Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• the only thing i always think in these situations. 

at 5pm last saturday he was quite happy to be at charlton even posting on instagram his delight at bagging on championship debut

so he was quite happy to be earning as per contract then. 

i think he should maybe get a 50% rise now then if possible raise it by more if people come looking in january. 

bit like a bonus system at work, if we have a good year i get a decent drink at xmas. 
    Of course he was, and then he would probably be happier earning three times as much as someone offered to him.
    he must of known clubs would come in for him, he was the best striker in league 1 last year

the whole twitter business is strange but just part of modern life. 
    Why is it strange?

A bloke who uses a social media platform to have what are usually quiet jovial interactions with fans all of a sudden starts to receive vile abuse because it is rumoured he may be considering moving to another club for 3 times the salary he is currently earning.

Just because football fans are 'passionate' and pay money to follow their team everywhere does not give them any ownership or right at all to have a say in what a player decides to do with his own future. 

No wonder he wants to take some time away from that. 
    this vile abuse i've seen a few snake comments. 

but has anyone actually got any of this vile abuse on record? the snake and greedy comments - you get them - i think its ridiculous and childish but you do get them at every club. 

if anything i have seen more tweets and post about how much lyle wants to be here - he doesnt if a better offer comes he would be gone ( not saying thats wrong ) but the notion that he only wants to play for charlton is bollocks and its wearing thin. 

hes a good player but hes played 1 game and scored 1 goal. 

if by xmas he hasn't scored more than 10 people will be moaning - likely the same people that were moaning about him leaving that we didnt accept 4million for him  - i have no doubt that if the toney offer was accepted then lyle would be gone, even that isnt great as it shows him no loyalty. 
  • Has he ever, ‘kissed the badge’?
    Don't think I’ve seen that personally. 
  • Has anyone actually seen any abuse on twitter? I'm not saying there hasn't been, just seems that the majority of it is outpouring support and people begging him to stay.
  • He's holding out for the 25K a week when we get promoted to EPL next season after scoring 25 goals this season (no pressure Lyle)! 
  • I know theres a boro fan in there, just thought it was another example of fans in general being knobbish.

• If you sign a 2 year contract you shouldn't be trying to force a move a year later. I'm sure Lyle is the type of guy who will get over it and still give his best. If he does the business this season he will be a free agent next season and can cash in then. He could move on and nobody would have any right to complain. As the BFG did , He's left as a legend
  • He didn’t try to force a move.
  • Fair enough @Dazzler21

Knobbish I agree with, but I think Lyle has overcooked it with the 'unacceptable' claim.

• Sponsored links:

• It's the constant bootlicking and arse kissing of Lyle that does my head in. He's had one good season with us, he's not a hero. If he wanted a move for money then fair enough, but he is allowed to be critised for handling this whole thing badly. Did you see Joe Aribo or Pat Baeur posting cryptic shit on Twitter before they left? It's not a professional look. Lyle can came across as extremely arrogant and thin skinned
  • edited August 2019
    Croydon said:
    Fair enough @Dazzler21

Knobbish I agree with, but I think Lyle has overcooked it with the 'unacceptable' claim.

this the player is quite happy to get into spats with sam quek which in turn then gives her abuse by some morons, the love in comments which i also find pretty sad from grown men/women outweigh the knobbish ones by about 15 to 1 
  • Croydon said:
    Fair enough @Dazzler21

I agree, I think he's probably seen he's got a few thousand notifications and many of them are apologising for the abuse he's getting... 

I couldn't be bothered to go back much further than the Flipp Dinero quote... He's been tweeted so many times... I'd say 95% were apologists, 3% were frustrated fans and 2% complete knobs... 

It's always the bloody 2% you have to watch out for.  
  • edited August 2019
    Croydon said:
    Fair enough @Dazzler21

this the player is quite happy to get into spats with sam quek which in turn then gives her abuse by some morons, the love in comments which i also find pretty sad from grown men/women outweigh the knobbish ones by about 15 to 1 
    Lyle cannot be held accountable for bell ends having a go at people like Sam Quek, he is only accountable for his own actions. Just like everyone else.

The love in is understandable, we are supporters and fanatics. We idolise our players because they help Charlton do well. We want to keep them here so we support them... some of those are well over protective and creepy as a result, others are reasonable.
  • I like Lyle but and it is a big BUT, if you have signed a contract then just honour it. Presuming the rumours are true, don't throw your toys out the pram because now you have the chance to earn more !

The fact is, Charlton have help make him the player he is and that is down to Bowyer, the backroom boys along with his own efforts last season. He has prospered in a side energised by Lee. If the club don't want to sell him (no surprise as they can't replace him) then he should just go and bang the goals in and get rightly noticed. He will kill two birds with one stone, one go a long way to keeping us in the Championship and attract the interest of many clubs who are able to pay him more than we can.

I am sure I could enjoy a nice lifestyle on 6k a week. Most of his fans don't earn that in a month !!
  • I am a bit surprised we can afford (a percentage of) premier league wages when we can’t afford to improve Taylor’s contract?
  • Hi Mametz how are you.
  • Some real intellectual giants on Twatter....
    Giant whoppers...
  • Sponsored links:

• Taylor was very happy to sign for us for 2 years,on what was probably double his previous salary.At the time I doubt he invisaged the level of success he would have with us and consequently the opportunity to earn much more.He is quite within his rights to want to improve his earnings,but not within his rights to throw the toys out of the pram if we make him honour his contract.Did that happen,we dont know,only rumours,so let us not judge the man by what people say on here.We pay to watch him play football,which he has done very well for us,and in the year he has been here I think he has been a fine ambassador for the club,and I am sure for as long as he is here,he will give nothing but his best.He will leave at some stage,they all do,and we will miss them.I remember when Di Canio went back to Lazio,I was distraught at the thought of not having this wonderful player in my team.For now we have a difficult season ahead of us ,when Taylor next takes the field this whole episode should be consigned to the dustbin,the only thing that matters is what happens on the pitch.
  • A bit weird how many people are so sensitive about whether a contracted employee of the club they support felt the emotion of disappointment. Not expressed it publicly, or showed it with behaviour, just felt disappointed, according to their manager. Any single contracted employee in any job would be happy to move elsewhere if the offer were good enough. And a contract doesn't come with a clause so that if you sign it, you can no longer feel disappointment for missing out on a good career opportunity. Very strange standards applied.
  • A bit weird how many people are so sensitive about whether a contracted employee of the club they support felt the emotion of disappointment. Not expressed it publicly, or showed it with behaviour, just felt disappointed, according to their manager. Any single contracted employee in any job would be happy to move elsewhere if the offer were good enough. And a contract doesn't come with a clause so that if you sign it, you can no longer feel disappointment for missing out on a good career opportunity. Very strange standards applied.
    I say this with the caveat that I recognise putting our emotions into supporting a football team often requires the suspension of rational thought. So I do kind of get it, but still...
  • Let’s see how he is tomorrow. Of course we all
    hope he get some over the disappointment and shows the fans he is going to get on with doing the job he has done over the last year. I am sure such incidents occur at every club, not all are made public, and it is part and parcel of being a professional footballer.

Who really knows what he was offered salary wise or in terms of a signing on fee. I think financially it will have changed his life and that is bound to cause some regret and thoughts of ‘what could have been’.

My guess is that he will be the same player for us and will want to do his best - he strokes me as that type of player. If not then Bowyer, who incidentally I think is an exceptional man manager, will deal with it in the way that is best for the team. Let’s hope it doesn’t come to that.
  • edited August 2019
    He will be 30 this season. Not sure how wise it is to pay £25kpw to him given our turnover and position. Especially since he will probably want a 3 year contract to boot. We found Taylor and Bowyer basically made him what he is. So if the worst case scenario is he walks at the end of the year, I won’t lose too much sleep over it, honestly. 
  • So glad he is staying as I didn’t have to tell my Son the bad news last night when I picked him up from Cub Camp.

Like Yann, Taylor is our talisman.

However now,  it’s a bit like if your bird had her head turned a bit by another geezer. You’re never going to quite feel the same way about her again and your relationship won’t quite be the same!
  • Tough situation for Lyle. Before signing for us he was a good journeyman footballer, Bowyer has turned him into the exceptional footballer he is now. So torn between loyalty to LB and a big payday. Probably big payday outweighs loyalty - understandedly 
  • So glad he is staying as I didn’t have to tell my Son the bad news last night when I picked him up from Cub Camp.

Like Yann, Taylor is our talisman.

However now,  it’s a bit like if your bird had her head turned a bit by another geezer. You’re never going to quite feel the same way about her again and your relationship won’t quite be the same!
    When she names which of your mates is best looking... You never trust em alone together again.
  • Once he sets foot on the pitch, everything else should be forgotten. He is a professional. That's his job.