Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Lyle Taylor - signed for Cambridge (p268)

Comments

• edited January 2020
    Who would seriously buy him now if he's a few months away from being a free agent?

He's nearly 30 and has a possible niggly injury.
    He'd be better off not signing a new contract with us. Get his head down. Put in some impressive performances and watch the big money offers roll in over the summer.

Pressures on him no doubt.

Also a risk if a good offer is on the table now. I do understand where you are coming from, but if he can get 20k a week and a decent signing on fee now, why risk a better offer in the summer?
     Problem for him is. We hold his cards at the moment.
  • cafctom said:
    Rossman92 said:
    It is what it is. I appreciate what he's done for us and his goals will be hard to replace, but we'll find a decent replacement. That's the first thing Southall did was tell Lee to buy a striker.

The fans will find a new favorite. Mine continues to be Jonny Williams, the man who took a pay cut to stay with us. While I dont blame Lyle for looking for more money, it is still refreshing to have the likes of Williams and Solly in the team who have a bit of loyalty to Charlton
    Seen it suggested a few times that Jonny Williams “took a paycut” to stay with us.

That isn’t strictly true. 

Yes, he is earning less money than he was on for his previous contract. But he didn’t ‘choose’ us over an alternative option that would have given him more money. He took time in the Summer to evaluate his options and see what he could get - and no club was going to offer him the money that he was on previously, and hence he re-signed with us.

Very different to ‘taking a pay cut to be with Charlton’
    I was told different on Williams. Technically no formal offer was made but a club got in contact regarding a deal. It involved a pay as you play bonus but the information I received was that if he played 30 games he would have doubled his annual salary with us. 
    probably why he took our offer ;)
  • edited January 2020
    isn't the reality that unless we change our wage structure to the bonkers top level of the championship and above (and I'm not saying we should) we are going to continually get this issue? Players who prove their worth at this level have a queue of 6 or 7 clubs ready to pick them up on much better deals

The other thing that occurs to me is the possible reason behind the ESI purchase. Perhaps they saw the value in the quality of our backroom staff and the solid infrastructure and want to carry on getting the amazing value our team are delivering, with a bit of tweaking Bowyer could be flying in this league, maybe that is the big gamble and if you think about it fairly low risk relative to splurging tens of millions and being caught in the same trap as so many other big spending clubs. It is puzzling though that the backroom team haven't been signed up, but as mentioned that may be Bowyer's insistence and there may still be a commitment there.

• CAFCsayer said:
    cs1986 said:
    I have seen Rangers mentioned loads on here but that would be a strange one for me. They have morelos who is an absolute goal machine 28 in 35 this year in all competitions. Lyle is nowhere near his level. I can't see much of a market for him at present.

Rumoured to be off to the prem
    Whoever buys him will have to accept that they will be paying for him to spend some time in the stands - in 126 appearances he has been booked 39 times and sent off on 7 other occasions.

Against the only other decent side in Scotland, Celtic, he has failed to score a single goal in 11 appearances but has been booked on 4 occasions and sent off twice.
    But who was he playing for when up against Celtic? Teams who can barely get out of their own half. No wonder he got frustrated and picked up yellow and red cards. 
  • Who would seriously buy him now if he's a few months away from being a free agent?

He'd be better off not signing a new contract with us. Get his head down. Put in some impressive performances and watch the big money offers roll in over the summer.

Also a risk if a good offer is on the table now. I do understand where you are coming from, but if he can get 20k a week and a decent signing on fee now, why risk a better offer in the summer?
    That's debatable. If it's clear he wants to go than the club are going to be massively tempted to cash in now. 
  • Who would seriously buy him now if he's a few months away from being a free agent?

That's debatable. If it's clear he wants to go than the club are going to be massively tempted to cash in now. 
     Would have to be a big offer I would think.

As I say he's a few months away. 
    I really don't think we are desperate for the money as we once would have been, so in a strange sort of way can name our price.  Add in to the fact any suitor has got to meet his high wage demands. Is it worth taking a punt on him now?
    Taylor will be hoping ESI cut him a bit of slack and don't inflate his price.
    Whether they would do that remains to be seen.

Would have to be a big offer I would think.

As I say he's a few months away. 
    I really don't think we are desperate for the money as we once would have been, so in a strange sort of way can name our price.  Add in to the fact any suitor has got to meet his high wage demands. Is it worth taking a punt on him now?
    Taylor will be hoping ESI cut him a bit of slack and don't inflate his price.
    Whether they would do that remains to be seen.
    Very true. But if someone bids 2million it's going to be tempting to take. 
  • razil said:
    isn't the reality that unless we change our wage structure to the bonkers top level of the championship and above (and I'm not saying we should) we are going to continually get this issue? Players who prove their worth at this level have a queue of 6 or 7 clubs ready to pick them up on much better deals

The other thing that occurs to me is the possible reason behind the ESI purchase. Perhaps they saw the value in the quality of our backroom staff and the solid infrastructure and want to carry on getting the amazing value our team are delivering, with a bit of tweaking Bowyer could be flying in this league, maybe that is the big gamble and if you think about it fairly low risk relative to splurging tens of millions and being caught in the same trap as so many other big spending clubs. It is puzzling though that the backroom team haven't been signed up, but as mentioned that may be Bowyer's insistence and there may still be a commitment there.

Hmm, just seen the SLP thing apparently the reverse is the case..
  • razil said:
    razil said:

However the Southall interview suggests that it is or at least was Bowyer's insistence to get the transfer window done before sorting his own deal. 

Maybe Bow's getting nervous now.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    razil said:
    razil said:

However the Southall interview suggests that it is or at least was Bowyer's insistence to get the transfer window done before sorting his own deal. 

could well be the LT issue, if thats what it takes you can imagine Bows will be keen to sort it, speaks his mind does Lee..
  • Sponsored links:

• Dazzler21 said:
    razil said:
    razil said:

Or Bowyer realises he wont get players through the door till his own future is confirmed
  • Lyle Taylor thing in this morning's article is interesting. 

We all assume he wants out/has had his turned. But then Bows mentions that Taylor wants him to sign a new deal?
  • Dazzler21 said:
    razil said:
    razil said:

Or Bowyer realises he wont get players through the door till his own future is confirmed
      Remember Murray saying a similar thing about Curbs when he was stalling on a deal and he was probably right.

...and then we ended up with Dowie. 
  • edited January 2020
    CAFCsayer said:
    cs1986 said:
    I have seen Rangers mentioned loads on here but that would be a strange one for me. They have morelos who is an absolute goal machine 28 in 35 this year in all competitions. Lyle is nowhere near his level. I can't see much of a market for him at present.

Whoever buys him will have to accept that they will be paying for him to spend some time in the stands - in 126 appearances he has been booked 39 times and sent off on 7 other occasions.

Against the only other decent side in Scotland, Celtic, he has failed to score a single goal in 11 appearances but has been booked on 4 occasions and sent off twice.
    But who was he playing for when up against Celtic? Teams who can barely get out of their own half. No wonder he got frustrated and picked up yellow and red cards. 
    All the games were for Rangers who have won 16, drawn 2 and lost just once this season, beat Celtic at Celtic Park last week and will go top if they win their game in hand. They've also scored 53 goals in those 19 matches so clearly do cross the half way line on occasions.

Not sure why he should get quite so "frustrated" given that scenario?  
  • I think a lot of this is to do with agents, bows agent , lyles agent and the fact Matt is an agent himself, could turn into a pissing contest.
  • CH4RLTON said:
    I think a lot of this is to do with agents, bows agent , lyles agent and the fact Matt is an agent himself, could turn into a pissing contest.
    They can get ugly. 
  • CAFCsayer said:
    cs1986 said:

All the games were for Rangers who have won 16, drawn 2 and lost just once this season, beat Celtic at Celtic Park last week and will go top if they win their game in hand. They've also scored 53 goals in those 19 matches so clearly do cross the half way line on occasions.

Not sure why he should get quite so "frustrated" given that scenario?  
    Sorry, my apologies. I thought that you were talking about Lyle Taylor's record against Celtic!! 

• We all assume he wants out/has had his turned.
    Not all of us mate
    Ok if we are being pedantic the majority believe(d) that the news from the last couple of weeks meant Taylor had no intention of staying. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I reckon LB can convince him to stay once he's signed his contract
  • MS "Lyle is not for sale, even if he doesn’t sign a new deal he’s here until the end of the season." 

boom
    MS "Take Lyle, if someone offered a ridiculous amount of money... I need to look at the long-term stability of the club".
  • Addickted said:
    MS "Lyle is not for sale, even if he doesn’t sign a new deal he’s here until the end of the season." 

boom
    MS "Take Lyle, if someone offered a ridiculous amount of money... I need to look at the long-term stability of the club".
    That's everyone though. If we signed Cullen tomorrow for 2mil and then got offered 20mil in the summer, we would take it. 
  • If Bowyer signs a five year deal I wonder how difficult it'll be for Lyle to walk away from this project either this month or in the summer

Its a bloody big risk hearing what MS has just said
  • Bit sketchy on the Taylor saga.

MS said if big money offer comes in he'll have to look at it.
    10 mins later said he's not going anywhere??
  • MS "Lyle is not for sale, even if he doesn’t sign a new deal he’s here until the end of the season." 

boom
    Cue Taylor sending cryptic messages on twitter and then being injured until May. 

• Brentford looking elsewhere for a striker, Taylor could still sign a contract with us, especially if Bowyer's contract is sorted out on the weekend, all we need now is new players and would be complete, especially with JF-C also on the bench Saturday

boom
    Cue Taylor sending cryptic messages on twitter and then being injured until May. 

You seen his instagram post from 2mins ago?

Rather odd... just a little moonwalking dog? about as cryptic as it can get.