after all.
    Not sure we did pay him 
    Not sure we did pay him 
    Fooking hope we didn’t.
    If he broke his contract then I’m surprised we didn’t pursue him for breach.
  • se9addick said:
    I cannt understand why Charlton continued to pay him for games he refused to play.  He broke his side of the contract after all.
    Because it probably wouldnt have been worth the legal fees
  • se9addick said:
    I cannt understand why Charlton continued to pay him for games he refused to play.  He broke his side of the contract after all.
    I don't think he did break his contract - he just didn't agree to extend his contract beyond the contractual end date of 30 June.

Still an arsehole.  
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    se9addick said:
    I don't think he did break his contract - he just didn't agree to extend his contract beyond the contractual end date of 30 June.

Still an arsehole.  
    He definitely refused to play before that date too 
  • bobmunro said:
    se9addick said:

Still an arsehole.  
    He definitely refused to play before that date too 
    Sure he was still under contract for 3 of the games he refused to play in.
  • I thought Taylor said he's just not gonna be fully committed/focused because of wanting to get that big contract and Bowyer chose not to pick him 
  • Although he probably won’t  care because he got well paid for doing very little but like many others  I was absolutely delighted to see his big move fail miserably.
  • Addick_8 said:
    Swisdom said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think he'll play on.

Make sure you don't moan about being in League 1 then as he is one of the main reasons why we are where we are.
    Blows my mind how anyone can think it's ok what he did.
    If Taylor plays (& does what most footballers did and honoured their contract) - we stay up.

But he didn't 
  • edited June 2023
    It was poor what he did and didn't do himself any favours as the move wasn't dependent on him not playing. Do I forgive him? Yes. He has power over us if we hate him. He is not worthy of us wasting emotions on. I don't want him back at the club he has let down and I don't think it would be a good signing, even if we all still loved him anyway.
  • Addick_8 said:
    Swisdom said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think he'll play on.

Make sure you don't moan about being in League 1 then as he is one of the main reasons why we are where we are.
    If Taylor plays (& does what most footballers did and honoured their contract) - we stay up.

I don't, it's all about dough at the end of the day.   I understand why he did it.
  • Addick_8 said:
    Swisdom said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Rob7Lee said:
    I think he'll play on.

The 3 games Taylor was actually contracted to, that he didn't play in, we got 7 points out of a possible 9.

The 6 games he was never contracted to play in we got 2 points out of 18.  That's why we went down. 
  • Sponsored links:

• bobmunro said:
    se9addick said:

Still an arsehole.  
    You would know better than me, but wouldn’t refusing to play before June 30th be a breach of contract? 
  • se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:
    se9addick said:

Still an arsehole.  
    You would know better than me, but wouldn’t refusing to play before June 30th be a breach of contract? 
    He didn't actually refuse to play did he?  I mean in practise it amounts to the same thing.

'What disappoints me the most, and I've spoken to Lyle about it, [is that] he wants to play but he is so worried about getting injured that he is saying: 'I won't be the same player for you.' It's difficult because he's so big [a player] for us. Lee Bowyer

I doubt it would be enough to be classed as breach of contract. 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Cafc43v3r said:
    se9addick said:
    bobmunro said:
    se9addick said:

Still an arsehole.  
    He didn't actually refuse to play did he?  I mean in practise it amounts to the same thing.

'What disappoints me the most, and I've spoken to Lyle about it, [is that] he wants to play but he is so worried about getting injured that he is saying: 'I won't be the same player for you.' It's difficult because he's so big [a player] for us. Lee Bowyer

I doubt it would be enough to be classed as breach of contract. 
    He refused to play. 
    It amounts to the same thing, but why did Bowyer and Taylor both say the same thing, both at the time,  and retrospectively, if it wasn't true?
  • I mean, he's absolute cock, but we had him limping around train stations when he came back injured from that international game. That probably cost us a point or 2 too. 
  • edited June 2023
    shine166 said:
    I mean, he's absolute cock, but we had him limping around train stations when he came back injured from that international game. That probably cost us a point or 2 too. 
    Why is that on Charlton and not on his national FA? I'd also argue that he was both in a protective boot and had crutches so unlikely to have caused any additional damage 
  • Bring him back! 
  • Yeah he's got a nice smile