Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• cabbles said:
    All I will say is when ever I see Taylor's character criticised, I think back to when he spent time with that lady (sorry can't remember her name) who was in a hospice seriously ill with cancer.

He didn't have to do that and if he brought some happiness to a seriously ill lady in her final days he's OK in my eyes despite what he may post on line. 
    He turned up at the wake in the club after Betty's funeral as well.  My take on it hasn't changed.  He's done the hard miles, playing up in Scotland, earning his shot with us in the Championship, having to wait until he's 29.  My best mate is a Wimbledon fan, I watched him in their League 2 play off final when they beat Plymouth in 2016, and have enjoyed every single moment of watching him in a Charlton shirt, he's never given anything less than 110%.

I sincerely hope he stays, but, I bet if any one of us got offered a contract for £15k a week when we're on a third of that (maybe), then let's be honest, we'd jump at it.  That, coupled with the fact he's on the other side of the hill with regard to his playing career, even if he goes on till he's 37, and that he's spent the majority of his career in the lower leagues, I wouldn't begrudge him a move at all.

I couldn't care less about the social media aspect of his conduct, it's what he does on the pitch.  If he goes, then thanks for the memories, hope he goes on to do very well, except when he plays against us.  

Fantastic post. 
  • He can go as far as I’m concerned coz let’s be honest, he won’t get in the team once we’ve signed Messi, Ronaldo and Mbappe 
  • edited December 2019
  • All I will say is when ever I see Taylor's character criticised, I think back to when he spent time with that lady (sorry can't remember her name) who was in a hospice seriously ill with cancer.

He didn't have to do that and if he brought some happiness to a seriously ill lady in her final days he's OK in my eyes despite what he may post on line. 
    Excellent post.

And also anyone i know who's met him before or after a game has always said what a nice guy he is, always willing to stay around and sign stuff for people etc.
    Can only echo this. I got my Son a shirt for his Birthday and got it signed by all the players before the Birmingham Game - barring Taylor as it was just after the injury. My son was gutted as Taylor is his first real Charlton “hero”. He contacted Taylor on Twitter, got a Happy Birthday tweet from him on his Birthday, and they exchanged messages about getting the shirt signed.  We went to the club shop before the Derby game when Taylor was In there, when he saw the shirt he remembered my Sons name from the tweets and had a little chat with him, did the signing and photo etc etc. 

I’m sure they’ll swop it for one with “Kun Aguero” on the back come January! 😉
  • Can somebody kindly change the title of this thread please. It’s misleading.
  • I don't blame him if he left for a pay rise and a club with better league standing.

But a 29-year-old man posting cryptic posts on social media etc pushing for bites, gets a few then complains about their treatment is just weird. I don't agree with people giving him abuse but why even tempt them, he knows exactly what he is doing with his posts. Not just with his Charlton situation as well, his political posts were way OTT and every time he got a reaction which he wanted, he complained about "abuse".
    Its not hard, at that age to not post anything cryptic until its all sorted, we are not talking about an 18/19-year-old here. I think it shows a little lack of respect and stinks of attention-seeking.

Remind me, did Joe Gomez, Lookman & Poyet post anything cryptic looking for reactions before their contract/transfer was sorted.. No, they didn't and all these players were under 21.

Great player, a fantastic servant for the club and good luck to him whatever he does. I would be delighted if he signed, however, it's getting a little boring now and he needs to grow up a little.

p.s I am in no way condoning some of the moronic people floating around on social media.

I think I am right in saying(which will make a change), that Taylor does not like football and it is purely a job.
    Yes you are.
    Which is why I’m surprised anyone is surprised by how he acts on social media.
    If you don’t like how he acts, don’t follow him.
    Some real strange people about.
  • Rumours in Scotland that Rangers are interested
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2019
    Why would Taylor accept an offer from Duchatelet when we are about to be taken over by a middle East Company. ?

Why would Duchatelet offer Taylor a new contract when he won't be here to pay it ?

Why when Lyle Taylor continued to play well in August despite missing out on a good deal at Brentford are some folk on here disrespected him ?

I understand the EFL being diligent on this take over but each day longer it takes could be a disaster for Cafc chances of staying in the championship. 

If Cawley believes the offer from ESI will be similar (why ) then we better prepare for the worse because we won't find a like for like replacement for Lyle in a January window.
    Only in the summer if still in Championship.

Ps. I heard Lyle say he doesn't watch football then a while after he said he would be a honest pundit if he got a TV gig !
  • Why would Taylor accept an offer from Duchatelet when we are about to be taken over by a middle East Company. ?

Why would Duchatelet offer Taylor a new contract when he won't be here to pay it ?

Why when Lyle Taylor continued to play well in August despite missing out on a good deal at Brentford are some folk on here disrespected him ?

I understand the EFL being diligent on this take over but each day longer it takes could be a disaster for Cafc chances of staying in the championship. 

If Cawley believes the offer from ESI will be similar (why ) then we better prepare for the worse because we won't find a like for like replacement for Lyle in a January window.

Ps. I heard Lyle say he doesn't watch football then a while after he said he would be a honest pundit if he got a TV gig !
    Judging by some of the current pundits, I doubt any of them actually watch football 😳
  • Why would Taylor accept an offer from Duchatelet when we are about to be taken over by a middle East Company. ?

Is that not the strangest aspect of this?  
  • Is there any confirmation that this isn’t a rehash of the contract that was offered in the summer by Roland? Is it definitely a new ‘recent’ contract offer? 
  • stonemuse said:
    Why would Taylor accept an offer from Duchatelet when we are about to be taken over by a middle East Company. ?

Is that not the strangest aspect of this?  
    Agree that is the strangest thing and don't understand why Duchatelet is offering a contract now to Lyle ?

house analogy:
    When you are about to give the keys to the new owner you wouldn't convert the loft in the weeks before !
  • Probably old news he rejects contract a while back.I can see him staying under a new owner.
  • Dizzle said:
    Is there any confirmation that this isn’t a rehash of the contract that was offered in the summer by Roland? Is it definitely a new ‘recent’ contract offer? 
    It was offered around tbe time of his injury or at least that was when I heard about it. A big increase on what he was on but below what was suggested as the Brentford offer.
    Still someway short of what his agent thinks he can get. I no nothing about the lenghth of contract offered.
  • IF Lyle is offered a good but not great contract, he may stay. On the other hand if he is offered a great contract and signs for a three year deal etc, iF we sell him on in 6 months surely all of the money paid out would be recouped, or am I naive about the money involved. 
  • He may well find that what he was offered by Brentford in the summer isn't now on the table......so he might have to take less from them (or anyone)

FWIW I think the RD deal was offered months ago & Taylor is obviously waiting to see what ESI will offer. It may well be that they wont want to rock the boat with other players & may not offer the millions he is after......but they have said it's their 2nd priority after signing LB on a new one so we'll just have wait & see.
  • I think this is fake news or what my old man would have called paper talk.

No mention of this in the quotes from LB’s press conference today.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gave everything for the shirt last season and this until he was injured . Don't care what he does off the pitch to be honest  . Nearly thirty  , I wouldn't begrudge him a big money move .
  • He may well find that what he was offered by Brentford in the summer isn't now on the table......so he might have to take less from them (or anyone)
    So should Karlan Grant who had more of a choice than Taylor have taken a risk and it gone Hudders ....

gotta make hay while the sun shines 
  • We just need to offer him what Brentford did, or put a price on his head of (say) £5m if he does not sign.

January is a great time to sell a striker if a club is there or there about. Say 4th in the league.

Hey, like Brentford!

I would like him to stay because he is a good striker and fits the way we play. If he really wants out it must be a good price so we can afford his replacement.

We will be building for the future so I will cling to that. I will still be gutted.

• Let him go and replace with Toney  and Brewster.
  • edited December 2019
    So what.  He's a championship striker who's been injured as much as he's been fit.  
  • On twitter he only follows Charlton and rangers and only follows 2 leagues efl and spl so a move is defo on..........
  • Just sell him now if he won’t sign, don’t need a half arsed 2nd half of the season while we are struggling to stay up. Great player for us last season and the first 6 weeks of this one but he’ll be a distant memory if a few years when we are going for promotion to the premier league. Won’t blame him if a pay day in Scotland has turned him, he’ll bang goals there too for fun. 
  • shine166 said:
    Just sell him now if he won’t sign, don’t need a half arsed 2nd half of the season while we are struggling to stay up. Great player for us last season and the first 6 weeks of this one but he’ll be a distant memory if a few years when we are going for promotion to the premier league. Won’t blame him if a pay day in Scotland has turned him, he’ll bang goals there too for fun. 

Give over, I am 100% that if Lyle does not leave whether happy or not would give 100%. A lot of this talk is just whispers and assumptions, see how it plays out, people are so quick to jump on players back without knowing sweet FA. This thread is getting a bit tedious now, not quite twitter level but boring.

• What stands out to me is why did Bowyer bring this to the fore yesterday?

There must have been an agenda and reason for doing so. Is it to Taylor or is it to the potential owners? i'm just not clear what it is.

Something strange is going on