Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• Don't like his attutide recently, his done well for us but nobody is bigger then our club
  • shine166 said:
    Just sell him now if he won’t sign, don’t need a half arsed 2nd half of the season while we are struggling to stay up. Great player for us last season and the first 6 weeks of this one but he’ll be a distant memory if a few years when we are going for promotion to the premier league. Won’t blame him if a pay day in Scotland has turned him, he’ll bang goals there too for fun. 

Give over, I am 100% that if Lyle does not leave whether happy or not would give 100%. A lot of this talk is just whispers and assumptions, see how it plays out, people are so quick to jump on players back without knowing sweet FA. This thread is getting a bit tedious now, not quite twitter level but boring.
    Just expressing an opinion on an Internet forum, if this thread is tedious stay away. I’m sure he would give 100%, but his mind would certainly be thinking about the 5 X increase in wages that he deserves ... it’s human nature 
  • edited December 2019
    Richard Cawley: Just to clarify on Lyle Taylor contract story that I did. This wasn't from the press conference - that's why it wasn't reported widely. I spoke to LB on the phone. Some people seem to think they are old quotes - they weren't.
  • Even if I was desperate to stay I would turn down Rollys offer, with new owners just round the corner I would have nothing to lose as that offer will remain on the table and could get better. What surprises me is that this “good offer” was not made a lot earlier. Just before the January window is strange - unless new owners are underwriting it?

Taylor may have ambitions to play in the Premiership, if so, a move to (say) West Brom would be more attractive than us. Rangers are just hoping to pick up another good player for nothing and I do not see him going there as there will be better offers, but I could see a Watford, Southampton or even Crystal Palace being interested. 

All in all, waiting to see what offers come in is best for Taylor.

What about us? New owners will not be planning on a relegation so it is far from certain that Taylor will be sold anyway. Playing hard ball, whatever you think about player power, can be effective. Firstly it means that a proper fee will be required. Secondly it puts pressure on the player with a load of what if’s - serious injury being one. He will still need to put a shift in as he has to maintain the interest and his worth.

Bow making it public suggests to me that he knows Taylor wants out and his agent will no doubt be aware of offers. If we are a richer club by January, I just hope we make them pay good money for him. 
  • Very odd behaviour from Lyle.

He's a hundred percenter on the pitch every game. Everyone who's met him says what a great guy he is. But he appears to be broadcasting porkies and being disruptive to the club.
  • Vincenzo said:
    Very odd behaviour from Lyle.

He's a hundred percenter on the pitch every game. Everyone who's met him says what a great guy he is. But he appears to be broadcasting porkies and being disruptive to the club.
    If someone was looking to engineer a move, then this might be a good way to go about it.
  • It's disappointing cause it's making Lyle come across quite dishonest/two faced. He seems like a proper good bloke in interviews and his commitment when he plays can't be questioned. Really dislike this side to him on social media 
  • edited December 2019
    When he does go , and he looks desperate to ,I hope someone advises him to stay off social media . A new set of fans might not be so keen on his wind ups not to mention the stick he’s going to get from some of our fans . 
  • Sponsored links:

• One thing I'm curious of, if his new contract offer is an indication of what the new owners are willing to pay the top player/striker at the club (and a player /agent rejects this) what is the likelihood of them attracting other high quality players to the club if Lyle leaves,when the rest of the league and some of League one will pay more? Are we really that special that nobody would turn us down, or have we got rose tinted specs?
  • The whole following Rangers on social media thing is calculated and disrespectful to Charlton. If he doesn't want to be here he can go.
  • Sorry if I'm wrong but is it not against rules to tap up players not inside either the last 4 months of their contract or outside of a transfer window? 
  • LTKapal said:
    Sorry if I'm wrong but is it not against rules to tap up players not inside either the last 4 months of their contract or outside of a transfer window? 
    he can speak to whoever he wants from January as he'll be in the final 6 months of his contract but his agent can speak to who he wants when he wants as long as the clubs aren't speaking directly with the player before they enter the final 6 months
  • Isn't there a difference between within English league and SPL which is foreign? But still, six month milestone has not been reached.

Another EFL not fit for purpose dereliction of duty on tapping up.
  • Vincenzo said:
    Very odd behaviour from Lyle.

....or he may consider the contract from Rolly as not a “new” one because the talk has been about the new owners signing him up as one of their first objectives.

Has this offer anything to do with them?

• edited December 2019
    Unless the rules have changed, he could sign for Rangers from next month on a pre-contract agreement as it would be considered a cross border move. Every other club would have to have a bid accepted or wait until the summer.
  • He was telling people to unfollow him because he was sick of the whining. I'll admit, I didn't see the whole context. But I'm at a point with him where it we could get the 4.5m reportedly offered by Brentford in the summer, I'd bite their hand off. He's good, he's not brilliant. Decent touch, good pace, but is made to look better by a general dirth of top notch strikers. 

Don't get me wrong, we're a better team with him in it, and Bonne and Leko won't keep us up, and we don't know where Hemed is. But Taylor seems to get in a lot of rows with supporters on Twitter, whether it's over the offers in the summer, the election, or now this. It's...very weird. And don't think it would be tolerated from almost any other player. 

If I could swap him for Ivan Toney at this point, I would, especially if we came out with some extra money from the deal to possibly get another forward in on loan. 
  • One thing I'm curious of, if his new contract offer is an indication of what the new owners are willing to pay the top player/striker at the club (and a player /agent rejects this) what is the likelihood of them attracting other high quality players to the club if Lyle leaves,when the rest of the league and some of League one will pay more? Are we really that special that nobody would turn us down, or have we got rose tinted specs?
    Oh people will turn us down. And I'm sure other clubs will offer more money in salary. Especially if you're Rangers, and you can sign him on a free in six months. Or you're West Brom, and you still have parachute payments and look almost certain to get promoted. 

I wouldn't take this as being indicative of what the new owners will, or will not, be able to do. I think Taylor is in high demand, and is wanted by teams who could probably offer him twice what we offer him, plus a chance to play in the top flight. We've always been a selling club, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. But what we should be aiming for is that if we lose the likes of Taylor, we get good fees for them, and reinvest that in younger players on lower wages who we can develop into players of similar quality as Taylor.
  • As someone above mentioned, his strength is his strength. Yann-like without the same cleverness. Will be still a good player at 35. Needs a new contract.
  • Sponsored links:

• SDAddick said:
    He was telling people to unfollow him because he was sick of the whining. I'll admit, I didn't see the whole context. But I'm at a point with him where it we could get the 4.5m reportedly offered by Brentford in the summer, I'd bite their hand off. He's good, he's not brilliant. Decent touch, good pace, but is made to look better by a general dirth of top notch strikers. 

Don't get me wrong, we're a better team with him in it, and Bonne and Leko won't keep us up, and we don't know where Hemed is. But Taylor seems to get in a lot of rows with supporters on Twitter, whether it's over the offers in the summer, the election, or now this. It's...very weird. And don't think it would be tolerated from almost any other player. 

If I could swap him for Ivan Toney at this point, I would, especially if we came out with some extra money from the deal to possibly get another forward in on loan. 

Except Posh want £13m for Toney which is ridiculous. However, he is 23 (and has scored 38 goals in his last 80 appearances) whereas Taylor is almost 30 so there is still a big difference in valuations - and it's not in our favour.
  • SDAddick said:
    He was telling people to unfollow him because he was sick of the whining. I'll admit, I didn't see the whole context. But I'm at a point with him where it we could get the 4.5m reportedly offered by Brentford in the summer, I'd bite their hand off. He's good, he's not brilliant. Decent touch, good pace, but is made to look better by a general dirth of top notch strikers. 

Except Posh want £13m for Toney which is ridiculous. However, he is 23 (and has scored 38 goals in his last 80 appearances) whereas Taylor is almost 30 so there is still a big difference in valuations - and it's not in our favour.
    Didn't know that about Toney. That's a crazy amount of money. 
  • Get in Taylor.
  • Not that it really matters but how did he celebrate?