Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• It’s alright saying he’s replaceable but you have to line up a replacement first, if we miss out on Ivan Toney then what? Surely from a business point of view you’re better off just paying Lyle as much as he wants being a proven quality Championship striker
    How do we know they ain't got replacements lined up?
  • Even if you haven't got replacements lined up, you can't keep someone here who either doesn't want to be here or who will only stay here if we agreed to pay an amount which we don't think he's worth. He rejected the offer.
  • Striker market snapshot from Europe...my Czech club, Viktoria Plzen have a star striker, Michal Krmencik. He's 26, and before last season Bordeaux, and allegedly Newcastle too, were prepared to pay £6m for him. Unlike many continental strikers he is robust as well as pacey and I could imagine him doing well in the English game (at least based on what I see on the pitch, which I'll come back to). Anyway, Viktoria doubled his salary, his agent shut up, and he stayed. Within a couple of months, did his ACL, out for the season. Only back to fitness for this new season, and some talk about whether he has lost some pace. But he has 10 goals already. Anyway, Genoa want him. Looks like the clubs are arguing in the price range £4-5M with his salary offer coming out at - and this caught my eye, given Taylor - 16k a week. 

If he has not lost pace, then he would potentially be a monster in the Championship, and certainly an upgrade on Taylor -as a footballer. And the overall fee plus salary package is what many Championship clubs pay for strikers, and more. Ross McCormick, anyone, to pluck one from the air.

The risk though is that, I am pretty sure he speaks no English, and Czech players generally don't seem to adapt so well when they move abroad. So I am not sure how quickly or how well he would fit into our club ethic and dressing room. How would you assess that in advance, if Bow can't sit down, look him in the eye, and have a chat with him? All those considerations add to the upward pressure on prices for strikers from within the English leagues. That's the issue we face when deciding to sell Ttaylor. But I am glad it isn't Duchatelet assessing that issue -and it would have been, if these guys had not pushed the deal through before the window. That's a positive worth reflecting on.
  • iamdan said:
    I heard the same. 
    Stormed out & went home. 
    Unlike Parker, he didn't refuse to train and if you saw how he played ? It didn't affect his performances.

If you want him to be a panto villian so be it.

• It’s alright saying he’s replaceable but you have to line up a replacement first, if we miss out on Ivan Toney then what? Surely from a business point of view you’re better off just paying Lyle as much as he wants being a proven quality Championship striker
    How many championship games has Lyle played in his career and how many goals has he scored (and how many were penalties)?
  • cafctom said:
    The amount of passive aggressive “see ya” or “cheerio Lyle” type messages in response to this demonstrate that really, deep down, very few of us want him to leave.
    I don’t want him to leave - but he does want to leave for whatever reason and I would personally rather get a new striker in now and Lyle gets his move away he doesn’t owe the club anything but I will always want what is best for my club 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chunes said:
    My mate who works at the club says ESI's head scout says Lyle's not good enough anyway. We're signing two strikers from the Dubai third division to replace him. 
    Sureely not our new scout?????

aaarghhhh
  • edited January 2020
    Lyles tantrum for not getting his life changing move to Brentford and subsequent lack of effort in our early season matches prove he’s a waste of time , move him on 
    Just for once, do your straight posts from earlier today on this subject, as some new CL folk might not understand your unique take on all things Cafc.
    Cheers mate.
  • Lyle was offered a very good deal and one he has chosen to turn down 

sell him move on no big deal 
    You're one of those I'm referring to. It's no big deal to sell him. The big deal is replacing him effectively. I don't say that ESI won't or can't, but nobody should underestimate the difficulty in doing so. We are not selling a fleet of fucking lorries.
    Be hard after the 31st Jan
  • He is our most important player , we can’t offer him European football or a chance of premiership football next year but he would be worth matching financially what these clubs offer because of what he brings to us as a whole package (providing he is fit enough to play! ) 

• Cheers Lyle. Now get rid to the highest bidder. 
    He will end up at West Brom  or Leeds I suspect. Charlton provided a platform for him and he took it. Good luck and thanks for the memories. Go and pursue your career elsewhere and get some financial  security. That's football !!!
  • I really wish we had a dislike button.

I'd be using it extensively for some of the responses on this thread.

• Got no issues with him wanting to leave however I have my doubts that we will easily draft in a 20 goal a season replacement. They are few and far between plus they may be doing at a club now but its no guarantee that they will move to us and continue their scoring form.

The same applies to Taylor when he moves on, he could struggle.
  • iamdan said:
    I heard the same. 
    Stormed out & went home. 
    Unlike Parker, he didn't refuse to train and if you saw how he played ? It didn't affect his performances.

If you want him to be a panto villian so be it.

Just reporting what I heard.. 

• Sponsored links:

• Taylor will be missed as he is a very good player however if he doesn't have the fire in his belly then he is dead wood, he is one player from a squad, give me Williams , Cullen , Field and hopefully Greene collectively over  1 lyle Taylor anyday.

• "Greedy" Bowyer and his evil agent rejected an offer from the owner in the summer.

We showed him not to disrespect Charlton. Wasnt that good a manager anyway, never managed above league 1, and as he rejected an offer he clearly didn't want to be here.

Don't want people like that at the club.

Where is Bowyer now by the way?
      Henry. A lot of your posts have a 'you're all a bunch of wank*rs and I'm not!  ' kind of feel to them.

Not sure if that's intentional?

Another snowflake with no sense of humour. : - )

Pointing out that there are two sides to a story isn't calling anyone a wanker nor was that my intention now or ever.

If I wanted to call someone out I would but then Id get abuse for that too.

Not sure why you took it so personally when it was clearly a joke.
  • He must be confident of getting a big money move elsewhere.
    Whether theres one there is another thing.

His ego will dictate. And I have no problem with his ego. It's what's made him the player he is.
    Would hate to see it backfire on him though.
  • Lyle was offered a very good deal and one he has chosen to turn down 

sell him move on no big deal 
    You're one of those I'm referring to. It's no big deal to sell him. The big deal is replacing him effectively. I don't say that ESI won't or can't, but nobody should underestimate the difficulty in doing so. We are not selling a fleet of fucking lorries.
    If he doesn't want to be here he becomes much easier to replace.
  • Chunes said:
    @nth_london_addick I agree he has to be let go but it is a big deal. We're in a relegation battle and we're losing our top scorer with no other fully fit strikers in the squad.
     But he isn't a fully fit striker.
    Passing a medical may be a problem
  • edited January 2020
    Disappointing but I can understand Lyle wanting to go, last chance for him really to get the best possible payday. If he were younger I reckon ESI would make him an offer he couldn't turn down because his value would only increase but given the fact that he's 29 I can understand them perhaps not wanting to break the bank to keep him.